Transferring from phone to tablet?

allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm very new to Android having just got an HTC One M8 after years of iPhones.
Have totally fallen for Android and I'm getting a Nexus 7 - I think 2013.
Can anyone tell me how I can transfer contacts, apps etc from my mobile to the new tablet please?
I have a Macbook Air and iPad Air so I don't think they'll be much help!
Would be grateful for any advice - preferably in non technical language! Thanks!

Comments

• iGeek2014iGeek2014 Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allie4 wrote: »
    I'm very new to Android having just got an HTC One M8 after years of iPhones.
    Have totally fallen for Android and I'm getting a Nexus 7 - I think 2013.
    Can anyone tell me how I can transfer contacts, apps etc from my mobile to the new tablet please?
    I have a Macbook Air and iPad Air so I don't think they'll be much help!
    Would be grateful for any advice - preferably in non technical language! Thanks!

Hello Allie.

Hopefully this link (from Wikihow) will help you.

http://www.wikihow.com/Sync-Google-Contacts-With-Android

When you sign into your Google account I'm guessing when you log onto the Play store you should be able to download previous purchases in a similar manner to the App store on iOS; but I haven't got an Android phone/tablet so I can't help with that.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as you use the same Google account your contacts will automatically be carried over. SMS messages won't (though there are plenty of free Apps for doing that) however your tablet can't send SMS messages so that does not matter.

Apps won't automatically install but in Google Play market place if you select All Apps or My Apps it will display any apps your have previously installed on other devices (e.g. your phone) and if they are compatible with the table, you can easily install them to your tablet.

You don't even need to be on your tablet to do this. if you open Chrome on your PC and sign on with the same account as used on the phone and tablet then you can select Play store and then My Apps. Again it will give you a list of all apps you have previously installed. You can then select the apps and remotely trigger the install on your tablet.
  • allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iGeek2014 wrote: »
    Hello Allie.

Hopefully this link (from Wikihow) will help you.

http://www.wikihow.com/Sync-Google-Contacts-With-Android
    Useful link - thanks, Geek2014! (I'm currently trying to be a geek but atm lack the technical skills!)

When you sign into your Google account I'm guessing when you log onto the Play store you should be able to download previous purchases in a similar manner to the App store on iOS; but I haven't got an Android phone/tablet so I can't help with that.
    c4rv wrote: »
    As long as you use the same Google account your contacts will automatically be carried over. SMS messages won't (though there are plenty of free Apps for doing that) however your tablet can't send SMS messages so that does not matter.

Apps won't automatically install but in Google Play market place if you select All Apps or My Apps it will display any apps your have previously installed on other devices (e.g. your phone) and if they are compatible with the table, you can easily install them to your tablet.

You don't even need to be on your tablet to do this. if you open Chrome on your PC and sign on with the same account as used on the phone and tablet then you can select Play store and then My Apps. Again it will give you a list of all apps you have previously installed. You can then select the apps and remotely trigger the install on your tablet.
    Aha - thanks, c4rv, that's helpful.
    Am overcome at how helpful and nice people are on these techie threads! And patient!:D:blush: