Options

3..good, bad or indifferent?

allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
Forum Member
✭✭
I promised a friend I would do a bit of research for her about her moving from Vodafone to 3 and where better to look than here?
Can any of you tell me what are the advantages/ disadvantages of 3? She thinks they have better offers than other providers but I thought I'd read they weren't so good?
Advice gratefully received!

Comments

• Options
    joelukenjoeluken Posts: 250
    Forum Member
    allie4 wrote: »
    I promised a friend I would do a bit of research for her about her moving from Vodafone to 3 and where better to look than here?
    Can any of you tell me what are the advantages/ disadvantages of 3? She thinks they have better offers than other providers but I thought I'd read they weren't so good?
    Advice gratefully received!

As with any network the disadvantage may be related to use areas so check coverage first hand. I find Three good value for money and it provides fast/reliable 3G data where I need to use it. The In Touch app supports voice and text over Wifi which can be useful in buildings where no mobile network reaches. Feel at home inclusive roaming is also great value when I visit the USA. There will be places as where Three coverage isn't very good I've found this to be true of all networks hence the opening sentence.

Latest rootmetrics report comparing all UK MNO's -

http://www.rootmetrics.com/uk/special-report-2014-1h-uk
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3 was once a poor network, but it has improved massively in recent years. I switched to them in 2012 and haven't looked back. The fact they're now ahead of O2 and Vodafone in RootMetrics tests shows the progress they've made.

The best thing to do is get a pay as you go SIM card and give it a try, then you can check the coverage and speeds in your area before signing up to anything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Useful info and advice - thanks, guys!
  • Options
    darren221980darren221980 Posts: 498
    Forum Member
    I've been with 3 for almost two years however have had issues with service (dropped phone calls, slow internet / no internet & decrease in signal levels) at my work address for the last 12 months. After several complaints to them they have this week admitted to many customers using the mast. Luckily i don't get that problem at home though.

Also the partner gets the same problem in shrewsbury. So from my experience providing the masts aren't oversubscribed in the area they provide a decent service.

The problem is they don't want to tell you the masts are oversubscribed so you probably wouldn't be able to find out until your a customer.
  • Options
    Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have either been with O2 or Vodafone for MANY years and have always sworn by them until I swapped to Three around a year ago and could not be happier.

The final straw was when I was only getting .1meg download speed (yes 100k) when I had always got 5+ in my home town even though I had decent 3G signal (on my works phone and also my own phone). Vodafone did not sort this out over several months.

I still can't believe how O2 and Vodafone can get away with their lack of 3G.

Vodafone has now become a joke with data speeds and dropped calls.
  • Options
    sdduksdduk Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    As omnidirectional Said The best thing to do is get a pay as you go SIM card and give it a try....Link Below

https://www.three.co.uk/Support/Free_SIM/Order
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3 was once a poor network, but it has improved massively in recent years. I switched to them in 2012 and haven't looked back. The fact they're now ahead of O2 and Vodafone in RootMetrics tests shows the progress they've made.

The best thing to do is get a pay as you go SIM card and give it a try, then you can check the coverage and speeds in your area before signing up to anything.

Good advice, tried this myself with 3...excellent coverage around town, unfortunately at home no signal.
  • Options
    heskethbangheskethbang Posts: 4,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As people have said, coverage is very bespoke to your needs, so coverage check several postcodes where you are going to use the phone, and base your decision on that.

As someone who has used all the networks, I find three excellent. For example, even with 1 bar of signal, I can get a usable data connection, whereas the same signal from Voda or O2 would often render the phone effectively unconnected. Also, with Voda, I found I was having to take advantage of pub/cafe wifi, whereas with 3, I usually find the 3.5g data is as fast if not faster than the wifi, so I hardly use wifi now outside of home.
    I had a USA holiday this year across 7 states, and being able to use my phone for mapping etc for free was just superb.
    Also, along with EE, you get HD calling between three -to three and three to ee calls.
    I pay £9.90 per month for 600mins. 5000 texts and 1GB of data.

For what I need from a phone, nobody else touches three for this price.
  • Options
    Stereo SteveStereo Steve Posts: 1,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent in many ways but hamstrung with their high frequencies for rural areas. But at least they have put the investment into 3G and sometimes I miss that, even if my phone wouldn't ring in many places I went. I reckon the whole market is going to change over the next 2 years with all networks being able to use lower frequencies and then the competition will move to price and service. O2 and VOD will no longer be able to get away with forcing folk to use them because they have 900MHz. They will have to actually invest in their networks and keep up with EE and 3.
  • Options
    tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,664
    Forum Member
    Excellent in many ways but hamstrung with their high frequencies for rural areas. But at least they have put the investment into 3G and sometimes I miss that, even if my phone wouldn't ring in many places I went. I reckon the whole market is going to change over the next 2 years with all networks being able to use lower frequencies and then the competition will move to price and service. O2 and VOD will no longer be able to get away with forcing folk to use them because they have 900MHz. They will have to actually invest in their networks and keep up with EE and 3.

Lower frequencies is only an excuse when you don't have enough masts. When every network has low frequencies for 4G then having not enough masts will mean less capacity (ie, slower speeds) and or less good indoor coverage.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jchamier wrote: »
    Lower frequencies is only an excuse when you don't have enough masts. When every network has low frequencies for 4G then having not enough masts will mean less capacity (ie, slower speeds) and or less good indoor coverage.

I was going to say this, I started typing about cell spacing being planned differently on MBNL to take account of spectrum and then closed the window. The issue of frequency vs coverage is often misunderstood, as the people that post about it assume the spacing is the same, if the cell spacing is more dense on higher frequencies, it has the benefits of similar coverage and much better capacity.
  • Options
    Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No experience with Voda really but I've been with Three for 4-5 years and they have come along hugely in the last 1-2 years. Where I live and work I've never had an issue with signal, very very reliable service, I could probably count on one hand the amount of times I've had a problem and needed to call them. And even if there was an issue it gets sorted fairly quickly.

No intention of moving networks, especially if I can't get unlimited internet/tethering(which you can't)
  • Options
    KIIS102KIIS102 Posts: 8,539
    Forum Member
    I quite like 3 actually, only just recently changed to them.

I used to be with Vodafone for about 5yrs, tried Tesco Mobile (O2) for about a year then moved onto Giff Gaff (O2 again) for about 3years. Vodafone were quite good with their signal for calls/data but were quite expensive. O2 were ok but data was slow.

Not sure why but I always avoided 3 mainly due to the reputation based on what they were like back when I was on Vodafone. However, I've only been with 3 for about 4months but I have to say I'm very impressed. Their prices are quite good, 3G is much faster than I ever got with O2/Vodafone. The only issue I have is poor signal in some areas but for the most part I think they're definitely the best network I've been with now + the 123 Pay as you go plan is great!.

P.s. I don't work for Three! :)
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you don't use data very much and use voice calls or text and don't mind paying over the odds then Vodafone is fine. Both Vodafone and O2 are trying to catch up with a decade of minimal investment in their data networks and it shows!

Three are very good for data. Three have no 2G network they use 21000MHz for 3G and 1800MHz / 800MHz for 4G. They only issue as others have pointed is indoors 3G coverage can be an issue. They have a In Touch WiFi app and Home Signal Box (Femtocell) to get around this. Voice Over LTE will solve many of these issues as will their use of 800MHz. So try a pay as you go sim and see how things work out.
  • Options
    sweetstylesweetstyle Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    Can some one explain this to me? I keep reading Three has no 2g but when my display loses the g I can still make calls and text with no problems. What exactly is the phone connecting to?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KIIS102 wrote: »
    I quite like 3 actually, only just recently changed to them.

I used to be with Vodafone for about 5yrs, tried Tesco Mobile (O2) for about a year then moved onto Giff Gaff (O2 again) for about 3years. Vodafone were quite good with their signal for calls/data but were quite expensive. O2 were ok but data was slow.

Not sure why but I always avoided 3 mainly due to the reputation based on what they were like back when I was on Vodafone. However, I've only been with 3 for about 4months but I have to say I'm very impressed. Their prices are quite good, 3G is much faster than I ever got with O2/Vodafone. The only issue I have is poor signal in some areas but for the most part I think they're definitely the best network I've been with now + the 123 Pay as you go plan is great!.

P.s. I don't work for Three! :)

I was beginning to wonder!:D:D
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sweetstyle wrote: »
    Can some one explain this to me? I keep reading Three has no 2g but when my display loses the g I can still make calls and text with no problems. What exactly is the phone connecting to?

Three provides access to Orange 2G in certain areas, mainly rural spots which have little or no 3G coverage. I've seen it in quite a lot of North and Mid Wales for example.
  • Options
    KIIS102KIIS102 Posts: 8,539
    Forum Member
    allie4 wrote: »
    I was beginning to wonder!:D:D

I realized when I stopped typing how suspicious I sounded haha
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadly data is not enabled on 2G and it's a shame it isn't still on in some places.
  • Options
    mupet0000mupet0000 Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Sadly data is not enabled on 2G and it's a shame it isn't still on in some places.

Their 2G backup is being turned off in more places rather than on, surely.
  • Options
    d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »

Then again, when you look at 2G data on O2 and Voda you realise just how useless 2G data can be ;).
  • Options
    tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,664
    Forum Member
    d123 wrote: »
    Then again, when you look at 2G data on O2 and Voda you realise just how useless 2G data can be ;).

On EE I manage to get 45kbps around here on GPRS, good enough for messaging :)