Options

Looking back, 2012 was terrible wasn't it

scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
Forum Member
✭✭✭
People give Series 4 and Series 10 the most stick of being the worst series, but looking back at Series 9, the talent was really quite weak wasn't it?

The only saving graces of that year were Ella and James, and Ella went way too early.

In terms of the other acts...

- Carolynne was nice but forgettable as we lost her way too early
- Melanie was good but wasn't a star
- MK1 and District 3 were totally disposable
- Jade was good but forgettable (thanks to her being invisible for most the early stages)
- Lucy was too niche for the X Factor
- Union J were okay but we didn't need another One Direction
- Christopher Maloney does not need to be commented on
- Jahmene was just another young male with a good voice but zero personality
- Kye Sonezzzzz (need I say more?)
- Rylan was fun but shouldn't have got as far as he did

Even the judging panel was weak that year. We had Borelow being a bore as usual, Tulisa looking like she didn't want to be there for most of the series, Louis wasn't doing anything special... only Nicole was decent that year.

And it was also very strange the way it became a massive sausage fest very quickly. The top five were entirely male. In the groups category we had 9 singers consisting of 8 males and 1 female. And the solo females all left relatively early, bar Ella (Carolynne, Melanie, Lucy, Jade).

Post-show success for this series has actually been very good though, ironically.

- Union J have had three top ten hits and a top ten album
- James has one of the biggest selling songs of all time under his belt, another Top 2 hit and a Top 5 album
- Lucy had a top ten album
- Jahmene had a number 1 album
- Rylan has become a star on Channel 5 and is doing well on This Morning
- Ella has had one of the biggest selling songs of 2014 and is set to grow more and more

Anyone else agree this was a very weak year, despite the acts doing allright afterwards?

Comments

• Options
    abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it wasn't that terrible, one look at the lot and put my money on james arthur... i won!! lolz!! :D
  • Options
    SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I say it was all because of the wildcard vote that ruined everything that Series.
  • Options
    pjh8pjh8 Posts: 4,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2012 was one of my favourite years for contestants.It had such amazing diversity (gospel,country,rnb,pop,indie),and talent.Had some fantastic moments(Ella Henderson-Believe,Lucy Spraggan's audition and James Arthur's audition and some of his performances) and an entertaining novelty act.Chris Maloney RUINED the series for me though.
  • Options
    Carlisle156Carlisle156 Posts: 23,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jade wasn't invisible lol she got a lengthy audition and got shown properly at Bootcamp & JH too?
  • Options
    Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it had a terrible boot order which didn't help things at all. They weren't a fantastic top twelve, but it might have looked better if things had gone down differently. The first four eliminations deserved better.
  • Options
    HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last decent set of finalists was the year Alexandra Burke won it.

The standards have been severely lowered.
  • Options
    Ryeboy123Ryeboy123 Posts: 1,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Melanie should of got to the final at least the semi
  • Options
    d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    I thought 2012 was decent. Better than 2011 anyway...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jade wasn't invisible lol she got a lengthy audition and got shown properly at Bootcamp & JH too?

She wasn't invisible, but she lacked hype. They did very very little to build her up like they did with most of the other finalists.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually liked this year ,it had a lot of potential but it got messed up with Rylan staying in week 1 and Christopher being voted in.

I really liked District 3 but it was all about battle of the boy bands and once George was added to UJ they didnt stand a chance.
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jade was fantastic but they didn't feature her enough early on so viewers never really got to know her. As far as boy bands go, I thought Union J were actually really good and better than 1D. The problem was though that One Direction were at their peak so Union J were never going to win.
  • Options
    felpcalibasfelpcalibas Posts: 5,547
    Forum Member
    I liked Melanie, Union J, Jade Ellis, MK1, James and Ella and thats more than I usually like so even though it didn't go well as a whole it wasn't a - disaster - imo
  • Options
    felpcalibasfelpcalibas Posts: 5,547
    Forum Member
    oh and yes Union J was better than 1D, they should've been featured a year early :/
  • Options
    CelticMythCelticMyth Posts: 3,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was easily my least favourite season. I switched off half way through for the first time.
  • Options
    StubeStube Posts: 16,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great post OP.

It was the only series I stopped watching. Extremely dull.
  • Options
    StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I stopped watching that series and havent gone back, which is a shame because X Factor was one of my favourite serieses before then.

'They changed it, now it sucks', basically.

100% agree that the lack of energy/chemistry between the judges also negatively affected the series. Nicole's happiness/drunkenness was all the more jarring when next to Gary's bad acting and unconvincingly trying to follow the script and Tulisa not even trying to pretend she wasn't only there because she was contractually obliged to make an appearance. That's not even a slight on her - it can't be easy to appear on tv in front of millions of people and look professional when a sex tape of you has been leaked. And to be honest, about that, I feel the same as I do about the Jennifer Lawrence naked photos thing - why do we blame the girls themselves? Some sick person has taken pictures or in this case, a video of them, without their knowledge, and then sold it on to the papers and the media. That sounds awfully like a sex crime to me, and yet Tulisa was having to apologise for it. I didnt see her holding the camera!

mm anyway the categories were poorly chosen too. I get the impression Tulisa really actually connected with Little Mix the year before and perhaps that she and Ella didn't get on as well.

My favourite from that series was Melanie Masson who I've since seen at other gigs. The show didnt do her justice with the flares and 60s styling; she's got a great voice but she normally performs classics and new songs dressed in a nice frock or a skirt and a modern top; she could easily pass for 30 or so although she's in her 40s or so isnt she?
  • Options
    commentcomment Posts: 920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was better than 2011, they had to put Little Mix together just to make it a slightly successful year.

I always believed James was better than Ella and I admit I was completely wrong! I used to think James was amazing but now I feel the complete opposite, he's ruined himself! Oh and I still can't stand Union J, with the likes of 5SOS, The Vamps and Rixton becoming popular, Union J don't have enough musical talent to compete with these actual bands.
  • Options
    MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, it was a poor year. I actually think the judging panel ruined it more than the contestants.
  • Options
    Ryeboy123Ryeboy123 Posts: 1,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2010 and 2011 where my 2 favorite years
  • Options
    SatanelSatanel Posts: 11,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved 2012 up until week two of the live shows. Melanie leaving to the disgracefully bad District 3 ruined it for me.
  • Options
    teenage-monkeyteenage-monkey Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I see 2012 as weak as 2013 and 2007. The last two years have been a double dose of absolute dire. 2008 - 2011 was a golden period, with 2010 being the peak.
  • Options
    earldbestearldbest Posts: 3,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2012 was promising with Ella, James, and Lucy, but "things" started happening.

Speaking of which, I saw a photo of James and Kingsland Road in Soccer Six(?). How fast time flies.
  • Options
    HughOSHughOS Posts: 2,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought 2012 and 2013 were both better than 2011 tbh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HughOS wrote: »
    I thought 2012 and 2013 were both better than 2011 tbh.

I never understood the hate for 2011. The men that year were all average or below, but I thought the females that year more than made up for it. I still think that under different circumstances Amelia and Misha both could have been far more succesful than they ultimately were.
  • Options
    ThiswillbefunThiswillbefun Posts: 10,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christopher Baloney made the show! Who else could they have built up as such a hate figure? It was great to see what the producers has had in store for him every week. Surely the lasers shooting out from his eyes was a defining moment.

Plus we had great quotes such as Tulisa telling the viewers that it was our fault that Ella went out and we should be voting for who we're told to, not who we like (Xtra-Factor).

We all had Gary calling Tulisa "****-breath" and all the judges undermining her; the leak from inside the show that she was scared to sing live because it would damage her album sales etc. It was almost like the producers were punishing her for her misdemeanours.

Plus we even had the whole fake James Arthur image con, turning sloth from the Goonies into a sex symbol. I can't believe so many people actually fell for it. Obviously not enough that they had to run "James to win" campaigns in two major newspapers.

2013 was extremely dull in comparison. Sam Bailey was hyped from the start, played her part to perfection and there were never any issues.

2010 & 2011 are the best years. 2010 for all the craziness & 2011 for the whole Janet Devlin episode, with the show using every trick in the book to stop her winning.