Where to go on holiday in winter with children???

shantomshantom Posts: 2,264
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm looking to go on holiday anytime from 27 December and would like to visit somewhere that's going to be around the 25 degrees mark or more!

I'm a single mum and my children are 9 and 11 so it would need to suit them too. I would prefer a beach holiday, all inclusive and have a couple of grand to spend.

Is there anywhere you can recommend that we visit...I was looking at Cape Verde but I'm not sure it'll be child friendly?

I've been told Sharm El Sheikh will be hot but would really like to avoid this place.

Comments

• c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How far are you willing to fly ?

Mexico, Cuba, Caribbean, etc will still be pretty hot. 1 week all inclusive in 4* in Barbados, 1 room 1 adult, 2 kids is £2k with virgin holidays.
  • sarahs291sarahs291 Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Lanzarote - child friendly, warm and a gorgous island in the winter (and summer)
  • Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sarahs291 wrote: »
    Lanzarote - child friendly, warm and a gorgous island in the winter (and summer)

I go twice a year...March and June, I'll be there Tuesday :)

Lovely place, probably not 25 degrees late December, but the sun is so intense it might feel like that even at 20 degrees.
  • shantomshantom Posts: 2,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    How far are you willing to fly ?

Mexico, Cuba, Caribbean, etc will still be pretty hot. 1 week all inclusive in 4* in Barbados, 1 room 1 adult, 2 kids is £2k with virgin holidays.

I hate flying but am willing to fly whatever I need to really for the weather. It's got to be somewhere that will feel safe as I've never travelled abroad with my children before.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want "hot" in Europe in December then the Canaries are the only option otherwise you have to go long haul. The trouble is that flights and holidays are very expensive at that time of year as everyone is desperate to get away from the weather (and family) at home.

I tend to go to southern Spain around around Christmas and New Year every year. It's never 25C but it's usually nice enough to sit outside during the day although you need a coat at night.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sarahs291 wrote: »

I've been to Tenerife in February before and temps were in the 30's but there's two months difference in it so I can't really see it being that warm in December. I don't mind looking at the Canary Islands though if they're going to feel pleasant and I can lie on the beach/by the pool.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    If you want "hot" in Europe in December then the Canaries are the only option otherwise you have to go long haul. The trouble is that flights and holidays are very expensive at that time of year as everyone is desperate to get away from the weather at home.

I tend to go to southern Spain around around Christmas and New Year every year. It's never 25C but it's usually nice enough to sit outside during the day although you need a coat at night.

To be honest, other than the Canary Islands I'm not sure I'd consider Europe at that time of year...I really can't see it being warm enough for my liking.

Has anybody been away somewhere hot in December...what are your experiences?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shantom wrote: »
    Has anybody been away somewhere hot in December...what are your experiences?

Dubai is hot all year around and December is a good time to go as it just get far too hot in the summer but I doubt you'd get an AI holiday there for your budget.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dubai is hot all year around and December is a good time to go as it just get far too hot in the summer but I doubt you'd get an AI holiday there for your budget.

I'll have a look, thanks for the suggestion, is Dubai a very strict country...I might be going over the top but don't want to end up locked up abroad! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll have a look, thanks for the suggestion, is Dubai a very strict country...I might be going over the top but don't want to end up locked up abroad! :)

Dubai is hardly Magaluf (which is what is good about it) but it's not as strict as many other places in the Gulf region. Anyway, what kind of trouble could you get into with two young children?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate flying but am willing to fly whatever I need to really for the weather. It's got to be somewhere that will feel safe as I've never travelled abroad with my children before.

We have friends with now teenage kids, who hate xmas and have been going to Barbados every xmas for the last 4 or 5 years. In general, in the resort and hotel beach is very, very safe, everyone speaks English, service and food are great with plenty of choice. Organised trips and around hotel is fine as well.

The only problem you might possibly have is going of resort by yourself with the kids. Not saying its not safe but you do need to keep an eye on your purse and the kids. TBH, that will apply to just about anywhere you go.

If you want the ultimate, you could head off to Oz, though the ticket prices might make your eyes water, lol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    If you want the ultimate, you could head off to Oz, though the ticket prices might make your eyes water, lol.

The prices to everywhere around Christmas and New Year make your eyes water. If you book for the middle of January you can usually get the same holiday for a fraction of the price.
  • lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We went to Florida 2 Christmases ago - It was hot enough to sunbathe, hotels were really cheap - although flights might be expensive over New Year and if you dont have a beach front hotel, getting around can be difficult without a car.

Fuertaventura was really good at Christmas too- although very windy (we only realised the name meant 'Strong Wind' after we got there! :D)

I'm not being very helpful am I....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The prices to everywhere around Christmas and New Year make your eyes water. If you book for the middle of January you can usually get the same holiday for a fraction of the price.

of course they can duh, but then her kids will be in school so it won't be an option.
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another vote for the Canaries. We went to Lanzarote at the end of December one year and it was warm enough for the beach.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    California, South Africa, Mexico or SE Asia.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the suggestions...I wish I could go at a cheaper time but me and the kids will be off work/school over the christmas period so it makes sense for us to go then. I'm going to check them all out but please if you have anything else to add please do...I'd love to hear everybody's experiences x
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been to Tenerife end of January and it was warm enough to sit out and sunbathe, couldn't really go in the outside pool but it was ok to sunbathe.
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And another vote for the Canary Islands. I used to go to the Caribbean at Christmas, but stopped enjoying it when the hotels developed a 'them and us' mentality, with hotel guests lodged in compounds. Thailand is also good at Christmas, if you don't mind the journey time with kids, but for me, the Canaries are a safe bet.
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The canaries is only a 4 hour flight which is better for young children.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Malta can be warm in February. It can also be howling a wind and raining.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the suggestions...I wish I could go at a cheaper time but me and the kids will be off work/school over the christmas period so it makes sense for us to go then. I'm going to check them all out but please if you have anything else to add please do...I'd love to hear everybody's experiences x

The Canaries really do look like your best option in terms of temperature, being family friendly and not too long a flight time but I think you may struggle to get a week AI for your budget at that time of year.

Personally, I really don't like AI as a big part of a holiday for me is exploring local bars and restaurants but I can understand that it can work when you have children. You need to work out whether if going B&B or Half Board is going to be sufficiently cheaper to make it worthwhile once you add a food and drink spending on top.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FWIW here's some personal videos of a trip to the Florida theme parks over Christmas 2012 just to give you some idea - obviously you don't need to do as much as they did, and you can reduce costs by staying outside the actual theme parks:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLb-8Gy55ZLXY72pznA-BilU0Q1aVLBPQP
    (I've no connection with the creators, BTW)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Went to Cape Verde last OCR, was great, my kids were 8 and 4 and had a ball. Make sure you go for the 5 star one though, the four star one is right in the flight path!

No real complaints- food was great, pools lovely. In places maintenance was lacking but overall a great holiday- pool, beach and more beach!
  • lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    Went to Cape Verde last OCR, was great, my kids were 8 and 4 and had a ball. Make sure you go for the 5 star one though, the four star one is right in the flight path!

No real complaints- food was great, pools lovely. In places maintenance was lacking but overall a great holiday- pool, beach and more beach!

I've always wanted to go there bazaar1, we usually end up AI in Turkey, Greece etc - we only have one child who gets easily bored so it's good to go where there'll be plenty of other families & kids activities.