Options

FTTH Do i still need to pay line rental for phone line?

I recently moved into a brand new house, Open reach came and installed the broadband and they told me it's FTTH (fiber to the house) It's still not activated yet and it's taking them forever to sort it.

I was wondering if I would still need a phone line or not?

I would appreciate if anyone has this type of connection to let me know how it works. cheers

Comments

• Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I know you are still required to pay line rental even with FTTH. BT would not allow us to get away with not doing so. i think your voice will still come over the normal copper wires. I know it is a disgrace and with FTTH you should be able to do away with line rental or at least full price of it if you do not want a phone at the end of it.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    BT would not allow us to get away with not doing so. i think your voice will still come over the normal copper wires.

Not necessarily. BT can and does provide the voice line over the FTTP network, the modems/ONTs that they install in the home support it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    Not necessarily. BT can and does provide the voice line over the FTTP network, the modems/ONTs that they install in the home support it.

Fair enough, but the OP will still have to pay line rental.
  • Options
    zaaxzaax Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    The OP will have to pay rental for the cable and the modems at each end. BT Opeanreach wholesale price is £8
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zaax wrote: »
    The OP will have to pay rental for the cable and the modems at each end. BT Opeanreach wholesale price is £8

Yes, but that's no different to FTTC or ADSL

The question is whether you have to pay for a phone line on FTTH, because it isn't strictly necessary
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The question is whether you have to pay for a phone line on FTTH, because it isn't strictly necessary

I did read somewhere that he would still have to pay for a home phone Bt will not supply FTTH without line rental.

Maybe best to ask on think broadband, a bit more knowledgeable people on there
  • Options
    BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member

Yes you do - under present rules!!!

BT were supposed to be consulting other ISPs a few months ago about the POSSIBILITY of supplying just broadband with no phone service (and thus no/less line rental).

Don't hold your breath as everyone seems to be using the same model of ever higher line rental - just so they can have a very low (apparent) broadband cost to advertise!!!!:o