Options

prepayment gas meter.

annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
Forum Member
please can someone explain [in simple terms] how i`ve just put twenty quid in the gas meter - emergency credit expired yesterday - and got £6 gas, emergency credit used.

Comments

• Options
    sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    Does this help any? I know you may not be on edf, but I'm sure all companies will work in a similar way

https://edfenergyuk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8/~/what-happens-if-my-meter-runs-out-of-credit%3F

:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    thank you, i am with edf, it`s surely taken more than 70% unless my maths are off. which they invariably are :blush:

i thought i`d read that they`d had to stop that daily charge lark a couple of years ago.

that`s a lesson learned then, bung it in the meter when you get it, don`t let it sit on the card till you need it.
  • Options
    sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately, 70% of 20 is 14, which would indeed leave £6.... :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i did say m,y maths were shite :D i was roughly thirding it and finding my meter wanting :blush:
  • Options
    AligatorCatAligatorCat Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    I think I have also been told that emergency credit gets used quicker. Not sure whether that is correct, but I suppose it makes sense.
  • Options
    BanziBabyBanziBaby Posts: 473
    Forum Member
    With my pre payment gas meter if you use the emergency credit & that runs out & the meter turns the gas supply off you still rack up a charge so when you put credit in it deducts the credit that was used & also deducts the charge that has built up.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i did say m,y maths were shite :D i was roughly thirding it and finding my meter wanting :blush:
    It must be, because roughly thirding £20 should give you £6. :D

A third of £10 is £3.33, double that for £20 gives £6.66. :)