Options

Not so Smooth!

up to the vocalup to the vocal Posts: 2,502
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Listening on Sky just now in the news junction between Steve Collins and Emma B there were what sounded like two completeley different news feeds going out both over each other. Is this what happens when you have one presenter in Salford and the other in London?
Then Emma B comes on ,,and did she say ''The Tymes from Ms Grace''? Oh dear.

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now Emma B says ''afternoon to you all''. Funny, I thought radio was a one to one medium. There are numerous programme controllers that would take a VERY dim view of that line. And these presenters on Smooth-a quasi national station are supposed to be the cream of the crop, the most experienced broadcasters are they??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    are you having a conversation with yourself on Digital Spy? Smoooooooooth.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smooth do seem to have that teething problem still regarding the news and adverts. I thought this would have been ironed out by now...

Does Heart and Capital have the same problem when they network?
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now Emma B says ''afternoon to you all''. Funny, I thought radio was a one to one medium. There are numerous programme controllers that would take a VERY dim view of that line. And these presenters on Smooth-a quasi national station are supposed to be the cream of the crop, the most experienced broadcasters are they??

It's more a case with Ms B that she's on the wrong GMG station.

They need to keep it real.
  • Options
    greatvoicegreatvoice Posts: 212
    Forum Member

I agree it is appalling, what you have highlighted here about the lack of attention to detail and poor presenter habits that are allowed, just demonstrates to my mind a complete lack of passion and clue less behaviour on behalf of the Smooth Management.

Although Smooth does have some talent , I would argue that the Rajar results would not alter one bit, if you replaced the “ Old Come Back Guard “ with less well known names , that could just do it, Derek Webster types for example, not really a name, but a solid professional. Do they really think any one is bothered about Bates and Goodyear, Jensen etc?. Much as they can do the job, the days of “ wow its that bloke on the radio “are long gone. I could go on, but if they want to haemorrhage cash , well that is there choice.

I also get annoyed with the one presenter on Smooth , who isn’t a “Brand Name” of any description and is mainly on off peak, who clearly needs a good coaching session in building an audience by being relatable and having content in his links and not JUST relying on mentioning texts and tweets in nearly every link……………..

How do they get away with it?............................. Now lets see what a hornets nest those comments disturb amongst the Smooth Fan Club, it could be so much better though as I’m sure if you are reading this you will agree. :D
  • Options
    Francis HFrancis H Posts: 469
    Forum Member
    She sounds as if she needs to clear her throat the whole time. If this is GMG management's idea of what sounds good on the radio, they shouldn't be employed in the industry at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    Simon Bates needs to join the "real world" and realise not all of us work 4-hour shift and spend the rest of the day sipping designer coffees watching men peer in skips and dreaming up stupid "sound of music" clues that none of us are interested in.
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    greatvoice wrote: »
    Although Smooth does have some talent , I would argue that the Rajar results would not alter one bit, if you replaced the “ Old Come Back Guard “ with less well known names , that could just do it, Derek Webster types for example, not really a name, but a solid professional. Do they really think any one is bothered about Bates and Goodyear, Jensen etc?. Much as they can do the job, the days of “ wow its that bloke on the radio “are long gone. I could go on, but if they want to haemorrhage cash , well that is there choice.

If that theory holds true why was Chris Tarrant chosen to stand in for Steve Wright on Radio 2 last week, when the "solid professionals" such as Alex Lester and Richard Allinson were available, and probably a lot cheaper?

Similarly Richard Madeley had no radio experience at all prior to April 2009 (when he deputised for Sarah Kennedy) - he was chosen as a stand-in for Chris Evans because he is a TV celebrity.

Radio 2 and Smooth are choosing these famous names because they boost the ratings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if Smooth will eventually creep in a Celebrity to the line-up? Time will tell...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SouthCity wrote: »
    If that theory holds true why was Chris Tarrant chosen to stand in for Steve Wright on Radio 2 last week, when the "solid professionals" such as Alex Lester and Richard Allinson were available, and probably a lot cheaper?

Similarly Richard Madeley had no radio experience at all prior to April 2009 (when he deputised for Sarah Kennedy) - he was chosen as a stand-in for Chris Evans because he is a TV celebrity.

Radio 2 and Smooth are choosing these famous names because they boost the ratings.

I would still argue, that this is just wasting cash. I am not saying let anyone on the air, but to have talent and be engaging you don’t have to be a celeb when it comes to radio. It makes no difference, particularly as people are listening to so called celebs, not looking at them on a TV show, look with your eyes, listen with your ears. As was said to me many years ago when I started in the industry “ they are not hanging on every word you say “. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    I wonder if Smooth will eventually creep in a Celebrity to the line-up? Time will tell...

Look what happened when Fiona Philips 'appeared' on Sunday afternoons. Utter disaster.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Look what happened when Fiona Philips 'appeared' on Sunday afternoons. Utter disaster.

Just like Davina McCall standing in for Ken Bruce on Radio 2 (August 2007) - sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Francis H wrote: »
    She sounds as if she needs to clear her throat the whole time. If this is GMG management's idea of what sounds good on the radio, they shouldn't be employed in the industry at all.

Surely rule no.1 in recruiting someone for radio is do they have a good/outstanding voice and ,,,can they relate to the audience. Oh dear.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would still argue, that this is just wasting cash. I am not saying let anyone on the air, but to have talent and be engaging you don’t have to be a celeb when it comes to radio. It makes no difference, particularly as people are listening to so called celebs, not looking at them on a TV show, look with your eyes, listen with your ears. As was said to me many years ago when I started in the industry “ they are not hanging on every word you say “. :D

Tarrant did 20years with Capital although he's does TV. He can engage with the listeners and knows his music. Richard Madeley is a very good stand-in for breakfast. Some celebs on Radio 2 have no idea. For Example Graham Norton and Alan Carr are given slots too entertain and not really music radio DJ's...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tarrant did 20years with Capital although he's does TV. He can engage with the listeners and knows his music. Richard Madeley is a very good stand-in for breakfast. Some celebs on Radio 2 have no idea. For Example Graham Norton and Alan Carr are given slots too entertain and not really music radio DJ's...

Tarrant may ;know his music' if he is allowed to have a hand in what he plays,,,but it sounded totally crass the other day when he opened the show with 'The Boys Are Back In Town; by Thin Lizzy (!),,and preceded to fade the song and talk all over it after just two minutes,with versre and major guitar parts in the background. What possible reason could there have been to cut this short as it was the first song in the hour??? Smacks of either someone who is so egotistical he can't wait to open the microphone,or extremely bad planning on behalf of the production team.
  • Options
    wckartistwckartist Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Similarly Richard Madeley had no radio experience at all prior to April 2009 (when he deputised for Sarah Kennedy) - .
    You obviously know nothing about his career to spout garbage like that!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wckartist wrote: »
    You obviously know nothing about his career to spout garbage like that!!

Madeley had a brief spell at BBC Radio Carlisle but that alone isn't enough to qualify him for a stint on the Radio 2 breakfast show. Perhaps I should have said virtually no experience.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Madeley
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Derek Webster types for example, not really a name, but a solid professional.

Totally agree, one of the most consistent presenters of the last 25 years!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Emma B is hardly a draw to Smooth's target audience though.

GMG have made some slip-ups in recent years when it comes to celeb presenters. Tarrant was awful, because they gave him creative freedom with his show and was networked on both Smooth and Real which didn't suit either station.

Yet, stick Tarrant on Radio 2 with a well established format and the magic of his delivery works well.

Fiona was just wrong because her tv delivery didn't suit the brand. (Yes, I know Fifi was on County Sound in the 80s, but only as a newsreader)

On the other hand, Bates is excellent and Pete Waterman's VT show was also a treat.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Did you ever listen to Tarrant on Smooth, where is he now in the smooth line up ? and what were the figures like ?..............
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madeley had a brief spell at BBC Radio Carlisle but that alone isn't enough to qualify him for a stint on the Radio 2 breakfast show. Perhaps I should have said virtually[/I] no experience.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Madeley

yeah, probably;):D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you ever listen to Tarrant on Smooth, where is he now in the smooth line up ? and what were the figures like ?..............

Worth adding that CT was only on Smooth London, West Midlands and East Midlands as Real took the show elsewhere.
  • Options
    david1956david1956 Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Smacks of either someone who is so egotistical he can't wait to open the microphone,or extremely bad planning on behalf of the production team.

A bit like Pick Of The Pops yesterday. My goodness. Tony did not have to face the songs from 1962. They were short enough surely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tarrant may ;know his music' if he is allowed to have a hand in what he plays,,,but it sounded totally crass the other day when he opened the show with 'The Boys Are Back In Town; by Thin Lizzy (!),,and preceded to fade the song and talk all over it after just two minutes,with versre and major guitar parts in the background. What possible reason could there have been to cut this short as it was the first song in the hour??? Smacks of either someone who is so egotistical he can't wait to open the microphone,or extremely bad planning on behalf of the production team.

He's allowed to play his choice of music, alongside the playlist...
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If Richard Lester were to dep on a daytime show, who could fill his show through the night? He's made that his own and would be a hard act to follow.