Train Driver Nodded Off

occyoccy Posts: 64,630
Forum Member
✭✭
The video shows the moment a train hit the station after the driver nodded off.

http://news.sky.com/story/1232642/cctv-shows-train-crash-after-driver-dozed-off

Comments

• Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She should be banned from driving trains FOREVER.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably couldn't happen in the UK o/a the safety systems we now have. If a driver doesn't respond to a cab signal (by pressing a button) within 3 seconds, the train automatically does an emergency stop
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    Women drivers..
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    Probably couldn't happen in the UK o/a the safety systems we now have. If a driver doesn't respond to a cab signal (by pressing a button) within 3 seconds, the train automatically does an emergency stop
    That's true on most mainline trains the world over, but I've no idea if it also applies with those or other similar underground/subway/transit-type trains.
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought they had a dead man's handle on trains. Unless she nodded off and her hand stayed on it??
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Resonance wrote: »
    Thought they had a dead man's handle on trains. Unless she nodded off and her hand stayed on it??

I don't think they are literally a handle anymore - ones I've seen are a recessed button (presumably to stop the problem you outline!)
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    I don't think they are literally a handle anymore - ones I've seen are a recessed button (presumably to stop the problem you outline!)

Ah right. I'm behind the times then.
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, her career has certainly hit the buffers.
  • kelvokelvo Posts: 3,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »

A lot of older stock does still have a 'dead man's handle (or Driver's Safety Device as it is more politically correct to call it) or it can be a pedal.

In addition to the DSD modern stock now has to have a Vigilance device - this is an alarm which goes off after a minute if the driver makes no operations in the cab - power, brake, horn etc to ensure he is not incapacitated. If the vigilance goes off then he has about 7 seconds to acknowledge or else the brakes apply.
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    John259 wrote: »
    That's true on most mainline trains the world over, but I've no idea if it also applies with those or other similar underground/subway/transit-type trains.

I'm fairly sure it does, after a particularly nasty crash in IIRC the 1960s.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Done it before as well, unbelievable! :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that escalated quickly....
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that escalated quickly....

:D:D:D
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reminds me of that old joke.

I want to die like my Granddad, peacefully in my sleep.

Not screaming and shouting like his passengers.