The Official Christmas Radio Times 2014 Countdown Thread

Comments

• Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see reading the article that it says that he will be on across the channels so assume on ITV, ITV2, ITV3 & ITV4 at different times during the day.

(On another note I quite liked the 2011 Christmas Radio Times cover!)

yes me too, i have the green one or is it the red one i forget now
  • Anthony_RyanAnthony_Ryan Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    marke09 wrote: »
    Channel 5 get into the Christmas spirit next Saturday with a triple bill of Christmassy films

1.50pm A Christmas Visitor
    3.35 A Carol Christmas
    5.15 The Town Christmas Forgot

Fans of the late Lord Attenborough may be interested to know that Sky 1 will be showing the remake of Miracle On 34th Street next Saturday at 9pm.
  • GwylfaGwylfa Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I won't be watching ITV on that day then.

I cannot stand the self obsessed little prat!

This must surely be ITVs very lowest ebb.I always thought that they would have him and a soap on all day everyday if they could ....
  • Steveaki13Steveaki13 Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

yes me too, i have the green one or is it the red one i forget now

And me......... I can't get why people are saying it appears one of the worst ever. I thought it looked nice and retro :confused::p
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member

So did I, for me it's the best cover of recent years, and I've been wanting them to do something similar since.
  • Steveaki13Steveaki13 Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    What a strange selection of choices! The 2009 cover should not be considered terrible although I agree about the 2010 one as it was lazy and uninspired (even if their article is factually incorrect). However they included the dreadful 2005 cover as one of the best and the snow angel 2007 cover as one of the worst. Here are my choices, who agrees with them?

WORST

6. 1972
    5. 1974/1978 (equal, I couldn't decide which was worse!)
    4. 1986
    3. 1984
    2. 1995
    1: 2011

BEST

6. 2003
    5. 1981
    4. 1990
    3. 1988
    2. 1987
    1. 1977

I will have a go in your format. With telling you to reorder it ;-)

Worst (IMO)

6. 1993 (Can't stand that creepy boy with no teeth)
    5. 1984 (Creepy.)
    4. 1978 (Dull)
    3. 1946 (Something creepy again)
    2. 1965 (Don't like the 60s modern style)
    1. 1964 (See above :p)

My personal favourites

*While it doesn't make my top 6, I quite like the 2011 cover

6. 1997 (Colourful, retro style and I remember it from being 11)
    5. 1985 (Huge Only Fools fan)
    4. 1957 (I love the simple festive style)
    3. 2013 (I love the father Christmas :blush:)
    2. 2008 (Colour and nice picture, a rich texture. Wallace & Gromit too)
    1. 1977 (Great design that could be from any age)
  • marke09marke09 Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chrisfers wrote: »
    This thread has become a Christmas tradition for me. It's the only thread I read. Has there been any announcement as to when to pre-Christmas editions of the Radio Times will be out as they are usually released earlier?

going by previous years the dates should be

Normal up to and including Tuesday 25th

Then Saturday November 29
    Thursday December 4
    Christmas issue December 9 (6th in London and South East)
    Next Issue - December 27

susbcribers could get their copies a day or two early (except for the double issue)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WOW - have you seen the prices this website is charging for back numbers of Christmas RT - £120 for a 1974 issue £40 and £50 for some others

I am sitting on a fortune! This time next year ill be a millionaire

http://www.radiotimesbacknumbers.com/Category/Radio+Times--3aRT+Christmas+Numbers/Product.aspx
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    someone on here mentioned that War Horse should be shown over Christmas - well it is on BBC One on Remembrance Sunday November 9

The film War Horse will premiere for BBC One on Remembrance Sunday. Stephen Spielberg directs this epic adaptation of Michael Morpurgo’s best-selling book/play with a cast that includes Peter Mullan, Jeremy Irvine, Benedict Cumberbatch, Emily Watson, David Thewlis and Tom Hiddleston.
  • Claires_dadClaires_dad Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    someone on here mentioned that War Horse should be shown over Christmas - well it is on BBC One on Remembrance Sunday November 9

The film War Horse will premiere for BBC One on Remembrance Sunday. Stephen Spielberg directs this epic adaptation of Michael Morpurgo’s best-selling book/play with a cast that includes Peter Mullan, Jeremy Irvine, Benedict Cumberbatch, Emily Watson, David Thewlis and Tom Hiddleston.

Great day to show it, far more apt than Christmas
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Great day to show it, far more apt than Christmas

Great choice of movie for Remembrance Day. What time is it on? I bet it gets 1.15pm! What an utter waste!
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great choice of movie for Remembrance Day. What time is it on? I bet it gets 1.15pm! What an utter waste!

On the 9th, BBC1 have Final Score running from 1.45 till 4.15 so not really sure where they will fit in the dilm in the Afternoon, could they rejiggle there evening schedule and air it at 8pm, following SCD results
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    according to digiguide BBC One has Brazilian Grand Prix highlights from 8.30 pm on Sunday 9th so reckon that will get replaced with War Horse
  • Aaron_CardwellAaron_Cardwell Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    Do we think Mrs Browns boys will be on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day?
    I think BBC One needs a top line-up for both nights.

Do we think the BBC is trying as hard as it used to when it comes to Christmas programming?
  • ChrisfersChrisfers Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    going by previous years the dates should be

Normal up to and including Tuesday 25th

Then Saturday November 29
    Thursday December 4
    Christmas issue December 9 (6th in London and South East)
    Next Issue - December 27

susbcribers could get their copies a day or two early (except for the double issue)

Thank you
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Do we think the BBC is trying as hard as it used to when it comes to Christmas programming?

Mrs Brown and Kathy were on Loose Women yesterday and she said that this years Christmas Day episode is very naughty
  • burbeburbe Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they'll have Mrs Brown's Boys and Miranda paired up on Christmas Day and Boxing Day.
  • GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    burbe wrote: »
    I think they'll have Mrs Brown's Boys and Miranda paired up on Christmas Day and Boxing Day.

Oh no, please no!

I can't stand either.

I just don't see anything funny in either.
  • Only_YouOnly_You Posts: 5,976
    Forum Member
    I think the BBC would be on a winner with this:

15:00 The Queen
    15:10 BBC News/Weather
    15:20 FILM: Madagascar Three
    17:00 Doctor Who
    18:00 Roald Dahl's Esio Trot
    19:30 Strictly Come Dancing
    20:45 EastEnders
    21:45 Miranda Christmas Special
    22:15 Mrs Browns Boys
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only_You wrote: »
    I think the BBC would be on a winner with this:

15:00 The Queen
    15:10 BBC News/Weather
    15:20 FILM: Madagascar Three
    17:00 Doctor Who
    18:00 Roald Dahl's Esio Trot
    19:30 Strictly Come Dancing
    20:45 EastEnders
    21:45 Miranda Christmas Special
    22:15 Mrs Browns Boys

Yes, that's a good schedule but I think Esio Trot will be on New Year's Day and The Boy in the Dress will be on Boxing Day. I think that this would make a good schedule:

9.00 Mr. Stink
    10.00 Christmas Morning Worship
    11.00 Room on the Broom
    11.25 Film: A Christmas Carol (Jim Carey)
    12.50 BBC News
    12.55 Gangsta Granny
    2.00 Top of the Pops
    3.00 The Queen
    3.10 Film: Puss in Boots
    4.40 Toy Story (New animated short)
    5.05 BBC News
    5.15 Strictly Come Dancing
    6.30 Doctor Who
    7.30 Call The Midwife
    8.45 EastEnders
    9.45 Still Open All Hours (New Series)
    10.15 Miranda
    10.45 Mrs. Browns' Boys
    11.15 BBC News
    11.25 Michael McIntyre Christmas Special
  • jackc1806jackc1806 Posts: 456
    Forum Member
    If BBC One want comedy I'd go with this

Xmas Day-

7pm- EastEnders
    7.30pm- Doctor Who
    8.30pm- EastEnders
    9pm- Miranda
    9.30pm- Mrs Browns Boys
    10pm- Not Going Out
    10.30pm- Michael McIntyre
  • Only_YouOnly_You Posts: 5,976
    Forum Member
    Yes, that's a good schedule but I think Esio Trot will be on New Year's Day and The Boy in the Dress will be on Boxing Day. I think that this would make a good schedule:

9.00 Mr. Stink
    10.00 Christmas Morning Worship
    11.00 Room on the Broom
    11.25 Film: A Christmas Carol (Jim Carey)
    12.50 BBC News
    12.55 Gangsta Granny
    2.00 Top of the Pops
    3.00 The Queen
    3.10 Film: Puss in Boots
    4.40 Toy Story (New animated short)
    5.05 BBC News
    5.15 Strictly Come Dancing
    6.30 Doctor Who
    7.30 Call The Midwife
    8.45 EastEnders
    9.45 Still Open All Hours (New Series)
    10.15 Miranda
    10.45 Mrs. Browns' Boys
    11.15 BBC News
    11.25 Michael McIntyre Christmas Special

I would absolutely love for the BBC to get the Toy Story Christmas Short but I think Sky have the rights to this! :(
  • pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Of course they are not trying.

Look back the last 5 years, from roughly 5pm until 10:30pm on BBC1 on Christmas Day.

For the last 5 years, looking at Claires_dad website, Strictly, Dr Who and Eastenders have been on every year (probably longer, but I have only went back 5 years). In three of the last 5 years The Royale Family has been shown. In the last 2 years Call the Midwife has been shown. In 2 of the last three years there has been a Michael McIntyre show on. In 2 of those 5 years there has been either The Gruffalo or Gruffalo Child. Seven programmes have dominated those many hours of broadcasting in the last 5 years. Not much choice.

And you know that 3 of those programmes, Dr Who, Strictly and Eastenders will be definitely on, with probably Mrs Browns Boys and Call the Midwife also on. 2014 could mirror 2013.

And speaking of Mrs Browns Boys, a programme I don't watch, why does it need to be ' very naughty'? I am not a prude, but why, at a time when families will watch tv more than any other time of the year, does any programme need to be 'very naughty'? I just don't get it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pedrok wrote: »
    Of course they are not trying.

Look back the last 5 years, from roughly 5pm until 10:30pm on BBC1 on Christmas Day.

For the last 5 years, looking at Claires_dad website, Strictly, Dr Who and Eastenders have been on every year (probably longer, but I have only went back 5 years). In three of the last 5 years The Royale Family has been shown. In the last 2 years Call the Midwife has been shown. In 2 of the last three years there has been a Michael McIntyre show on. In 2 of those 5 years there has been either The Gruffalo or Gruffalo Child. Seven programmes have dominated those many hours of broadcasting in the last 5 years. Not much choice.

And you know that 3 of those programmes, Dr Who, Strictly and Eastenders will be definitely on, with probably Mrs Browns Boys and Call the Midwife also on. 2014 could mirror 2013.

And speaking of Mrs Browns Boys, a programme I don't watch, why does it need to be ' very naughty'? I am not a prude, but why, at a time when families will watch tv more than any other time of the year, does any programme need to be 'very naughty'? I just don't get it.

well we do have a new BBC One controller this Christmas (last year it had already been decided before she took over) so hopefully she may be a bit more radical with the schedule
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously they have found a format that works on Christmas Day.

I basically watch all 3 soaps, and then a comedy.

Going on to Mrs Browns Boys, usnt it a bit like marmite, you live it or hate it. Ny father watched Mrs Briwns Boys D'Movie last night, I didnt laugh once, but I dont get why a bloke in Drag us so funny anyway