Burning .mkv files onto DVD?

I've got some MKV files that I want to burn to disc, but I've never done it before...

Can I burn them onto normal DVD-R?
Do I need a HDTV or Blu Ray Player to watch them?

And what is the best software to use to do it?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What resolution and frame rate are they ?
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes they can be converted and burned to a standard DVD.
    Try this for starters - it couldn't be simpler
    http://www.freemake.com/

Choose the file you want to convert/burn
    Choose what you want to burn it to - e.g.DVD then single layer DVD5 or dual layer DVD9 or Blu-Ray if you have a BR burner
    Click 'Burn' and leave it to get on with it
  • EvanWhisper05EvanWhisper05 Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    720p, not sure about framerate
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .mkv is just another piece of data as far as DVD burner software like Nero.

Just burn a data DVD in Nero (or whatever software you have) with however many .mkv files you can fit on a DVD-R

I don't know of any standalone DVD player (under the TV type) that will play .mkv, several BluRay players support .mkv (and .mp4, .avi) on a DVD-R but you would need to try it to find out.

Whatever TV the BluRay player is connected to will be fine, if that TV is HD then the 720p .mkv will play back in 720p.

Obviously you can play back the .mkv on a PC/laptop that has an appropriate software player. VLC is very good.

Note that some BluRay players that support .mkv might have trouble with certain .mkv files. Embedded subtitles can be an issue, these can be removed without re-encoding the audio/video with something like: MKVmergeGUI

Many BluRay players have a USB socket, no need to burn a DVD-R in that case just copy the .mkv files to a USB stick.

Some HDTVs have USB .mkv support too.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    720p, not sure about framerate

720p50 can be burn't in AVCHD format to a DVD Blank either mpeg2 or AVCH264 compressed. You need a blu-ray player to play it back though.

Other than that it will need downscaling to 576i or 480i and compressed using mpeg2., as already posted.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are these .mkv files something that you've downloaded from the net and want to convert and watch on any DVD player (or convert to Blu-Ray and watch on a BR player)?
    If that's the case, the suggestion I gave in post 3 will do the job - free and easy.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DeVeDe.