Leona Lewis Crap Sales

2»

Comments

• Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OnaOakey wrote: »
    No, but he's more likely to compare like with like. Both Little Mix and Leon released their first single off the back of the X Factor dominating the media for however many months beforehand, so therefore would be expected to sell far more quickly and in larger amounts than other artists in their first week, as no other single receives close to the amount of hype that the X Factor winner's single does. It's a completely different entity.

You do understand that Little Mix HAVE sold more than any other artist in the first week of slaes, right? That is why they currently have the highest week-1 sales this year. They haven't had poor sales by this year's standard.

This, of course, has nothing to do with comparing their sales to Leon's - who didn't release his winner's single this year.
    Nicola37 wrote: »
    Oh good grief OP you really shouldn't have bothered:D

DS really does need a red blinking light that says "THIS IS SARCASTIC BTW!" :D

I know what you mean! I though comparing to Bob the Builder would be a clear enough giveaway, but I guess not :p

To those unsure - I don't actually think Leona is a massive failure!

I'm a guy, though, btw. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gneiss wrote: »
    This is going to go as well as my recent thread...

You'll spend two days explaining yourself before thinking, f*** it why bother! :D

:D:D:D
  • Options
    P BarnardP Barnard Posts: 2,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought the Leona CD (Hurt) and I have to say its the only Leona track I've bought as I don't normally like her stuff. I like her voice, but not her record companies choice of songs.

My theory is she is experimenting with other styles and genres in an attempt to pull in new fans, and guess what, it worked!

This EP was just a bunch of cover version aimed at giving fans an early Christmas present whilst waiting for the album. It was never intended to be a highly promoted single.

Long live Bob The Builder! :)
  • Options
    TrustFundBabyTrustFundBaby Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It might help if she brang out something original for once.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nastyman69 wrote: »
    We all know how well Leona has done in her sales

She shouldn't need to sell her records at a reduced price
  • Options
    galenagalena Posts: 7,277
    Forum Member
    Helbore wrote: »
    You do understand that Little Mix HAVE sold more than any other artist in the first week of slaes, right? That is why they currently have the highest week-1 sales this year. They haven't had poor sales by this year's standard.
    Maybe that's because there haven't been any other highly promoted charity/talent show singles this year so far? Let's wait and see how the figures are looking by the end of the year, once the MW sales figures are added to the mix

This, of course, has nothing to do with comparing their sales to Leon's - who didn't release his winner's single this year.

I know what you mean! I though comparing to Bob the Builder would be a clear enough giveaway, but I guess not :p

To those unsure - I don't actually think Leona is a massive failure!

I'm a guy, though, btw. ;)

All this proves is a novelty single by an iconic TV character - watched and loved by generations of children can sell more copies than a rather poorly chosen cover released by the winner of a talent show. Nothing else ... Your argument contains a huge logical fallacy that a single being less successful than a highly successful single makes it a failure - it doesn't - it just makes it - less successful ...
    I
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    galena wrote: »
    Maybe that's because there haven't been any other highly promoted charity/talent show singles this year so far? Let's wait and see how the figures are looking by the end of the year, once the MW sales figures are added to the mix

Do you understand why I made that point you quoted? It was being implied that they had failed to do something that they actually have done.

What they may or may not do - or what any other single from any other artist from now on may do - is immaterial to that point.
    All this proves is a novelty single by an iconic TV character - watched and loved by generations of children can sell more copies than a rather poorly chosen cover released by the winner of a talent show. Nothing else ... Your argument contains a huge logical fallacy that a single being less successful than a highly successful single makes it a failure - it doesn't - it just makes it - less successful ...
    I

I think you misunderstood the point of my argument. I know the OP contains a logical fallacy.
  • Options
    EvilLlamaThingyEvilLlamaThingy Posts: 6,667
    Forum Member
    galena wrote: »
    I

http://www.wikihow.com/Detect-Sarcasm-in-Writing
  • Options
    batman.batman. Posts: 8,906
    Forum Member
    It might help if she brang out something original for once.

It's only the second single that's a cover she's released? :confused: Not including the winner's single as nearly all are covers.
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I like "scare quotes", I use them a lot but I've never heard them called that before... :D
  • Options
    priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think everyone had enough of leona and her long breaks just to take out songs that sound the same and will be perform with her in a long dress standing still
  • Options
    OnaOakeyOnaOakey Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You do understand that Little Mix HAVE sold more than any other artist in the first week of sales, right? That is why they currently have the highest week 1 sales this year. They haven't had poor sales by this year's standard.

Of course I understand that. I think you missed my point. Whoever the winner of the X Factor was, it was pretty much a given that their first week sales were going to be large and that they'd get straight to number 1, particularly as no rival campaign has really got going (I'm not counting MW, as they're not being portrayed as an 'anti-X Factor stick it to Cowell' option).

The winner's single is released off the back of a 23 week show that is one of the most-watched in the country and dominates the tabloids for months. You can't say that about any other artist this year. My point was that it's a more valid comparison (for Simon at least) to compare this year's winner's sales with previous years, that have received similar publicity. Single sales have in fact increased this year, so while in terms of general first week single sales 210K is a good figure (but, like I said, from the huge amount of hype the show gets the single was always going to sell well), when contrasted with similar acts it's actually quite poor.
  • Options
    priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    however i do know leona does a lot for animal charity which i love
  • Options
    Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    priscilla wrote: »
    i think everyone had enough of leona and her long breaks just to take out songs that sound the same and will be perform with her in a long dress standing still

I think you have a point, she needs to come back and perform like this, it will show a different side to her.

Sweet Dreams Are Made Of This
    Take A Bow
    Forgive Me
    Glassheart
  • Options
    galenagalena Posts: 7,277
    Forum Member
    Do you understand why I made that point you quoted? It was being implied that they had failed to do something that they actually have done.

What they may or may not do - or what any other single from any other artist from now on may do - is immaterial to that point.

I think you misunderstood the point of my argument. I know the OP contains a logical fallacy.

I think the point the OP was making - in a rather obscure way - was that since it would be pointless to compare Leona's sales with those of a popular novelty single, it would be equally pointless to compare LM with previous X Factor winners - though apparently perfectly fair to compare them with other singles which haven't received anything like the same publicity? I get a feeling that if LM had sold - say 800K in their first week - that their fans wouldn't find such comparisons with previous winners quite so pointless :cool: