Options

CS I've tried to like Gloria but I just can't.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,747
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Sue Johnstone is a brilliant actress but Gloria is a horror.

I have really, really tried to like her, given it time as she was an awful liar and fantasist when she first arrived, however it's just not working.

I can't warm to the character, she annoys me with her judging, her small mindedness, her interfering, her bluntness and her overall selfish persona.

The script writers have got this one wrong in comparison to some of the brilliant older Corrie characters past and present. Blanche was one if my all time favourites as were Jack and Vera. Sylvia is spot on and I live the Dennis and Rita partnership but I fund myself wanting to fast forward every time Gloria is on screen.

Just my opinion.

Comments

• Options
    priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she slightly better than when she first arrived but overall I agree with you. Also agree about Blanche, and how they've got it right with Slyvia.
  • Options
    IzzyInTheHouseIzzyInTheHouse Posts: 4,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm hot and cold with her, one minute I like her, one minute I don't tbh.

She needs fleshing out a bit, she was quite good when Stella was very ill, we need to see her softer side more.

I am loving Eva more and more though :D her one liners are great!
  • Options
    Corrie2010Corrie2010 Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's better when she first arrived. This stint is alot better, but she couold do with some impreovements. It will take longer for Gloria to grow on me than Stella
  • Options
    mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,772
    Forum Member
    Absolutely loathe her
  • Options
    Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree i don't like her one bit. They really have failed to make her likeable and instead she just comes across as horrible and obnoxious. Blanche could be very judgmental and unpleasant and i think they've tried to tap into that with Gloria - right down to her harshness towards her daughter. However Gloria just doesn't have that likability that Blanche had which made her outrageous behavior somewhat acceptable and amusing. Gloria just comes across as nasty.
  • Options
    IzzyInTheHouseIzzyInTheHouse Posts: 4,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree i don't like her one bit. They really have failed to make her likeable and instead she just comes across as horrible and obnoxious. Blanche could be very judgmental and unpleasant and i think they've tried to tap into that with Gloria - right down to her harshness towards her daughter. However Gloria just doesn't have that likability that Blanche had which made her outrageous behavior somewhat acceptable and amusing. Gloria just comes across as nasty.

It's quite funny when you think about how well loved Blanche was/is considering she was damn nasty sometimes!

I still think they're trying to mould Sylvia into a Blanche like character, for me it's just not working.
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm hot and cold with her, one minute I like her, one minute I don't tbh.

Agreed. One episode I will love her and the next I despise her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's quite funny when you think about how well loved Blanche was/is considering she was damn nasty sometimes!

I still think they're trying to mould Sylvia into a Blanche like character, for me it's just not working.

Lol I agree about Blanche, she was a horror and yet very well liked. I think it was because she was hilarious whereas Gloria comes over as just nasty and vindictive.

I fail to find any comedy at all from Gloria's antics whereas Blanche had me laughing out loud, even when she was being just awful.

Perhaps its the writing or even the delivery but Glo just ain't funny.
  • Options
    ScreamingTree<3ScreamingTree<3 Posts: 4,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's awful.
  • Options
    valtimmyvaltimmy Posts: 7,158
    Forum Member
    Tiggi wrote: »

I have really, really tried to like her, given it time as she was an awful liar and fantasist when she first arrived, however it's just not working.

I can't warm to the character, she annoys me with her judging, her small mindedness, her interfering, her bluntness and her overall selfish persona.

The script writers have got this one wrong in comparison to some of the brilliant older Corrie characters past and present. Blanche was one if my all time favourites as were Jack and Vera. Sylvia is spot on and I live the Dennis and Rita partnership but I fund myself wanting to fast forward every time Gloria is on screen.

Just my opinion.

I agree with you. I have liked Sue in Brookside, The Royale Family but not in Corrie.
    There is just something about her I am not liking. Maybe it is just the character I don't like which goes to show what a good actress she is.
    I love Sylvia though. I also liked her in Doc Martin.
  • Options
    NoushNoush Posts: 4,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hahaha...I know what you mean...but I like her.....

The faces she pulls and she looks quite spiteful in her natural looks which makes her hard to take but I think she comes out with some right funny lines....

In her defence, she thought she nearly lost her only daughter in a fire so Kreepy Karl would be like a God to her.....just wait until she finds out....God alone knows what Dev, Stella, Jason etc are going to do to him.....I wish we could see soap villains tortured by their victims in soaps as this would give extreme satisfaction but then again it may give ideas and frustrate some of life's true victims.....gosh I hope Karl gets hurt gggrrrrrr!
  • Options
    Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An old scrag end with her stranger to a comb and shampoo hairstyle and raddled old face. She is never ending eating or drinking something in almost every scene as well. Perhaps it was written into her contract that she would get fed constantly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    An old scrag end with her stranger to a comb and shampoo hairstyle and raddled old face. She is never ending eating or drinking something in almost every scene as well. Perhaps it was written into her contract that she would get fed constantly.

Fine, fine comments Maria. More, please.
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do love Gloria personally, but I think she's a character we are meant to dislike. There's no doubt about it - Sue Johnstone is playing her brilliantly, I just think her character is meant to be judgmental, harsh and vindictive. I think some of her lines have been pretty funny. It'll be nice to see more of a softer side to her though - you can tell that she really cares about her family, but she doesn't know the right way to go about showing that she cares.

I love the entire family unit though - Stella, Eva and Glo are all brilliant I think!
  • Options
    Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just my opinion.

An opinion shared by me.
  • Options
    Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The script writers have got this one wrong in comparison to some of the brilliant older Corrie characters past and present....

Says it all really. Perhaps it shows that the writers are sometimes not as talented, individually or as a team, as we would like them to be. After all, they provide the content and they carry the blame. The actors can only use what material, and what directions, they are given.
  • Options
    ScreamingTree<3ScreamingTree<3 Posts: 4,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Says it all really. Perhaps it shows that the writers are sometimes not as talented, individually or as a team, as we would like them to be. After all, they provide the content and they carry the blame. The actors can only use what material, and what directions, they are given.

It could also be that her acting style doesn't suit the character.
  • Options
    john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blanche and Gloria are both very blunt and often rude. The difference is that Blanche was more often than not correct in what she said (although she did have a blind spot concerning Tracy), Gloria is almost always wrong in what she says so rather than enjoying her bluntness it just rubs me up the wrong way.
  • Options
    gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I imagine a lot of the problems with the character lie with the writing - Sue Johnson is a superb actress. I've just watched some early episodes of Brookside on Youtube and she's outstanding as Sheila Grant.
  • Options
    s.mouses.mouse Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    It's definitely the writing. Sue Johnstone is excellent but the character is atrocious! She became slightly more bearable when Stella was injured but on the whole she is terrible with no redeeming features!
  • Options
    tenchgirltenchgirl Posts: 11,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like her either.
  • Options
    David the WavidDavid the Wavid Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blanche and Gloria are both very blunt and often rude. The difference is that Blanche was more often than not correct in what she said (although she did have a blind spot concerning Tracy), Gloria is almost always wrong in what she says so rather than enjoying her bluntness it just rubs me up the wrong way.

Spot on. I haven't laughed at Gloria once.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Another difference is that I liked Blanche and looked forward to her comic interludes, whereas with Gloria, I want her accidentally to step out in front of an oncoming steamroller which crushes her but then reverses back over her to make sure. If, by any chance, she wasn't dead, and was fighting for her life, I would get Karl to go and visit her in hospital.
  • Options
    Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mo mouse wrote: »
    Another difference is that I liked Blanche and looked forward to her comic interludes, whereas with Gloria, I want her accidentally to step out in front of an oncoming steamroller which crushes her but then reverses back over her to make sure. If, by any chance, she wasn't dead, and was fighting for her life, I would get Karl to go and visit her in hospital.

Blame the ineptitude of the scriptwriters but give her due credit for trying to do her best with what they give her.

If, as you suggest, she ended up in hospital, any hospital, (excluding mid Staffs, which might not be a good idea), then send in Karl to cheer her up, send in Gail to flutter her to death, send in Deirdre to bore her, as she does to so many viewers, to death.

Even better, get some quality writers, and some quality writing, back on the team!
  • Options
    tenchgirltenchgirl Posts: 11,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blanche wasn't a freeloader Like glo, Gloria just comes across as biting the hand that feeds her & she's also got a mighty high opinion of herself as well.