Why does everybody love Mark ?

hisdogspothisdogspot Posts: 23,348
Forum Member
✭✭✭
On bots there has never been a single guest ( or even an audience member ) who has said a negative thing about him

Emma and Rylan gush about him and the 'psychs' never go there other than to praise

Now we have three new housemates who, universally, 'love' Mark too

Can someone tell me what I am missing here please ? ... because, to me, he comes across as utterly determined to grab as much camera time as he can in his desperation to get 'a spot' on the highlights show

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find him really funny. If it is forced for some reason I don't care. I think it might be because of the nature of this series. His type of 'act' most viewers accept and appreciate in a house full of negativity. He does a lot of things which irritate me (his voice and screeches being top of the list) but ignoring that all he does seem like a decent bloke having stuck up for people numerous times even if it was telling off his mates. So I think that decency mixed with the light-hearted dumb act (which always seems to be lapped up by the british public) has built up a lot of good-will towards him. Also I reckon he features in the HLs so much because the producers are trying to respond to the criticism of no fun on the show. Mark is to some one of the few HMs who is mainly about the 'fun' and therefore he gets featured a lot.

Also BOTS is biased and always has been. The presenters/panel/audience are almost always representative of a particular group of viewers. Plus half of the things people dislike about him are subjective and are seeing his actions in a certain light because of that dislike. To people who like Mark his diary room rants and moments in the house will be seen as genuine funny moments from a great character. People who dislike Mark will see it as fake and deliberate from a fabricated act. Having said all this I agree that BOTS (particularly emma) is too favoured towards him and should discuss his negative traits equally.
  • hisdogspothisdogspot Posts: 23,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jdayeh13 wrote: »
    I find him really funny. If it is forced for some reason I don't care. I think it might be because of the nature of this series. His type of 'act' most viewers accept and appreciate in a house full of negativity. He does a lot of things which irritate me (his voice and screeches being top of the list) but ignoring that all he does seem like a decent bloke having stuck up for people numerous times even if it was telling off his mates. So I think that decency mixed with the light-hearted dumb act (which always seems to be lapped up by the british public) has built up a lot of good-will towards him. Also I reckon he features in the HLs so much because the producers are trying to respond to the criticism of no fun on the show. Mark is to some one of the few HMs who is mainly about the 'fun' and therefore he gets featured a lot.

Also BOTS is biased and always has been. The presenters/panel/audience are almost always representative of a particular group of viewers. Plus half of the things people dislike about him are subjective and are seeing his actions in a certain light because of that dislike. To people who like Mark his diary room rants and moments in the house will be seen as genuine funny moments from a great character. People who dislike Mark will see it as fake and deliberate from a fabricated act. Having said all this I agree that BOTS (particularly emma) is too favoured towards him and should discuss his negative traits equally.

Thankyou jdayeh for such a considered and well thought through reply

If I made a list of my favourites Mark would be nowhere near the bottom ( he has made me laugh which is a rarity this year ) but I'm just not feeling the 'Mark love' which is being telegraphed so determindly by BB

Your post offers a very fair explanation though, and I appreciate it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,927
    Forum Member
    I don't have to tell you and anyway I've already told you in loads of other threads like this.

;-)
  • ennui 57ennui 57 Posts: 1,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hisdogspot wrote: »
    Thankyou jdayeh for such a considered and well thought through reply

If I made a list of my favourites Mark would be nowhere near the bottom ( he has made me laugh which is a rarity this year ) but I'm just not feeling the 'Mark love' which is being telegraphed so determindly by BB

Your post offers a very fair explanation though, and I appreciate it

I agree.
    (Except that he hasn't made me laugh. But then, I can't ever remember a BB housemate being particularly funny, but that just shows how we all differ I suppose:kitty:)
  • zelda fanzelda fan Posts: 6,330
    Forum Member
    I certainly don't love Mark
  • curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He,s funny he reminds me of Rylan in some ways
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cant stand him he pretends to be annoyed at everything but its all bollox to get a DR whinging rant in every single day. False as F~~K.
  • xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    I don't love him.
    Overacting & his voice especially when he starts screaming gives you a headache.
    But he does provide light relief & i have chuckled a few times when he throws one of his diva strops.

The love for him is ott though
    he is in no way perfect
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    He's pretty harmless and does inject some humour into this BB even though he is a desperate wannabee celebrity - but aren't most of them in there? As for fake; I think Steven steals the crown from him on that one!
  • Leathertrouser2Leathertrouser2 Posts: 412
    Forum Member
    Next time you laugh consider he has probably sat in front of his Mummy's VHS and taken quotes as he has, one person since I stopped watching who I don't miss. I wouldn't trust someone as far as I could through them in the real world if they kept passing off as real vicariously through a dead housemate such as Jade as an example.
  • SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find what he does to be too fake, he get's on my nerves.

The ranting about his make up and not being able to wash is just not funny to me. I think it's quite embarrassing for a grown man to be having tantrums like that.
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark is a breath of fresh air in a series full of negativity, I like him even if he's faking it.

When he leaves I won't be following his media "career" so for me I just enjoy him in the house.
  • sj3000sj3000 Posts: 309
    Forum Member
    It's so weird. I've done a complete 180 on him. I've gone from completely hating him with a passion - his accent, his mannerisms - to actually really liking him. I'd like to see him as a finalist.

I don't think I've seen him being malicious or bitchy. Like one of the psychs on BOTS said recently, he's one of the most level-headed people in there. And he's good value and actually adds something to the house - yes he's over the top but he's entertaining.

And I don't care if he's in there for his career.... that's what 90% of them are in there for.
  • Esther_AspleyEsther_Aspley Posts: 731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not me
  • SunnydaysSunnydays Posts: 12,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ahhhh........you see BB has to have an obligatory cheekie chappie on each gameshow....... and this years' one is........Mark.......

.......for me he is OK.......but too contrived.......
  • What a shamblesWhat a shambles Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is a horrid concoction of all the lowest common denominators in BB history. Release the lions.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next time you laugh consider he has probably sat in front of his Mummy's VHS and taken quotes as he has, one person since I stopped watching who I don't miss. I wouldn't trust someone as far as I could through them in the real world if they kept passing off as real vicariously through a dead housemate such as Jade as an example.
    If someone has worked as hard as you say and sat in front of a VHS (do they even make them anymore?) and practised a script, then they deserve to win in my eyes!
  • bj_cardiffbj_cardiff Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    I'm not a fan, he's clearly acting for the camera and he's done enough reality TV to know the drill. Christopher has also said that there's a lot of things that Mark won't discuss in front of the cameras, which makes me feel that he's not being genuine.
  • rsefitpro07rsefitpro07 Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see Mark as the chosen one. He is the one who Big Brother want to win. Mark can do no wrong in the eyes of BB.

He will win its already a forgone conclusion
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see Mark as the chosen one. He is the one who Big Brother want to win. Mark can do no wrong in the eyes of BB.

He will win its already a forgone conclusion
    Not sure about that.

The public aren't stupid and anyone that Big Brother aggressively praises and tries to influence us to vote for usually isn't voted winner. And that's how Sam won it last year for just saying "you make my winky expand" for the whole duration of the series.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    Mark is fun, contrived or not he is at least a laugh in a house full of egos
  • SeymourSeymour Posts: 8,248
    Forum Member
    I can't stand Mark, he is just another cheesy little wannabe......
  • VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seymour wrote: »
    I can't stand Mark, he is just another cheesy little wannabe......

He is, but I like him in spite of that. I think it's possible to be a wannabe with integrity, and yes the ACT is overdone and not funny but it's a beacon of light in a miserable house.
  • PercyBysshePercyBysshe Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    No-one is loved by everyone. The most popular housemate is still disliked by a lot of people. The most unpopular housemate is still liked by a lot of people.
  • emzi27emzi27 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's the best of a bad bunch in my opinion.