recommendations for graphic novels

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,706
Forum Member
✭✭✭
hi
was looking for recommendations ,i've never really read one but my friends read comics when I was a kid mainly 2000ad ,I was interested in a story that was self contained within a book but wasnt so sure such a thing existed or if it did what it was called when I was younger, recently stumbled upon this;

http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/lists/2009/11/the-20-best-graphic-novels-of-the-decade.html?p=2

some of these take my interest ,i'm mainly into science fiction and I love stuff like akira (that was the main thing that took my interest as a kid) what would be a good one for me to get?

Comments

• BrigonBrigon Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have heard good things about Y The Last Man but it has quite a few volumes. Watchmen is very good as a self contained story. Sandman is also a good one to try out but again has multiple volumes and isn't self contained.. Visit your local library. They will likely have a few graphic novels for you to read to see what kind of stuff you like and dislike.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brigon wrote: »
    I have heard good things about Y The Last Man but it has quite a few volumes. Watchmen is very good as a self contained story. Sandman is also a good one to try out but again has multiple volumes and isn't self contained.. Visit your local library. They will likely have a few graphic novels for you to read to see what kind of stuff you like and dislike.

ah great idea, thanks for mentioning that, i'd never thought about checking out the library!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    V For Vendetta - Alan Moore
    Watchmen
    Ex Machina (its on the list, although its more than one volume)

If you are willing to delve into Superhero stuff then I'd certainly have to say Dark Knight Returns, or Superman Red Son.

For a totally out there suggestion try Bryan Talbots 'Alice in Sunderland'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really self-contained, but lots of them out there to get stuck into is the Walking Dead.

I read a lot of Marvel/DC/Image stuff, but The Walking Dead is THE most gripping brilliant read around. Strong images and ideas, but its in black and white so the gore isnt too crazy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    christocar wrote: »
    Not really self-contained, but lots of them out there to get stuck into is the Walking Dead.

I read a lot of Marvel/DC/Image stuff, but The Walking Dead is THE most gripping brilliant read around. Strong images and ideas, but its in black and white so the gore isnt too crazy.

Ooo good choice. I borrowed a few off a work colleague a few years back and they were superb, keep dabbling with the idea of getting the 1000 page anthology off Amazon they just released. Not a bad way to spend approx £20 I reckon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cheers guys
    i'm not so into the superhero type of storylines although I did like the films scott pilgrim vs the world and kick ass. thanks for those suggestions, here is the nearest store thats opened up;
    http://welchtoons.blogspot.com/2009/09/new-worthing-comic-shop.html
    unfortunately the the website doesn't seem to work when I go through the link
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UCLGeogPhD wrote: »
    Ooo good choice. I borrowed a few off a work colleague a few years back and they were superb, keep dabbling with the idea of getting the 1000 page anthology off Amazon they just released. Not a bad way to spend approx £20 I reckon.
    Do it. Then read it all in 24 hours. Because its THAT GOOD.

:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    hi
    was looking for recommendations ,i've never really read one but my friends read comics when I was a kid mainly 2000ad ,I was interested in a story that was self contained within a book but wasnt so sure such a thing existed or if it did what it was called when I was younger, recently stumbled upon this;

http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/lists/2009/11/the-20-best-graphic-novels-of-the-decade.html?p=2

some of these take my interest ,i'm mainly into science fiction and I love stuff like akira (that was the main thing that took my interest as a kid) what would be a good one for me to get?

I love graphic novels but the hate superhero crap too (sorry superhero fans:p). There's some fine GN on that list and I'd highly recommend anything by Chris Ware, Daniel Clowes and Craig Thompson. You might also like Killoffer's 676 Apparitions of Killoffer (my personal favourite).

I've mentioned it before on another thread but Paul Gravett's Graphic Novels:Stories To Change Your Life is a great place to start when trying to identify the right sort of GN.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lil lexie wrote: »
    I love graphic novels but the hate superhero crap too (sorry superhero fans:p). There's some fine GN on that list and I'd highly recommend anything by Chris Ware, Daniel Clowes and Craig Thompson. You might also like Killoffer's 676 Apparitions of Killoffer (my personal favourite).

I've mentioned it before on another thread but Paul Gravett's Graphic Novels:Stories To Change Your Life is a great place to start when trying to identify the right sort of GN.

thanks! :)
    I'll hunt down the paul gravett recommendation. and will check out those other authors you mentioned.

btw I thought I might mention it here, but I saw this in the news the other day
    http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/post/2011/06/rage-comic-book-based-on-id-softwares-video-game-hits-stores/1
    is anyone here gonna grab a copy of this? and what do you guys think? I might get them since i'm looking forward to the game rage and I liked quake and doom games. here is some of the artwork;
    http://www.darkhorse.com/Blog/455/rage-page-process
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Just getting into them myself. A friend of mine is introducing me to them. I have started off with Batman Year One as I love the Batman films and arkham asylum video game and it's got me hooked :)
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Everyone should read Art Spiegelman's Maus. If it's superheroics you're looking for, Dc The Golden Age is very good. Or the first collection of Astro City.
  • clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member
    Everyone should read Art Spiegelman's Maus. If it's superheroics you're looking for, Dc The Golden Age is very good. Or the first collection of Astro City.

Spooky I just got this out of the library today (and I never come in this part of the forums... just saw this thread on front page. )
    Will be the first graphic novel I ever read too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my copy of the first part of the rage comic arrived today.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Preacher, by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon.

It's not a GN, but it isn't ongoing anymore and so is self-contained.

66 monthly issues, five one-shots, and a four issue limited series about one of the characters. It's all been collected together in a set of nine trade paperbacks.

It's bloody brilliant. Highly recommended.
  • Octopus_PrimeOctopus_Prime Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    Preacher, by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon.

It's not a GN, but it isn't ongoing anymore and so is self-contained.

66 monthly issues, five one-shots, and a four issue limited series about one of the characters. It's all been collected together in a set of nine trade paperbacks.

It's bloody brilliant. Highly recommended.

agreed, that's what got me in to reading Graphic Novels, I recommend Y:The Last Man.........really good storyline, very intriguing and funny.
  • robo2robo2 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'll give you a decent list
    series
    preacher
    sandman
    grant morrisons animal man
    the boys
    warren ellis - authority
    warren ellis - planetary
    alan moores - swamp thing
    alan moores abc comics line (tom strong, top 10 + league of extraordinary gentlemen)
    powers
    hellboy
    astro city
    the walking dead

single volume stuff
    v for vendetta
    watchmen
    maus
    will eisners a contract with god trilogy
    palomar

pure superhero graphic novels
    ultimate spiderman
    ultimate xmen
    frank millars daredevil
    john byrnes ff
    peter davids hulk
    grant morrisons new x men
    claremonts x men (marvel masterworks uncanny xmen)
    invincible
    geoff johns flash
    jla
    jsa