How often do you tip?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,666
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have to be honest I rarely tip:blush: but then quite a few places I go to I do most of the work (get up and order, refill drinks, collect sauces etc)

I do tip when the service has been great and I can tell the staff are over worked and are doing their upmost. But if it's just okay then I don't :blush:

Comments

• Vicky.Vicky. Posts: 5,948
    Forum Member
    I always tip taxi drivers who help me to my door with shopping, as I figure they don't have to do that, its not really part of the job.

I very very rarely tip in restaurants. Unless I am on holiday where I know the wages are ridiculous for service staff because they are expected to get tips.
  • HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I try to get the council to collect bulky rubbish. Had to hire a skip once.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't, I subscribe to the Mr Pink school of gratuity etiquette.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to be honest I rarely tip:blush: but then quite a few places I go to I do most of the work (get up and order, refill drinks, collect sauces etc)

I do tip when the service has been great and I can tell the staff are over worked and are doing their upmost. But if it's just okay then I don't :blush:

I would tip whenever it was expected ('service not included' in a restaurant) etc. but aside from that rarely.

Occasionally I'll tip taxi/delivery drivers etc but it has more to do with what change I have on me. Usually I pay for everything by card which means I don't have cash lying around.

Obviously it's up to you, but I wouldn't have said it's normal to tip the staff in a restaurant where there's no table-service?
  • kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    I tip quite a lot, if I have a meal and service isn't included I tip, I tip my hairdressers, the people who do my nails and eyebrows and delivery drivers ( which pisses off my boyfriend no end) what can I say, I worked in the restaurant industry in know what a thankless job it can be.
  • Super FrogSuper Frog Posts: 11,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always. Taxi drivers, waiters and barbers. Always leave something behind for the cleaning staff at hotels too.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I generally always tip unless the service was bad.
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always tip, I wouldn't if the service was really bad but not had that problem.
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I too always tip.

People are entitled to not tip, but it gets on my nerves when the whole "Why tip when they're only doing a job for which they are paid?This ain't Amurica." statements pop-up. What can I say, I'm easily bovvad.
  • BrotherDanielBrotherDaniel Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whenever I go to the bar, I always dish out a good tip on the first round, I find the rest of the night you get snappy service.
  • MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm actually trying to tip less because I don't think it makes much sense. I never thought about it until I was on minimum wage in a non-service job and realised I was tipping people probably on equal or higher wages to me whose jobs definitely weren't harder or more stressful than mine. I did waitressing at weekends and holidays while I was in college / university and it didn't change my mind about tipping.

Like Vicky, I do tip if I think people have gone out of their way or beyond the call of duty to help me.
    sweh wrote: »
    People are entitled to not tip, but it gets on my nerves when the whole "Why tip when they're only doing a job for which they are paid?This ain't Amurica." statements pop-up. What can I say, I'm easily bovvad.

Bovvad? :)
  • Stormwave UKStormwave UK Posts: 5,088
    Forum Member
    I always tip, often 20%. Waiters, barbers and taxi drivers. Sometimes bar staff, but 20p. I will tip less if the service wasn't great, but I'll still tip.

I'll almost always put my change in a charity box as well in a shop.
  • comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    waiters: always

cows: rarely
  • Scarlet FeverScarlet Fever Posts: 216
    Forum Member

sounds like Nandos! (or actually a lot of pubs...)

I don't tip any more, as I cannot really afford to - going out to eat is enough of a stretch so in a bid to be cheaper - no tipping.
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends on the quality of the service, I always tip at our favourite local restaurant but the service there is always fantastic from the moment they take your coat through to offering to call you a cab. The staff are always knowledgeable about the menu, they remember your name and the manager always comes and talks to you, remembering things that you've got going on in your life. They do it just the right amount though so as not to be overfacing. Yes, it's their job and they probably don't genuinely care but it does make a difference and they've won awards for their customer service as well as their food. I always leave a decent tip there but if I'm somewhere where the service isn't so good then I tip (or don't tip) accordingly.

If a taxi driver has been decent and we've had a chat and he seems a nice bloke I'll generally tip/say keep the change.

I've never tipped the hairdresser.
  • IyahIyah Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    As a rule I generally don't tip, why should I pay twice?

Only made an exception once as I felt an affinity with the staff at a hotel I stayed at.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always been quite a generous tipper - since spending time in the States last year (standard tip in restaurants - 22.1/2%, in a bar - $1 or $2 per drink) I've been doing so more.

10% seems stingy (though it's what I tip cab drivers). Min 15% to waiters, hairdresser etc - so long as the job is well done.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very rarely. If I do, it's only usually a pound or two. But my view is that they are already getting paid, so why would I give them more? I don't feel so bad not tipping here though, as I think a lot of other people think the same as me. But in America, it's really frowned upon if you don't tip. We got heckled by a taxi driver in Vegas last year because the top we left wasn't good enough for him. "YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES!" he screamed out the windown as he turned around and sped off!
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Table service in restaurant: about 10%
    Taxi driver: round up to next 2 quid or so.
    Barber: a couple of quid if it's one of the juniors but nothing it it's the guy who owns the place
    Never in a pub

The rules change when I am in the US where it's 20% in a restaurant and $1 for a beer.
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Extreme rarely.

But, if I had someone personally waiting on me. Being very attentive. They would certainly get a tip.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    The rules change when I am in the US where it's 20% in a restaurant and $1 for a beer.

It's crept up. Most places I went last year printed 3 "suggested" amounts at the foot of the bill. 20%, 22.1/2% ("recommended") and 25%.

Years ago, when we tipped 7.1/2-10%, it was 15 in the States. Seems there is tip inflation in the Anglo Saxon world. In most of Europe they either give a token amount, or nothing at all.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Vicky. wrote: »
    I always tip taxi drivers who help me to my door with shopping, as I figure they don't have to do that, its not really part of the job..

I do that if they help me I tip if they don't I don't bother as just driving me from A-B is their job and I'm already paying them for that.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    It's crept up. Most places I went last year printed 3 "suggested" amounts at the foot of the bill. 20%, 22.1/2% ("recommended") and 25%.

Years ago, when we tipped 7.1/2-10%, it was 15 in the States. Seems there is tip inflation in the Anglo Saxon world. In most of Europe they either give a token amount, or nothing at all.

The standard "buck a beer" is also creeping up especially in higher end bars. Go to a smart wine bar or cocktail bar and it is definitely more than a dollar a drink.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tip if the service is good, timely and pleasant (by which I mean just normal, I hate overly obsequious waiters/waitresses) but if they're a bit grumpy or too slow / inattentive then no tip for them.

Doing the bare minimum the job requires does not warrant a tip IMO that is what they are paid for.

If they're having a grumpy day and I've not caused it then I don't expect them to take it out on me.

Yes, I'm looking at you Pizza Express lady from last Tuesday >:( You are lucky my dining companions were willing to tip you because I certainly didn't want to, you grumpy biatch >:(

An example of her bad service
    W : "Would anyone like anything else?"
    FD : "Yes please I'll have some tap water"
    Me : "Er... Ye..." didn't matter what I wanted she was gone!

She's just lucky I was in a good mood >:(
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always tip, often 20%. Waiters, barbers and taxi drivers. Sometimes bar staff, but 20p. I will tip less if the service wasn't great, but I'll still tip.

I'll almost always put my change in a charity box as well in a shop.

I am a bit like you then only I do not go to the barbers for my haircuts :)