Wayne Rooney Named England Captain

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
Forum Member
Just been announced, no link yet but will post when one is published.

Thoughts on the issue?

Personally I can't see what he has done apart from being the most experienced player. He has hardly played his best for England.

Comments

• Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And it begins....
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    expected but not sure why, great goalscoring record but seems to go missing when needed most, moaned at being booed by fans after a 0-0 draw to algeria,what did he expect? also does this make him undroppable?

saying that bar cahill and hart not really anyone else who could take it for me, also he is capable of being our best player too so hopefully if he performs it will lift everyone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Who cares? he is going to get abuse either way.

Im not fussed about England but i think its the right appointment. marketing has a role to play in the decision i reckon, Rooney will sell more England kit than the likes of Cahill, Henderson, Hart.

Just because he is captain doesn't mean you can't have leaders elsewhere on the pitch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There isn't anyone better for the job, irrespective of what anyone has to say about his wages/character/temperament/influence.

The end.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was the best candidate for the job, simple as that really.
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    And it begins....

Yep. England football not revenant anymore, soon the team will be made up of players from the championship.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Great, he's undroppable.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's the wrong decision. Rooney may or may not be the BEST England player at the moment, but I've never seen him demonstrate any leadership qualities for either United or England.

That, and I'm not a massive fan of a striker being a captain. I'd prefer it to be either a central defender, who has a view of the entire pitch. Or a central midfielder who will be all over the pitch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    RotMojo wrote: »
    There isn't anyone better for the job, irrespective of what anyone has to say about his wages/character/temperament/influence.

The end.

If that's true, surely that's a pretty damning view of the England team?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    BBC link if anyone's interested / as promised

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28963116
  • The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking at the pretty average people who could be considered Rooney was the most sensible and logical choice.

Cahill might have run him close but with Rooney holding a clubs armband it puts Rooney slightly in front.
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    I'd have given it to Gary Cahill.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jack1 wrote: »
    If that's true, surely that's a pretty damning view of the England team?

I'm sorry, did you not see the World Cup?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »
    I think it's the wrong decision. Rooney may or may not be the BEST England player at the moment, but I've never seen him demonstrate any leadership qualities for either United or England.

That, and I'm not a massive fan of a striker being a captain. I'd prefer it to be either a central defender, who has a view of the entire pitch. Or a central midfielder who will be all over the pitch.

Rooney will have a great view of the pitch, because he always has his back to goal! lol
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Purely from a club point of view, I'd rather he didn't have it. Not sure he needs the extra hassle and grief.
  • OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,509
    Forum Member
    Sits back and waits for all the hilarious bitterness coming from supposed 'neutrals' ...............................................
  • JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    And it begins....

I love that I won Rooney bingo with 'Rubbish in an England shirt' in the opening post!!!
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member
    Why does it even matter? It's not cricket, the captain hardly does anything anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    for gods sake, its a thread about the england captain, why come into it and turn it into yet another woe is me thread?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    for gods sake, its a thread about the england captain, why come into it and turn it into yet another woe is me thread?

Huh? Just because people are having fun predicting the outcry of "Rooney doesn't deserve it because of reason X"?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Huh? Just because people are having fun predicting the outcry of "Rooney doesn't deserve it because of reason X"?

having fun whilst calling people bitter??????? come on even you cant excuse that.
  • JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member

Are you talking to me?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    having fun whilst calling people bitter??????? come on even you cant excuse that.

But people are bitter about it. It's only calling a spade a spade at the end of the day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But people are bitter about it. It's only calling a spade a spade at the end of the day.

thats not a fact at all and all it does is destroy a thread in the process.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thats not a fact at all and all it does is destroy a thread in the process.

Meh, the thread was always going to descend into chaos. It is about Wayne Rooney after all.

Not everyone is bitter, but there is a very large proportion out there.