Temporary internet when moving house?

Jungle CatsJungle Cats Posts: 765
Forum Member
✭✭
HI

I'm moving house and want to get some kind of temporary pay-as-you-go broadband to use until I get my new phone line/broadband set up in my new house.

Is this possible? Do I need a dongle or something? and where can I get it from?

sorry I'm not very tech-savvy :blush:

appreciate any help

Comments

• tony-wtony-w Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    Ye you can, simply purchase a Pay As You Go dongle from someone like Vodafone

£10 a month for 1GB of data (should be enough to get online and check emails etc, DO NOT STREAM iPlayer or download anything though as you will soon eat that data up)

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/dongles-and-mobile-wi-fi/index.htm?dfacid=1&cid=aff-aw-default-48973#device_1

EDIT
    That is just as an indication that it is possible, I am sure some more 'savvy' mobile users will have better deals/offers to impart to this thread :)
  • Jungle CatsJungle Cats Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thanks for the advice

Will the dongle work with a desktop PC? or does it have to be a laptop?
  • a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    ....anything that has a USB slot.

Or create a wireless hotspot using a mifi device if you have multiple devices you want connecting to the net. (Or if the mobile network signal is better lets say on top of a bookshelf than immediately next to the PC - the mifi picks up the mobile signal where it's the best and then radiates a hotspot around the room).

You can get a data sim with 2GB preloaded for 30 days on EE for around £10 on Amazon, or 6GB for around £16. Or there are payg data SIMs from Three also via Amazon. Just pop in the data SIM in your dongle or mifi and follow the instructions. (Make sure that the dongle or mifi isn't locked to a certain network).
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks for the advice

Will the dongle work with a desktop PC? or does it have to be a laptop?

There are only three requirements for using a dongle. A free USB port to plug it into, a supported operating system and a mobile phone signal.

There is nothing about Windows on a desktop that makes it very different to the same version of Windows running on a laptop. Certainly not to make some devices only work on one or the other.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Check the coverage map as well though on the Vodafone site. No point in splashing out on a Dongle if it is not going to work where you are moving to.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,505
    Forum Member
    Or check your mobile phone (or tell us the model). It may have Internet Sharing on that (depending on your ISP). This sets up a local wif-fi hotspot for other devices to use. Good enough for checking email and gentle browsing or even streaming video if you have a good mobile signal.
  • Jungle CatsJungle Cats Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thanks for the help people

I'm going to try and get a dongle from an EE/02/vodafone shop. Don't have time to order one over the net
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got a MiFi device from 3 when moving house a couple of years ago. The speeds of up to 20Mbps were a lot faster than ADSL.

EE and 3 are generally thought to be best when it comes to mobile broadband (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28837671) but ultimately it depends on your area.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thanks for the help people
    I'm going to try and get a dongle from an EE/02/vodafone shop. Don't have time to order one over the net
    (sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but.....)
    How did you get on ? Might need to do something similar when I move so am interested to know what happened with ya. :)
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For zwixxx, BT provide WiFi hotspots for extortionate amounts of money.

It's called BT Fon. You would need to check your local WiFi signals to see if you have "BTWifi with Fon" nearby.

£39 for 30days. It says 720 hours so that appears to be only data limited by the speed of the connection to the nearby Fon hotspot. I think it's about 2Mbits/sec or maybe less.

One negative, the wifi is "open", so you would need good security on your laptop/PC.

I think a 3g dongle and a 30day service would be more expensive, but it would be more secure.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That IS expensive. Be preferable to pocket the money and simply pop down the library and/or MacDonalds to use their connection. It would only be to check + send email ~once whilst I await the Virgin installer to come install the V. Guess I shoulda asked Santa for a 3G Smart Phone :) - thanx for the reply though. :)