Options

Woman subjected to 108 catcalls during 10 hour walk through NYC

Comments

• Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I'll go back to the bus stop of course just because you say "Hello" does not mean you want to sleep with them I'll give a example how you can come across

If you at a bus stop and alone and someone walks up say "Hello" but in a lower sort of voice head down then just gets on with playing on their phone or checking their watch and looking for the bus you know they were saying "Hello" to be polite

If they sat "Hello" in a higher pinched voice head up (trying) making eye contact then keep trying to keep on talking and looking at you know they are after sleeping with you.

As I said it's not just what is said it's how it's said
  • Options
    Fists of FedorFists of Fedor Posts: 786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    charger21 wrote: »
    Id rather not watch the 10 hours actually.

Who asked you?
    Id also suggest if shes managed to edit 10 hours into 1.57 then in reality it was a pretty uneventful walk

1 event every 5-6 minutes. How many times do you have such interactions during your visits to the high street?
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some examples;

When we're both in a situation where we're open to meeting new people and potentially a sexual interest. i.e. a Singles night, internet dating.

When we're both in a social atmosphere like a night club - where during the period of the night, eye contact has been made, and body language is open (i.e. dancing).

When we are both share similar interests and hobbies (i.e. we go to the same gym and have been for a while).

Where we both pass each other on the street, with them having closed body language, no eye contact, no cues - Not so much.

What a limited set of circumstances. What if you don't internet date or go to nightclubs or the gym or have hobbies where you don't find anyone attractive? Under your rules you would wither and die.

What if you got the same bus home every day?
  • Options
    charger21charger21 Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do alot of walking and cycling through the local woods and countryside. Most people i pass say hello. Can honestly say the 1s who dont are the 1s who appear shifty. And no, thats not me trying to get a rise before fedor asks
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mythica wrote: »
    Because it is acceptable :confused: lets not forget we are human beings who like to communicate with other human beings. It would be a sad world if we didn't.

As per the video, how often do you communicate by shouting out to strangers in the street who are actively avoiding your eye contact?
  • Options
    Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,159
    Forum Member
    If a female says hello to me in the street when I'm not in a good mood, am I allowed to be offended and call it harassment:confused:

TBH, I think all these SJW are looking for things that just don't happen
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a limited set of circumstances.

What part of "some examples" do you not understand? A example being "a thing characteristic of its kind or illustrating a general rule.". If you didn't understand the first time, I was not going to go through every single hypothetical situation for your pleasure.
    What if you don't internet date or go to nightclubs or the gym or have hobbies where you don't find anyone attractive? Under your rules you would wither and die.

Again, then you use some of the rules illustrated to help find a willing partner. Please note, it is not a right that you find somebody.

Who is the person?
    What is the person's body language?
    Who are you?
    What is your body language?
    How long have you been taking the bus?
    Do you have the same bus stops?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frankie - I've given you some rules. Perhaps commenting on those, instead of repeating the same loop you've been in, might move us forward.

Your rules are misanthropic.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Then after a while you would get on nodding terms as you know each other by sight after that maybe a Hi when you see each other there after that you may begin to talk as by then you will have become at least acquaintances.

Of course this could take time maybe a year or so.

But if it was love at first sight and not just another tick in the little black book you would wait 10 years if you had to it's what love vs a cheap shag is.
  • Options
    Forum Member

No they are the rules that 99% of the people in the world follow
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If a female says hello to me in the street when I'm not in a good mood, am I allowed to be offended and call it harassment:confused:

TBH, I think all these SJW are looking for things that just don't happen

There's a lot more going on in that video than just social hellos. Have you watched it?
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do alot of walking and cycling through the local woods and countryside. Most people i pass say hello. Can honestly say the 1s who dont are the 1s who appear shifty. And no, thats not me trying to get a rise before fedor asks

I think it's different in the countryside, to be honest. My Mum came from a village where most people used to know each other and she used to say hello to people she didn't know. People would think you were weird if you do that in cities, male or female.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How so?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So you say hello to most people - not just people you find sexually attractive. Don't see what's wrong with that. Why don't you say hello to all people?
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is the problem, though.

I bet the locations where she walked were deliberately chosen as areas guaranteed to garner such comments.
    Do you honestly think that bunch of guys in suits hanging around outside their office building, for example having a smoke break, aren't also capable of making uninvited remarks to passing women? I can testify that this is definitely not the case, being well-dressed or casually dressed, rich/poor, young/old, lower/middle/upper class, white/black/red/yellow/pink, whatever... makes no difference. It happens.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We definitely need a London version, some people would go into meltdown. I can't believe his polite most of these New Yorkers were

Everything sounds more aggressive when it starts with OOOIIIIII!!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What part of "some examples" do you not understand? A example being "a thing characteristic of its kind or illustrating a general rule.". If you didn't understand the first time, I was not going to go through every single hypothetical situation for your pleasure.

So there are rules that only you know? What sort of system is that to operate under? Imagine laws only the police knew and you kept breaking them because they wouldn't tell you what they were.
    Again, then you use some of the rules illustrated to help find a willing partner. Please note, it is not a right that you find somebody.

Under your chaste Victorian rules I don't think we would be lasting very long as a species.
    Who is the person?
    What is the person's body language?
    Who are you?
    What is your body language?
    How long have you been taking the bus?
    Do you have the same bus stops?

This just highlights the absurdity of your rules. How long do I have to have taken the bus before I can speak to someone? A week? A month? A year?
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We definitely need a London version, some people would go into meltdown. I can't believe his polite most of these New Yorkers were
    I'd also like to see one done in the dark, not late at night but a winter's evening. Darkness is much more scary for a lone female for starters, but I also think the cover of night makes some people behave differently.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it? You'd rather watch the unedited 10 hours of walking around Manhattan?

With careful editing you can make 10 hours of film say exactly what you want it to.
    1. What do you have to base this on?
    2. What does it matter?

1. Look at the guys making the comments, without resorting to racial stereotypes, it isn't rocket science to suggest they are likely to live in the poorer areas of Manhattan.
    2. Of course it matters. A lady walking through a council estate in, say, Stretham, is far more likely to get such comments than if she were walking through, say, Sloane Square in London. Or if she were to walk through the centre of Bath, or Cheltenham.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So there are rules that only you know? What sort of system is that to operate under? Imagine laws only the police knew and you kept breaking them because they wouldn't tell you what they were.

No, these are rules which most people know. I'm sorry for you if you actually require a book detailing acceptable responses for every possible permutation of every single hypothecial social situation possible, rather than just take principles.
    Under your chaste Victorian rules I don't think we would be lasting very long.

Why is assessing if the subject of your sexual desire is open to communication being "chaste"? That's quite - disturbing.
    This just highlights the absurdity of your rules.

How so?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Under your chaste Victorian rules I don't think we would be lasting very long as a species.

This just highlights the absurdity of your rules. How long do I have to have taken the bus before I can speak to someone? A week? A month? A year?

1) it's rules everybody knows

2) It appeases the woman has no choice in the matter if you say she's yours she's yours like it or not

3) as I said it could take time to get to that level maybe a year maybe more but that would depend on what you wanted if it was a full on relationship marriage kids the works you would wait if you just wanted sex then you wouldn't
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How long do I have to have taken the bus before I can speak to someone? A week? A month? A year?

Let me tell you this - you could be taking the bus forever and not speaking to a stranger to declare your sexual interest.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Lol people are having more sex than ever ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How so?

If someone has such extreme and draconian rules on who, where and when someone can talk to them then I'd say they were a misanthrope.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Let me tell you this - you could be taking the bus forever and not speaking to a stranger to declare your sexual interest.

I agree but as I said if you have been talking the same bus for weeks or months start on nodding terms if they are ok with that after a while longer a "Hello" could be ok if they respond to that fine if not just leave it.