Does anyone else feel as embarrassed as me...

AndreaMCAndreaMC Posts: 3,227
Forum Member
✭✭✭
When a character on Coronation Street says 'Pigging' like last night when Eva complained that David had taken half the pigging skin off her nails in the salon?

it actually makes me sick with embarrassment. It's like listening to somebody who's dying to swear and hasn't got the balls too.
And why do they pick such a stupid word anyway that no one normal would even think of?
They're beyond lame.:(

Comments

• JaymaJayma Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    I've heard the word used since I was a child. I suppose it's no different from 'flipping', 'freaking' or 'shoot' that people sometimes use to substitute other swear words. Obviously they can't do that in the soaps, so they will use th substitutes. I'd rather hear the substitute word than the actual word, personally but I'm probably in the minority, given how people speak to each other on the streets and how there are numerous programmes peppered with the F word, I just haven't got with the times on this one, I'm afraid, although no one says the 'C' word like the Hound on Game of Thrones. For some reason, it doesn't bother me as much on that programme. :)
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kevin always used to moan about 'that flaming garage' when we knew what word he'd really be using.
  • AndreaMCAndreaMC Posts: 3,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jayma wrote: »
    I've heard the word used since I was a child. I suppose it's no different from 'flipping', 'freaking' or 'shoot' that people sometimes use to substitute other swear words. Obviously they can't do that in the soaps, so they will use th substitutes. I'd rather hear the substitute word than the actual word, personally but I'm probably in the minority, given how people speak to each other on the streets and how there are numerous programmes peppered with the F word, I just haven't got with the times on this one, I'm afraid, although no one says the 'C' word like the Hound on Game of Thrones. For some reason, it doesn't bother me as much on that programme. :)

I agree with you. Don't misunderstand, I really don't want for them to be swearing and effing all the time. I just find the Pigging thing so naff or twee or gutless or something. Maybe because it seems so near as they can get to an actual swear word without actually saying it. And also it's like the only word in the repitoire for virtual swear words.
    I hate it anyway, it's making me sick. Maybe they should try and articulate a bit more?:)
  • JaymaJayma Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    AndreaMC wrote: »
    I agree with you. Don't misunderstand, I really don't want for them to be swearing and effing all the time. I just find the Pigging thing so naff or twee or gutless or something. Maybe because it seems so near as they can get to an actual swear word without actually saying it. And also it's like the only word in the repitoire for virtual swear words.
    I hate it anyway, it's making me sick. Maybe they should try and articulate a bit more?:)

Fair enough. Variety is the spice of life. ;):) Is it not a local thing? Growing up, my cousin from Sheffield would always substitute "chuffin'" for her swear words, and I thought that was local, as I never heard anyone else say it. Got on my nerves a bit too! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kevin always used to moan about 'that flaming garage' when we knew what word he'd really be using.

But when Kevin said that it seemed authentic and earnest. And the word is evocative of something really bothersome.
    Pigging is like something a snotty person would say in a vain attempt to come across as grounded and like one of the boys or something.
    It makes me cringe even to write it:D
  • warleywitchwarleywitch Posts: 2,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mean to demean your moan but I have to say that, 'piggin' is the least of my worries about CS. The only ray of hope in the future for me is that Janis is coming back. However, she'll probably have had a brain transplant and come back playingBeethoven like a a pro and speaking five different languages fluently ...oh and maybe be a xchess champion to boot.
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never heard the word used down here other then in northern soaps/dramas/people.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jayma wrote: »
    Fair enough. Variety is the spice of life. ;):) Is it not a local thing? Growing up, my cousin from Sheffield would always substitute "chuffin'" for her swear words, and I thought that was local, as I never heard anyone else say it. Got on my nerves a bit too! :D

Chuffin is quite funny, but it could get annoying I think. My mother used to talk about bloomin this and bloomin that.
    And it didn't phase me that much.:D
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meh. No biggie for me. Heard the word all my life both on tv and irl from people who can't or don't want to swear, along with flippin' and flamin'. Maybe it's a northern thing.

*shrugs*
  • J-BJ-B Posts: 18,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They've gotta find something to keep themselves entertained in that barren and grey forming mining colony they call t'north, if that means using silly words then that's fine with me.
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dev was the best when he was entertaining Deirdre and said "Goddamn D! You is one sexy chuffin motherflipper!"
  • JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never get why soaps don't use "bloody" more. Everyone says it and it's not considered a bad swearword.

It's used on The X Factor... I've heard Simon say it a good number of times, including last weekend "what the bloody hell was that?"

It would inject a healthy dose of realism if the ban on "bloody" was lifted and perhaps a few lighter swearwords.

And indeed in old episodes in the 60s and 70s the word "bloody" was in the Corrie scripts regularly.
  • JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe in the future we will get a red button / pin-access to uncensored soaps so we can hear effing and blinding if we want. By default viewers only get 'chuffin' 'flaming' and 'piggin' but with one change of your settings, Dot Cotton's saying the F-word. Would revolutionise the genre :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I started a thread last week about how I thought Swearing in soaps would be more realistic and the people that responded were pretty rude about it. They seemed to be under the impression that I'm immature and only want swearing to be included because I find it funny.

Personally I'm not sure what would be so bad about including swearing. Not every minute or so but sometimes where appropriate. I find it amusing that people will allow there children to watch soaps, which include murders, rapes, blackmailing, fighting, abusive relationships, alcoholics and junkies, yet have such a problem with them hearing a few swear words.
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lexii-Mae wrote: »
    I started a thread last week about how I thought Swearing in soaps would be more realistic and the people that responded were pretty rude about it. They seemed to be under the impression that I'm immature and only want swearing to be included because I find it funny.

Personally I'm not sure what would be so bad about including swearing. Not every minute or so but sometimes where appropriate. I find it amusing that people will allow there children to watch soaps, which include murders, rapes, blackmailing, fighting, abusive relationships, alcoholics and junkies, yet have such a problem with them hearing a few swear words.
    Maybe some of us still want to continue the (possibly losing) fight to save the English language. :(

Anyway, if you enjoy hearing swearing, just turn your tv on any time post-watershed, or just go down your local pub. You won't learn any new vocabulary or improve your articulacy in any way, but hey ho, whatever floats your boat.
  • KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Steve 'flippin' McDonald.
  • wavlovrwavlovr Posts: 3,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use the word 'cowing' a lot. I can remember years ago when Dawn Actons version of Tracey Barlow called her Mother a lying cowing tart, and I really did laugh out loud. when she said it.
    :D
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flipping, pigging, etc are all very common.

Maybe it's a northern thing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    Maybe some of us still want to continue the (possibly losing) fight to save the English language. :(

Anyway, if you enjoy hearing swearing, just turn your tv on any time post-watershed, or just go down your local pub. You won't learn any new vocabulary or improve your articulacy in any way, but hey ho, whatever floats your boat.

Oh I totally agree with you. I hate people that feel the need to swear in every single sentence.

"The Fkin molsems an forineers
    need 2 fuk of bak 2 own cuntry . If u want 2 liv in this cuntry u bide by are laws n lern are langwij!!1!"

That kind of thing seriously irritates me and that is the definition of butchering the English Language. Somebody swearing here and there during an actual argument is different though, that's not exactly butchering the English language. I'm not too fussed about wanting to hear swearing but info find it very strange when people come out with these substitutes for swear words in soaps. They just aren't words you hear people actually use. So it seems kind of odd.
  • wallo mr slugwallo mr slug Posts: 9,734
    Forum Member
    I remember a few years back that Alfie in Eastenders used to call everyone a 'plum'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lexii-Mae wrote: »
    Oh I totally agree with you. I hate people that feel the need to swear in every single sentence.

"The Fkin molsems an forineers
    need 2 fuk of bak 2 own cuntry . If u want 2 liv in this cuntry u bide by are laws n lern are langwij!!1!"

That kind of thing seriously irritates me and that is the definition of butchering the English Language. Somebody swearing here and there during an actual argument is different though, that's not exactly butchering the English language. I'm not too fussed about wanting to hear swearing but info find it very strange when people come out with these substitutes for swear words in soaps. They just aren't words you hear people actually use. So it seems kind of odd.

Sorry to butt in but I'm only here for a minute. The last point you made is similar to my point about the strange words in place of the swear word, but maybe it is something that's common enough like Oldnjaded said, but not to me, possibly because I'm not Northern, or English. I still think Piggin sounds dumb though.

And the other thing you said about the occasional swear word at times of maybe something violent occurring or something really bad makes sense also.

If they do insist on showing rape and murder and horrors in soap, then they should be obliged to not sanitise these things. Because that's a step toward making horrible events normal.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember a few years back that Alfie in Eastenders used to call everyone a 'plum'

He still does. :D Or "you muppet" but that might have been given to Danny Dyer these days. :D
  • theiceman2014theiceman2014 Posts: 623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didnt one soap use the word ******, bastard, retard and bollocks a lot.
  • StrictlyEastendStrictlyEastend Posts: 35,455
    Forum Member
    AndreaMC wrote: »
    When a character on Coronation Street says 'Pigging' like last night when Eva complained that David had taken half the pigging skin off her nails in the salon?

it actually makes me sick with embarrassment. It's like listening to somebody who's dying to swear and hasn't got the balls too.
    And why do they pick such a stupid word anyway that no one normal would even think of?
    They're beyond lame.:(

I agree.
  • jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find the use of "piggin'" and "flippin'" quite endearing. Yes, we know they'd use alternative words in real life, but they can't on telly. Us grown ups know exactly what they would really say, whereas any kiddies watching just see them as words used by characters to express how angry/upset etc they are.