Problem with Debenhams staff.

Comments

• AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seellee wrote: »
    Dont you think that it strange though, how I could have been dishonest and gotten a full refund? Is it right?

the fact that somebody else got an exchange with a product without cellophane also frustrated me.

Yes but you don't know the full circumstance behind that, just what you heard or thought you heard.

And I don't think its strange you would have gotten a refund if you'd been deceitful, you might find that they tried to dispute your claim but it doesn't then because you were honest give you divine right to a refund
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they were mean spirited a bit. Especially as I wasnt lying . I know how shops work. I didnt even want a refund and explained that clearly.

Why should they "lose" money for your mistake?
  • seelleeseellee Posts: 10,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »
    Debenhams were clearly in the right. I know I'd not pay full price for a bottle of perfume or aftershave that had no cellophane on it. Who would?

I also have to wonder at the sort of logic that returns a bottle of perfume/aftershave without smelling it solely because it says on the bottle that it is for the other gender. I'm not doubting you when you say you didn't smell it, because you say you didn't and I wasn't there. That's fair enough.
    But why is it such a big deal that it was a woman's scent rather than a man's?

because it was for a man. Ive no problem with unisex fragrances, but i like my men to smell like a man.lol

The reason I didnt spray it was because I thought it would be easier to exchange , obviously not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Yes but you don't know the full circumstance behind that, just what you heard or thought you heard.

And I don't think its strange you would have gotten a refund if you'd been deceitful, you might find that they tried to dispute your claim but it doesn't then because you were honest give you divine right to a refund

I do know the full circumstances, she came to the counter after me. Said Id like to exchange this for this and got it no questions asked.lol

Next time, Im just going to break the lid or something, get the refund which im entitled to by law and they would lose money anyhow. Its things like this that makes people want to be dishonest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »

I didnt want a refund anyway, just an exchange, plus pay extra for another product. I would also have been happy to meet her halfway, for example if she had to knock £5 off the product to resell it, I would be happy to have an exchange for £5 less than I paid for the product. As it was my mistake. She did have other options rather than outright refuse, but chose not to use them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    for example if she had to knock £5 off the product to resell it, I would be happy to have an exchange for £5 less than I paid for the product. As it was my mistake. She did have other options rather than outright refuse, but chose not to use them.

The point is that they CAN'T resell it!

My mate did somethign similar - she brought a perfume for her Mum and got the wrong one (right brand, wrong fragrance).

She just put a notice on the board at work and sold it "privately".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    The point is that they CAN'T resell it!

My mate did somethign similar - she brought a perfume for her Mum and got the wrong one (right brand, wrong fragrance).

She just put a notice on the board at work and sold it "privately".

They have a discounted reduced to clear section at Debenhams, it could be resold without cellophane, I took a look at it. I would have accepted an exchange but only up to say £32 rather than the £42 I paid for it. She had options, every manager does in retail.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This all boils down to one thing for me - Debenhams have no legal or moral responsibility to rectify YOUR mistake.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This all boils down to one thing for me - Debenhams have no legal or moral responsibility to rectify YOUR mistake.

Of course not I agree with you, but there is also a thing called service. Like I say she could have easily have rectified the situation and shown some goodwill, but for whatever chose not to.I would then have told everyone how great they had been and continued shopping there. As a result I chose the option not to shop there anymore. In hindsight I should have just broken the bottle, they couldnt refuse the refund then its against what trading standards say. It would then be up to the shop to prove i had broken it, which they had no way of doing. Like I say honesty gets you nowhere.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But why should honesty get you a refund you were not entitled to?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why you are so aggrieved that you didn't get something you weren't actually entitled to anyway?
  • squibblesquibble Posts: 750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Regardless of whether they could outright refuse to exchange due to the cellophane, it's pretty apparent in this situation that it's not some scally trying to get something for nothing and as such the supervisor should really have shown some kind of goodwill to a paying customer.

For Debenhams it's not really a great effort, they can just send it back in returns and get it exchanged for a new item, or put it out slightly cheaper and still make a profit.

I personally wouldn't expect the exchange, but I would be very appreciative of a company who could see past the monetary difference between a full RRP and putting something out as a second compared to losing a customer.

As an afterthought - isn't Debenhams a large shop full of concessions? So they probably all have different policies.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    squibble wrote: »
    Regardless of whether they could outright refuse to exchange due to the cellophane, it's pretty apparent in this situation that it's not some scally trying to get something for nothing and as such the supervisor should really have shown some kind of goodwill to a paying customer.

Why is it apparent?

All we can take is seellee's word for it (which I believe :D) but do you expect staff to make "judgements" based on appearance and a good story?

For every 1 genuine case like seellee there will be 20 people trying it on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

For Debenhams it's not really a great effort, they can just send it back in returns and get it exchanged for a new item, or put it out slightly cheaper and still make a profit.

I personally wouldn't expect the exchange, but I would be very appreciative of a company who could see past the monetary difference between a full RRP and putting something out as a second compared to losing a customer.

As an afterthought - isn't Debenhams a large shop full of concessions? So they probably all have different policies.

Exactly my thoughts, I wasnt necessarily expecting a FULL exchange but expected better service definately. As you say Im not a scally trying to make some money. Like I said I would have expected something at least. I think to outright refuse was bad customer service.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is it apparent?

All we can take is seellee's word for it (which I believe :D) but do you expect staff to make "judgements" based on appearance and a good story?

Im always more sympathetic with people who dont make a fuss and are polite at work, rightly or wrongly. If it was me I would have given an exchange or something to show some kind of goodwill. If I were being stroppy I could understand.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gadders wrote: »
    But why should honesty get you a refund you were not entitled to?

I didnt want or expect a refund. I wanted an exchange there is a difference.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    Dr Doofensmirtz informed me Perry the Platapus is on his way! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But the OP appears to have expected the exchange just because they were honest and is now here whinging about Debenhams staff because he didn't get it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To the staff in the Debenhams the story could have seemed implausible.

The OP did not notice that he had picked up ladies perfume by mistake off the shelf, when paying for it, when taking it out of the bag when he got home, when he wrapped it up, when his partner unwrapped it ... It was only after he had ripped the cellophane off and opened the box that he suddenly realised his error.

Why should the staff believe him?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is it apparent?

The judgement I am basing it on, was that she had the product, she had the receipt, she had another item she was paying for and she told the truth to the staff about what happened.

What is she gaining from that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didnt want or expect a refund. I wanted an exchange there is a difference.

Ok then - why should honesty get you an exchange to which you are not entitled?
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It beggers belief that anyone would pay £42 for aftershave anyway.
  • big moliobig molio Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    You should have said that you actually asked for a man's fragrance in the store at the time of purchase and the sales assistant made the mistake, kicked up a fuss
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But the OP appears to have expected the exchange just because they were honest and is now here whinging about Debenhams staff because he didn't get it.

I'd be pissed too - especially if I was a regular customer and I had made a genuine mistake, and it really wasn't that big of a deal to the retailer, and they flatly refused purely on the basis that they had the inconvenience of returning it.

If the shop's in the right, which they obviously are here, then I wouldn't make a song and dance about it, but I'd think about shopping somewhere where I'd get decent customer service.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gadders wrote: »
    Ok then - why should honesty get you an exchange to which you are not entitled?

Thats obvious isnt it?, surely being honest should have counted for something with the staff and the company I was giving my custom to?. Especially with so many people out there trying it on. The staff believed me and didnt have any reason not to, as i wasnt being aggressive etc, the main problem they seemed to have was that the cellophane had been removed. All Im saying is that things arent always black and white and the lady could have easily done something for me. Anybody that says she couldnt and her hands were tied does not know retail. Thats what frustrated me the most, she was so unforgiving and kind of cold as well.