Shall I get an I-pad?

Comments

• whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lumstorm wrote: »
    I don't really see the point of tablets myself, they would be better with a more powerful CPU, more storage space, a full OS and a keyboard. They also cost more than a laptop with a higher spec.

I would get a smaller laptop rather than a tablet, but its good to have the choice.

My Nexus 10 was way cheaper than a laptop. Also if they did all the things you suggest it would be an actual laptop anyway. Fine if you dont like tablets but they have fantastic uses for many others.

I hardly ever use my laptop anymore, its so bloody heavy!
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Nexus 10 was way cheaper than a laptop. Also if they did all the things you suggest it would be an actual laptop anyway. Fine if you dont like tablets but they have fantastic uses for many others.

I hardly ever use my laptop anymore, its so bloody heavy!

My main use for my laptop is Microsoft Office and uTorrent... I tend to do pretty much everything else on a tablet now.

Mainly because I only need to charge the tablet once a day at the most and I can use it on the sofa and when out and about.
  • andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Never did like the idea of tablets until I got one. I now spend 50% less time at desktop
  • Ultraman1966Ultraman1966 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    Yes but it's hard to play Hill Climb Racing on a laptop when you're sitting on the toilet.:D
    I prefer using a phone for throne time!
    Honestly, tablets are great for recreational stuff, for sitting on the sofa and general laziness. They can't quite replace laptops and desktops yet but the gap is closing.
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Honestly, tablets are great for recreational stuff, for sitting on the sofa and general laziness. They can't quite replace laptops and desktops yet but the gap is closing.
    They aren't intended as replacements. They're aimed at a different user-base, albeit with a decent sized overlap,

I'd no more use the iPad to write a website than I'd fire up the PC to check email or have a quick furtle on the internet. There's no law that says you must make the choice and have either tablet, laptop or desktop. Fill your house with devices and use whichever suits best at any given time. If cost precludes you from buying an iPad, don't buy an iPad.
  • Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    They aren't intended as replacements. They're aimed at a different user-base, albeit with a decent sized overlap,

I'd no more use the iPad to write a website than I'd fire up the PC to check email or have a quick furtle on the internet. There's no law that says you must make the choice and have either tablet, laptop or desktop. Fill your house with devices and use whichever suits best at any given time. If cost precludes you from buying an iPad, don't buy an iPad.

What a great 'nail on the head comment'. You use what suits the particular task. That's the advantage of differing technology's. You wouldn't use a trowel to dig a 15 metre trench!
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,404
    Forum Member
    Lumstorm wrote: »
    I don't really see the point of tablets myself, they would be better with a more powerful CPU, more storage space, a full OS and a keyboard. They also cost more than a laptop with a higher spec.

I would get a smaller laptop rather than a tablet, but its good to have the choice.

Tablets have the great advantage of being highly portable and I use mine for ebooks and audiobooks, for example.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read the newspaper, on the bog, how antiquated! Once you've read it it doubles up as loo roll.

I wouldn't want to wipe my bum with a tablet!
  • Mr DangerousMr Dangerous Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tablets are used in some shops, I do courier work for a clothing company and they use computers and tablets. Being a high end clothing store they use.......yes you guessed it.... ipads...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure I'll ever get an iPad. The issue is I'm tight as a Gnats chuff and always go for non-apple goods because they are cheaper. The one exception seems to be my iPod nano.

I almost purchased a tablet and came very very close to buying a Nexus but in the end got a Netbook (as the primary purpose for purchase was to get a desktop replacement for travelling).
  • LysandarLysandar Posts: 1,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love my IPad 3 and am never without it.
    Wi Fi is everywhere, and the FaceTime App for instant communication is brilliant, as is the free Amazon Kindle App.
    I tend to use my desktop just for financial things etc. because of the security.
  • Psycho_KittyPsycho_Kitty Posts: 1,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love my iPad, i could never go back to using solely my PC now and its so easy to use. I think they are definitely worth the money.

I do have one dislike though.....No flash!
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A friend of mine was looking for something to take to Spain when she visits relatives , it had to be a certain size as her idea was to take only hand luggage.
    We thought about a tablet thing, but the lack of a decent keyboard, a laptop was out of the question because of size.
    We decided to look at netbooks, including a Chrome one. She found a netbook at CEX for £180 a Samsung NF110, not that old either.

I have never been a fan of netbooks, because they seem so under powered, but to be honest this Samsung is pretty good, a Intel Atom (yuk), 1GB of memory, a 320GB hard drive and running windows 7 starter. I had to reinstall it, because CEX put all their own branding on windows and trying to remove it was a pain. then putting some security and other bits on and taking bits off took a bit longer.

But I put it through a fair bit and the battery lasted over 7 hours and that was using wireless. and bluetooth.

the keyboard is really nice to use even if it is not full size, better than the keyboard on my own laptop and the sound from the internal speakers are pretty good as well, the microphone works well for Skype.

All in all a good machine, that will do the job of allowing the owner to write poems while she is in Spain, use Skype when she is home, less hassle than using her desktop and do other stuff.

A tablet as well as costing a lot more, certainly a Ipad, could not do all of that unless you pay for extras.
  • LysandarLysandar Posts: 1,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love my iPad, i could never go back to using solely my PC now and its so easy to use. I think they are definitely worth the money.

I do have one dislike though.....No flash!

Yes, annoying that it can't take Adobe Flash.
    But that's the only negative I can think of.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    To the op - have a look round in places like Tesco and PC World and see if you can play about with some.

If you like the look of the iPad I can vouch for it being an excellent tablet to use with a decent battery life and very sharp, clear screen.
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I vouch for the try it before you buy it approach.

There is a big difference between the 7 inch and 10 inch in usage.

Well you can't go wrong with a 10 inch iPad which arguably has the best 3rd party software support, but I would strongly recommend the Nexus 7 or 10 if you prefer Android. The nexus 7 is particularly good value.

I don't really see the point of the iPad mini, the screen is too wide to hold comfortably with one hand and with the non retina display it's not as sharp as the Nexus 7.
  • rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »
    I vouch for the try it before you buy it approach.

There is a big difference between the 7 inch and 10 inch in usage.

Well you can't go wrong with a 10 inch iPad which arguably has the best 3rd party software support, but I would strongly recommend the Nexus 7 or 10 if you prefer Android. The nexus 7 is particularly good value.

I don't really see the point of the iPad mini, the screen is too wide to hold comfortably with one hand and with the non retina display it's not as sharp as the Nexus 7.

I don't agree, to me the Nexus 7 screen is a bit narrow if held portrait, The ipad is only 1/2 inch wider but seems to be a better shape, if you get my drift. Maybe it's the aspect ratio is different.

However .. each to there own
  • PPhilsterPPhilster Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    To the op - have a look round in places like Tesco and PC World and see if you can play about with some.

If you like the look of the iPad I can vouch for it being an excellent tablet to use with a decent battery life and very sharp, clear screen.

The iPads have the best battery life of large and small tablets. And as I previously mentioned the iPad has a dramatically better battery life than the Nexus 10.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lysandar wrote: »
    Yes, annoying that it can't take Adobe Flash.
    But that's the only negative I can think of.

In practice it makes little difference as most video is available in HTML 5 or through available apps.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    A friend of mine was looking for something to take to Spain when she visits relatives , it had to be a certain size as her idea was to take only hand luggage.
    We thought about a tablet thing, but the lack of a decent keyboard, a laptop was out of the question because of size.
    We decided to look at netbooks, including a Chrome one. She found a netbook at CEX for £180 a Samsung NF110, not that old either.

I have never been a fan of netbooks, because they seem so under powered, but to be honest this Samsung is pretty good, a Intel Atom (yuk), 1GB of memory, a 320GB hard drive and running windows 7 starter. I had to reinstall it, because CEX put all their own branding on windows and trying to remove it was a pain. then putting some security and other bits on and taking bits off took a bit longer.

But I put it through a fair bit and the battery lasted over 7 hours and that was using wireless. and bluetooth.

the keyboard is really nice to use even if it is not full size, better than the keyboard on my own laptop and the sound from the internal speakers are pretty good as well, the microphone works well for Skype.

All in all a good machine, that will do the job of allowing the owner to write poems while she is in Spain, use Skype when she is home, less hassle than using her desktop and do other stuff.

A tablet as well as costing a lot more, certainly a Ipad, could not do all of that unless you pay for extras.

It doesn't take long to get used to typing on the iPad"s screen keyboard. The keys are also the same size as any current Mac keyboard. The iPad could do everything you mentioned in a much more compact and lighter package with dramatically better battery life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tablets are used in some shops, I do courier work for a clothing company and they use computers and tablets. Being a high end clothing store they use.......yes you guessed it.... ipads...

There is little price difference between iPads and similar level competing Android tablets. Even the subsidized Nexus 7 and 10 are only around $100 less for tablets inferior in build quality and with access to a tablet app library only a fraction of the size of the iPad's.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PPhilster wrote: »
    It doesn't take long to get used to typing on the iPad"s screen keyboard. The keys are also the same size as any current Mac keyboard. The iPad could do everything you mentioned in a much more compact and lighter package with dramatically better battery life.

Typing on the Ipad is as bad as using a ZX81, i doubt she would cope with that being a touch typist, she needs feed back the other problem is that the screen would be flat as you are typing.

I think her choice of a netbook is the best for her and it was cheaper as well. Lots of storage on the drive.

I was surprised how well it worked considering what I chucked at it. sound from the internal speakers was certainly better than what I have heard on a Ipad.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PPhilster wrote: »
    Even the subsidized Nexus 7 and 10 are only around $100 less for tablets inferior in build quality and with access to a tablet app library only a fraction of the size of the iPad's.
    Not true.
    "In October 2012 Google announced that Google Play had 700,000 apps available to download, matching the number of apps in Apple's App Store."
    - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Play
  • Malc LondonMalc London Posts: 2,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love my IPad. It's a mini TV, it's a newspaper, it's a library of books, it's a jukebox.

I hardly use my laptop anymore, my IPad does everything I want. But it is expensive.

I haven't tried the Kindle Fire, but I would look into that if money is tight.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    Not true.
    "In October 2012 Google announced that Google Play had 700,000 apps available to download, matching the number of apps in Apple's App Store."
    - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Play

The poster was referring to the number of apps specifically designed for tablets not the overall number of apps available in the respective stores.