Options

Why Andy Murray should win BBC Sports Personality of the Year?

Comments

• Options
    croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gunner95 wrote: »
    I personally thought Murray deserved it last year - olympic gold and silver, US open win, and wimbledon final, as opposed to TDF victory, olympic gold and monumental **** up in the road race.

But going by the criteria last year set, Chris Froome has to be a contender.

I do hope both Froome and Murray are Sirs.

I agree with you about Froome - however I thought Mo Farah's achievements last year should have meant he won it quite comfortably.
  • Options
    JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gunner95 wrote: »
    ...Chris Froome has to be a contender.

Can we not count those chickens just yet please?
  • Options
    Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    I think in light of the fact there hasn't been a British winner of the Mens tournament at Wimbledon in the Open era pretty much makes Murray a shoe-in for the BBC SPOTY award. Chris Froome if he wins TdF no doubt will figure somewhere in there but sadly that standard has already been set by Wiggins, I honestly can't see 2 tour winners taking home the award 2 years in a row. In terms of prestige and historic occasion Murray's victory basically blows anything and everything else out of the water.
  • Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There probably hasn't been a real shoo-in for the award since Flintoff won but Murray is a sure thing - only real debate is who finishes 2nd & 3rd.
  • Options
    Sylvester2007Sylvester2007 Posts: 4,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5 months to go yet, who knows what is going to happen, but at this stage, Murray looks a shoe in.
  • Options
    hilduffluvahilduffluva Posts: 3,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this is his now! I mean first British person to win Wimbledon in 77 years! It is his now by a mile!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    I'm glad Andy didn't win it last year, will feel so much better for him this year and I'm in no doubt it will be him.

There is only one achievement that would be more recognised than a British person winning Wimbledon and that would be England winning the football World Cup.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Murray no question. The first Briton to win Wimbledon in 70+ years.

Poor old Chris Froome going up and down France doesn't have a chance sadly. Plus i really don't think the public really know him. :/
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    2014 SPOTY- Roy Hodgson (winning World Cup manager)

lol, just kidding.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    2014 SPOTY- Roy Hodgson (winning World Cup manager)

lol, just kidding.

Well that's the 2014 award - and a manager/team could not win the personality award anyway.:D

2013 is Murray's year - only some miracle performance at the World Athletics champs (and thats highly unlikely) could threaten him now and that's a 1 per cent chance.
  • Options
    Green_StampGreen_Stamp Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No individual has nearly stood out accept for Murray and given the nature of the Wimbledon victory he was always going to win this popularity contest.

The first British male winner of Wimbledon always would even if they has never done anything else in that entire year, or even career.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the only thing that could beat him is if Sir Kevin Sinfield lead England to the Rugby League World Cup and developed a cure for cancer whilst at the same time thwarting an Al Quieda plot to assassinate the whole Royal Family,
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    I think the only thing that could beat him is if Sir Kevin Sinfield lead England to the Rugby League World Cup and developed a cure for cancer whilst at the same time thwarting an Al Quieda plot to assassinate the whole Royal Family,

Isn't that how Giggs won? ;)
  • Options
    mikesuffsmikesuffs Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    Maybe, they'll get Lennox Lewis to award it again. Worked well with the third place trophy last year. :o
  • Options
    popmusicmanpopmusicman Posts: 2,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The big question is whether Andy will come to the show as he is normally is in Florida training.

He has not been at the SPOTY show for years and has been adamant that training comes first which I guess is why he is Wimbledon champion
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    this is his now! I mean first British person to win Wimbledon in 77 years! It is his now by a mile!
    SJB 2007 wrote: »
    Murray no question. The first Briton to win Wimbledon in 70+ years.

Poor old Chris Froome going up and down France doesn't have a chance sadly. Plus i really don't think the public really know him. :/

Virginia Wade won in 1977 :)
  • Options
    CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    The big question is whether Andy will come to the show as he is normally is in Florida training.

He has not been at the SPOTY show for years and has been adamant that training comes first which I guess is why he is Wimbledon champion

It's a long way away yet but I see him making an exception for this year
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope he is able to shift around his training by a couple of days to go and collect the SPOTY trophy, the BBC and his sponsors will be putting a lot of pressure on him to be there.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No individual has nearly stood out accept for Murray and given the nature of the Wimbledon victory he was always going to win this popularity contest.

The first British male winner of Wimbledon always would even if they has never done anything else in that entire year, or even career.

What about Rose wining over in America for the first time in quite a long while, (in golf) I think that he deserves a mention for his feat there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What about Rose wining over in America for the first time in quite a long while, (in golf) I think that he deserves a mention for his feat there.

A Wimbledon title is a million times more popular than winning any golfing major to the British public never mind the US Open. For Rose to get even in the top3 he'd need to win the Masters or Open that's the reality of it, rightly or wrongly.

Murray is 1/25 for a reason. Had he won Wimby last year he'd have won it then in such a competitive year, never mind this year
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    Murray is 1/25 for a reason. Had he won Wimby last year he'd have won it then in such a competitive year, never mind this year

I can't think of any other achievement in any year that could have kept the first British male Wimbledon winner in 3/4 of a century from the SPOTY crown. Even if England had won the World Cup in the same year it's no guarantee that one individual would have emerged to contest the title with Murray. They would have taken Team of the Year/ Coach of the Year.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    A Wimbledon title is a million times more popular than winning any golfing major to the British public never mind the US Open. For Rose to get even in the top3 he'd need to win the Masters or Open that's the reality of it, rightly or wrongly.

I am not saying it is, I am just saying that he deserves a mention, as another poster said that no-one else has done anything noteworthy, that was all.

Murray has the SPOTY all down up, they might as well just give him it right now (Halfpenny and Rose look most likely to fill those at the moment).

It is now just a case of finding people to give the runner up prizes to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I am not saying it is, I am just saying that he deserves a mention, as another poster said that no-one else has done anything noteworthy, that was all.

Murray has the SPOTY all down up, they might as well just give him it right now (Halfpenny and Rose look most likely to fill those at the moment).

Ah ok, ya he definitely does and he'll be short-listed no doubt

As unfair as it sounds though the masters is basically the only major the general public take note of (like Wimbledon in tennis) although the Open gets a good British following aswell seeing as it's held in Britain!

I wonder will Ronnie O'Sullivan make the short list?
  • Options
    Forum Member

No sign of Halfpenny on the betting, but I'd definitely have him myself. I can't see him being nominated though, was The Lions even watched by that many people outside of general sports fans?

The likes of Wimby, Olympics, TdeF, masters Golf, WC/European champs football attract that element of bandwagon fans and people who watch no other event in that sport all year. Causal supporters really. The Lions tour doesn't really get this, in my own country the only real talk about it in the last week was BOd being dropped!
  • Options
    mikesuffsmikesuffs Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    Just like to remind everyone that in 1997 Greg Rusedski won Sports Personality for being a US Open finalist (lost 3-1 to Pat Rafter) and achieving a career-high ranking of 4 in the world.

Murray is basically already past the post.