Sara Cox Sounds Of The 80s Radio 2 (Thread )

occyoccy Posts: 64,630
Forum Member
✭✭
Sara Cox kicks off her first show this coming weekend with special guest Culture Club lead singer and DJ - Boy George.
. Plus on this weeks first show there's a look back at the top 5 this week in 1985, 3 tracks from a classic 80's album and a classic 80's 12" single. To contact the show email: eighties@bbc.co.uk.

Comments

• AgentpopsicleAgentpopsicle Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    This show would have been perfect on Sundays 5-7pm
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    This show would have been perfect on Sundays 5-7pm

Well the easiest thing to do would be to listen to it via iplayer on Sunday between 5 & 7pm!!
  • jimbojimbo Posts: 16,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So long as they play stuff you don't normally hear I will be happy. If not I will be disappointed. We'll have to wait and see. I will give the show a listen before I give a judgement.
  • michael1152michael1152 Posts: 1,966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know If the shows will go out as live?
    I really liked Dave Pearces show each week, but will give the 80's one a go this weekend.
  • Andy WalmsleyAndy Walmsley Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sara has filmed a sort promotional video for the series:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01hm8rw
  • AgentpopsicleAgentpopsicle Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Well the easiest thing to do would be to listen to it via iplayer on Sunday between 5 & 7pm!!

It's not the same. When you listened to the Top 40 in the 80's, you knew you were listening along with millions of other listeners and felt part of something big. Not to mention time checks and references to Saturday night.
  • FM_BanditFM_Bandit Posts: 2,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else think Sara is an odd choice to front this show? She came to prominence as an early-mid 90s 'ladette', surely she should present a 90s themed show!
  • keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FM_Bandit wrote: »
    Anyone else think Sara is an odd choice to front this show? She came to prominence as an early-mid 90s 'ladette', surely she should present a 90s themed show!

Definitely, she was only 5 when the decade started and 15 when it ended, so no real experience of the decade.

But no surprise in respect of the demographic that Radio 2 is now chasing.
  • Black CrowBlack Crow Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    keicar wrote: »
    Definitely, she was only 5 when the decade started and 15 when it ended, so no real experience of the decade.

No experience apart from being a fan of the music that she is likely to be playing.
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I was only 7 in 1980 and 16 in 1989 and I know a lot about 80's music.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    It's not the same. When you listened to the Top 40 in the 80's, you knew you were listening along with millions of other listeners and felt part of something big. Not to mention time checks and references to Saturday night.

There's a feeling a bit like that with Matt Rudd's Forgotten 80s on Absolute 80s, when you see the Twitter comments the show generates. Same generation I guess.

Don't think youngsters today see the 'shared experience' thing as important though.
  • Robert WilliamsRobert Williams Posts: 2,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was 13 at the end of the 80s but I have good memories of pop music from about 1983 onwards, and the 80s feels like my musical era much more than anything that came later.

I don't get the argument that Sara Cox is too young to present the programme, it's like saying that history programmes can only be presented by someone who was there at the time!
  • ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Snap!

I'm liking what's been metioned so far - a mini countdown plus a 12" mix, although it would be nice if there was more than one of these. Hopefully there'll be a guest ever week too. Although I love the popular 80s stuff, I hope we hear more obsucre stuff.
  • Maggie_KingMaggie_King Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    BBC radio 2 should be launching a sounds of the 40s and 50s programs. 80s music is very widely available on other radio stations.
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC radio 2 should be launching a sounds of the 40s and 50s programs. 80s music is very widely available on other radio stations.
    So is 60's & 70's. Radio 2 is supposed to be moving forward not backwards. If the 80's show plays some more obscure tracks then the show will be a lot different from what is offered on commercial radio.
  • Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So she'll be playing the music she grew up with then?

How is that "no real experience of the decade"?
  • Marksw76Marksw76 Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I presume its a short term vehicle for her to 'get her feet under the table' at Radio2 now that she is getting to the very top end of the Radio1 age barrier.

Real shame for Dave Pearce to be dumped for what I assume will be a typical R2 pre record playing the usual hits of Wham, Culture Club and the like

Fair enough, I shouldn't really be so negative before the show even starts but an interview with Boy George to kick things off kind of sets the tone of what's to come, to me.

Fair enough if they mix it up with a bit of 80s groove, 80s house or 80s alternative (although I think will fall under the 6 Music remit) then I'll take a listen but from what I've heard about it so far I'm not expecting much...:rolleyes:
  • Robert WilliamsRobert Williams Posts: 2,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClareB wrote: »
    Hopefully there'll be a guest ever week too.
    It looks like it - second week guest is Dave Stewart from Eurythmics.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    FM_Bandit wrote: »

The thing with Matt Rudd's show is that it's introducing me - I'm a couple of years younger than Sara Cox, btw - to music I've never heard before from the early 80s. I have clear memories from 84 onwards, but the 1980-83 period is such a rich period of British pop history, yet until recently, I didn't know much more than Rio, Gold and Karma Chameleon.

Forgotten 80s delves deep inside the decade to appeal to the afficionados who were there, and the younger people who want to discover new stuff. I have discovered New Musik, The Passions, ABC, Comsat Angels, 'Lawnchairs' by Our Daughter's Wedding (what fun!), Dollar and others I knew nothing about before, because I was listening to nursery rhymes and Play School. :D

I'll give it a chance, but I'm guessing Cox's show could well be just the usual Gold/Rio/Karma Chameleon safety shots, which won't interest me at all.

She could throw a complete curveball, though, and play Boy George's faux-house dance track 'No Clause 28' from 1988 as the first record of his guest slot, then I might take an interest! :p
  • mike_dunnmike_dunn Posts: 374
    Forum Member

Too many old charts being played at that time on various stations!
  • mike_dunnmike_dunn Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    Anyone know if she's doing this live or pre-recording it?
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,669
    Forum Member
    mike_dunn wrote: »
    Anyone know if she's doing this live or pre-recording it?

Live I believe.
  • TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    jimbo wrote: »
    So long as they play stuff you don't normally hear I will be happy. If not I will be disappointed..
    That's my concern. Johnnie Walker's music on Sounds of the Seventies is so predictable and safe.
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Read what is on the opening show l wrote above please
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I quite like the time this show is on. :) Suits me nicely.