Options

Why are people who aren't normally into films obsessed by Harry Potter and Twilight?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Lord of the Rings internet fandom was MASSIVE when the Peter Jackson films started to come out, beginning with Fellowship of the Ring. I was never in that fandom but I still heard about a lot of seriously crazy fan behaviour that went down which was extremely disturbing.

Who knows why people latch onto things like HP and Twilight? I guess something about it captures their imaginations somehow. It won't be solely about wanting to "belong" to something.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    I never understand why the two franchises are always compared. :confused: Even though Harry Potter is out, Twilight seems to enter into all the discussion too.
    They seem totally different to me.

I've watched Harry Potter but didn't find it that interesting or enthralling, shame because I usually like magic stuff. Maybe it's the kids. ;)
    I somehow managed to avoid the whole Twilight stuff, but recently I've watched the films and read the books and found them great escapism.
    Certainly I'm not obsessed with either, and I'm a straight guy so don't get off on the guys taking their tops off :Dand I tend to concentrate on the action rather than the romance.

There was action in the twilight movies?? It must have happened at that point I sneezed :) I remember watching the first two twilight films because the third ones trailer looked actioned packed what I didn't realise was that they put all the action that was contained in the entire film in that 2 minute trailer (and that included some inane chatter :)) I wasn't happy as I rented the other two films so I would be caught up so that was over 4 hours of unemotional tween angst and then I went to see the third the next day thinking well this one looks good at least :(

On the plus side though I really can't remember much of the third film at all - I was trying to recall it earlier today and could just remember some running - oh and something about a blonde kid in an alley or something has come back to me just now.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vicky2424 wrote: »
    Harry Potter made the term fandom as it is now, when it first came out the internet was very much in it's infancy, I used to keep up to date with potter news on newsround before I discovered things like Mugglenet and LJ and now tumblr, twitter etc. I can remember how basic the first harry potter website was.

Twilight is brought into the argument as it's the only fandom that could attempt to rival potter, tbh I don't even think it touches it

I would suggest that it was the Internet that made fandom what it is today rather than one specific franchise. Obsessed fans existed long before Harry Potter came along. Be it Star Wars, Star Trek, etc. When the Internet became accessible it was embraced by all.
  • Options
    NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a mixture of things, but mainly down to the emotional ties people create while reading the books IMHO, and the fact that many of the main audience for these series are teenage girls therefore those aemotional ties are about as intense as you get.
  • Options
    AfterlifeAfterlife Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never thought Harry Potter mainly had a teenage girl fanbase? :confused:
  • Options
    NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a mixture of things, but mainly down to the emotional ties people create while reading the books IMHO, and the fact that much of the main audience for these series is teenage girls therefore those aemotional ties are about as intense as you get.
    Afterlife wrote: »
    I never thought Harry Potter mainly had a teenage girl fanbase? :confused:

I have reworded the particular line in question so it's less confusing, though I don't know how it was confusing in the first place.
  • Options
    Sparklyblue171Sparklyblue171 Posts: 3,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I grew up with the books and films of Harry Potter, and to have something like Potter grow up with you on the big screen for 10 years is something that is quite rare with franchises, letalone popular ones.

The Harry Potter franchise has already made it's mark on cinema. It's full of top-class British talent. Some of the films have made it on the lists of top-grossing films ever.
    Overall it is the highest-grossing film franchise of all time. Around $6 billion, and that's not including Deathly Hallows Part 2.

Not every person on the Earth is going to "get" or have a connection with Harry Potter's world, but it's a series that deserves respect for it's monumental achievements.
    vicky2424 wrote: »
    Twilight is brought into the argument as it's the only fandom that could attempt to rival potter, tbh I don't even think it touches it

Agreed. What's funny is after I finished reading the last HP book, I started reading Twilight and I didn't mind it. But seriously and I don't mean to offend, some of their fans are the most stupidest people I've ever seen. It was because of their delusions and radical behaviour that I gave up the entire series. It was that bad. They drove me crazy.

Looking back on it now (I dropped Twilight some years ago), I don't feel I've missed much. Instead I've spent more time discussing and enjoying the finale of one of the most loved and respected series in the whole world. I have everyhing I need here.
  • Options
    Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Up until last week I was never interested in the Harry Potter films. But all the buzz around the final movie and my friends being desperate to see it made me want to see what I was missing out on. So I went out and bought the DVDs, and they are brilliant. And now I cannot wait till I see the final one next week.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The amount of takings over a day is quite astonishing, attributable to a number of reasons, not least of which is the increased 3D ticket prices. Ofcourse the fact that this moment will never happen again (even if they do remakes someday) has driven an already excited and large fanbase out in desperate droves to see it as quickly as possible. And swelling the coffers no doubt by going to see it at least once more in the next few weeks.

It will sail past a billion at the box office very quickly and be the first Potter film to do that. It will have to go some though to beat Avatar which at 2.7 billion is 1.5 billion ahead of any other film in history apart from Titanic.

Im quite envious of the people who managed to grow up with the cast, as an adult when the first one was released its rather passed me by(the first one was released alongside LOTR and I didnt think it held up to that) and even though Iv seen several of the films it does not mean much to me and the fervour now is something of a puzzle.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    I would suggest that it was the Internet that made fandom what it is today rather than one specific franchise. Obsessed fans existed long before Harry Potter came along. Be it Star Wars, Star Trek, etc. When the Internet became accessible it was embraced by all.

I agree. Dr Who is an obvious example, the things you mention and teenage girls have always screamed from The Beatles to Justin Bieber. However the internet binds a movement into a global phenomena. Its astonishing and a bit scary too.