ESA question

chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
Forum Member
I have received a letter stating my initial claim for ESA has been accepted, this will be contributions based, but wont be paid for the 1st 3 days?
Is there a reason for this, I will ring them but its been taking half hour plus to get through to them and then they tell me I have failed security and cant discuss anything with me.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have received a letter stating my initial claim for ESA has been accepted, this will be contributions based, but wont be paid for the 1st 3 days?
    Is there a reason for this, I will ring them but its been taking half hour plus to get through to them and then they tell me I have failed security and cant discuss anything with me.

I had to phone up the benefit delivery centre to ask for a letter proving I hadn't claimed for a certain time. Because I didn't have an active claim they weren't able to access any of my details so had to get someone to call me back in "3 hours" to go through security questions. The idiots couldn't comprehend I would be at work so wouldn't be able to answer the phone. Maybe they had the same problem with not being able to access your info. Did they offera call back?

But anyway I believe not being pad for the 1st 3 days applies to everyone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's called Waiting Days.

You cannot normally get Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) for the first three days of your claim. These three days are known as waiting days. In some cases, you can get it for these three days, for example, if you have claimed ESA before in certain circumstance.

Look at Waiting Days in this link.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/benefits_e/benefits_sick_or_disabled_people_and_carers_ew/employment_and_support_allowance.htm
  • chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    I had to phone up the benefit delivery centre to ask for a letter proving I hadn't claimed for a certain time. Because I didn't have an active claim they weren't able to access any of my details so had to get someone to call me back in "3 hours" to go through security questions. The idiots couldn't comprehend I would be at work so wouldn't be able to answer the phone. Maybe they had the same problem with not being able to access your info. Did they offera call back?

But anyway I believe not being pad for the 1st 3 days applies to everyone.

No they didnt offer to call me back, god know how I failed security I gave all the answers correct, they were even printed on the letter they sent me so they had all the info correct.

Thanks for the answer on the 3 day thing, so If my my claim has been accepted from 16th Feb, when would I expect to be paid?
    Forum Member
    woodbush wrote: »
    Yes, it's called Waiting Days.

You cannot normally get Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) for the first three days of your claim. These three days are known as waiting days. In some cases, you can get it for these three days, for example, if you have claimed ESA before in certain circumstance.

Look at Waiting Days in this link.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/benefits_e/benefits_sick_or_disabled_people_and_carers_ew/employment_and_support_allowance.htm

Thanks, I had a google but couldnt see that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i dont understand esa. it seems if i went on esa i would get less money then i get on jsa.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No they didnt offer to call me back, god know how I failed security I gave all the answers correct, they were even printed on the letter they sent me so they had all the info correct.

Thanks for the answer on the 3 day thing, so If my my claim has been accepted from 16th Feb, when would I expect to be paid?

It depends how long it takes to get processed through the system. I believe when I claimed JSA it took a couple of weeks but a friend who claimed JSA after ESA was waiting for about 3 months before she saw anything! She was actually on and off ESA without ever seeing a penny! The money would be backdated though.

Not trying to alarm you of course, but I believe you can apply for crisis loans if you need to while waiting for them to pull their finger out.
    Forum Member
    It depends how long it takes to get processed through the system. I believe when I claimed JSA it took a couple of weeks but a friend who claimed JSA after ESA was waiting for about 3 months before she saw anything! She was actually on and off ESA without ever seeing a penny! The money would be backdated though.

Not trying to alarm you of course, but I believe you can apply for crisis loans if you need to while waiting for them to pull their finger out.

Thanks, I should be ok fingers crossed
    Forum Member
    kcspurs wrote: »
    i dont understand esa. it seems if i went on esa i would get less money then i get on jsa.

for so many weeks, then you get assessed and if you are not fit for work it does increase.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    standards they say 21 days to process the claim before receiving money i think
    Forum Member
    TWS wrote: »
    standards they say 21 days to process the claim before receiving money i think

Is that from acknowledgement that they will be paying like the letter I received?
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    Is that from acknowledgement that they will be paying like the letter I received?

normally from date of claim
  • tosha43tosha43 Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    I was on jsa got 71.00 pw then had heart attack then went on esa for some reason my money went up to 99.00?
    Dont why it went up though must need more money whenu bad lol
    Forum Member
    TWS wrote: »
    normally from date of claim

Thank you