Hot coffee burn

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
Forum Member
✭✭
Ouch.

Lay in bed with iPad and just made coffee waiting to watch the London Marathon .

Stupid idiot that I am I sat up to quick and spilt the coffee all over my torso. The pain was to much.

Anyway I have soaked a cloth in cold water, lay it on my stomach and got a bag of peas on top of cloth. Thing is the heat is indescribable and it's drying the cloth and the relief of the frozen peas is only lasting a few minutes.

What more can I do? Family out till lunch at sports things.

Lay down flat so hard to type.

Comments

• potatolegspotatolegs Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    Quinnx3 wrote: »
    Ouch.

Lay in bed with iPad and just made coffee waiting to watch the London Marathon .

Stupid idiot that I am I sat up to quick and spilt the coffee all over my torso. The pain was to much.

Anyway I have soaked a cloth in cold water, lay it on my stomach and got a bag of peas on top of cloth. Thing is the heat is indescribable and it's drying the cloth and the relief of the frozen peas is only lasting a few minutes.

What more can I do? Family out till lunch at sports things.

Lay down flat so hard to type.

I thought you had to continually run cold water on the burn - not just a cloth...

Call NHS direct now who will discuss if you need to go to A&E.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heading for phone now. Pain is staggering when the cloth is off, even to re run it under cold water. The peas are almost cooked. :eek:
  • potatolegspotatolegs Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    Quinnx3 wrote: »
    Heading for phone now. Pain is staggering when the cloth is off, even to re run it under cold water. The peas are almost cooked. :eek:

Poor thing..

Do you have a massive scald mark on your torso now?

Is it blistering??

Keep up posted..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You need to go to the hospital, I done the same thing (stupidly with a whole teapot, it slid off the side) It needs special dressing and medical attention, they also got burn cream which takes away the pain and calms the burning. I honestly wouldnt leave it.
  • NoFussNoFrillsNoFussNoFrills Posts: 4,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds so painful. Get well & pain free soon.
  • icic Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do people feel they have to post their injuries rather than being normal and sensible and get the right advice from professionals ?
  • artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Cus they would rather have sympathy from people they don't know. Much like on Facebook really :rolleyes:
  • patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once poured a up of coffee straight from the machine onto my foot at a petrol station. I roared :o Was wearing running shoes which were basically just a cloth web. I went to a GP's surgery and she put on some cream with silver or gold in it and dressed it. Glad I did - it was fine the next day. It sounds like yours might need a dressing. Scalds hurt!
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The good news is that as an adult it is unlikely to be serious, it's always worth remembering though that on a young child this would not be the case and it could be very serious leaving them scarred for life.

Sorry for the lecture but I often see adults who are careless with hot drinks around young children, they are usually not irresponsible they just don't realise. (Not getting at the OP, they were on their own).
  • liblobliblob Posts: 21,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    The good news is that as an adult it is unlikely to be serious, it's always worth remembering though that on a young child this would not be the case and it could be very serious leaving them scarred for life.

Sorry for the lecture but I often see adults who are careless with hot drinks around young children, they are usually not irresponsible they just don't realise. (Not getting at the OP, they were on their own).
    I see many toddlers in theatre having burns treated from cups of tea or coffee. Accidents that can so easily happen but so easily avoided.