If Doctor Who had not gone on hiatus in 1989...?

dayne14dayne14 Posts: 261
Forum Member
If Doctor Who had not gone on hiatus in 1989, it got me thinking, who and how many actors would have concieveably played the time lord? Would Paul Mcgann, Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant etc. have ever taken the lead? I still forsee Mcgann and Tennant but not CE somehow.

And who would have been him during the 1990's? I see Robson Green as an outside shot, not based on him now, but given his popularity during his Casualty and more so Soldier Soldier days...? I think today we would now be on the 14th or 15th incarnation realistically

Interested to know people's thoughts?

Comments

• jxbrennajxbrenna Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think we still would have Chris David and Matt but they would be later dr's if that makes sense :)
  • Xmas_TrenzaloreXmas_Trenzalore Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure about Paul McGann, but I agree Eccleston probably wouldn't have been the Doctor.

His version of the Doctor was very stripped down in terms of Alien-ness and eccentricities, and the darker more brooding side was brought to the fore-front.

If he did play the Doctor without the gap, and without the Time War, he certainly would have been a very different version of the Doctor.

I reckon McCoy would have done four or five years at most, leaving about 22 years. Following the four year average, that would be another five doctors after McCoy.

Hard to say who. The universe hangs by such a delicate thread of coincidences its impossible to predict the outcome unless you're a Time Lord. Every decision creates ripples.

But I bet Richard E Grant would have had a shot at it. He seemed eager.
  • amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    Don't forget Richard Griffiths, of course. He's often spoken of as being in the frame for the Eighth Doctor.
  • dayne14dayne14 Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    Richard Griffiths! Really? I never knew that. And then of course there's the added question of whether we'd have had RTD and SM as showrunners. For my money the answer is yes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dayne14 wrote: »
    Richard Griffiths! Really? I never knew that. And then of course there's the added question of whether we'd have had RTD and SM as showrunners. For my money the answer is yes.

That's the question, who would have taken on the Producer role. The show was something of a poison chalice at the time, and JNT was basically trapped in the role. He couldn't leave because no one wanted the job.

The wonderful thing about RTD is that he was a massive fan of the show, along with most of the team that brought it back. It's difficult to see where such writers and production staff would have come from at the time.
  • RozesRozes Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    It's a bit of an irrelevant question really. It it had carried on JNT would have been made to stay longer (as no one else wanted to take on the programme and the BBC was embarrassed by it and saw JNT as a surefire way of killing it) so we would have ended up with more seasons of camp drivel. The main point is by 1989 hardly anyone was watching it (and by this I mean the general public not the fans) so it couldn't really have carried on. There was no justification. It just would have carried on dying a slow death. In the long term the 1989 cancellation was probably the best thing that could have happened to the programme. It came back in the 21st century (I'm ignoring the American TV movie!) totally rebooted and refreshed to a whole new audience thus probably ensuring it's future for the next 20 years. Most dramas have a shelf life and Doctor Who met it's own in 1989. Will it happen again. Almost certainly yes!
    Forum Member
    It may be an irrelevent question, but it's always fun to speculate. And besides the world turns in funny ways, so who knows maybe DW would've found a way to survive in 1990.
  • RooksRooks Posts: 9,100
    Forum Member

Unlikely. New Who owes much to the New Adventures range of books that started in the early 90s and they would not have existed if the series had continued. Mark Gatiss, Matt Jones, Paul Cornell, Gareth Roberts and even RTD himself first cut their Doctor Who teeth in the New Adventures. The book series was the ultimate outlet for professional fans to put their stamp on Doctor Who and it really helped to build the community of professionals that we now know as contributors to the Doctor Who team.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it hadn't gone on hiatus, JNT would have stayed with it and the way his casting ideas were going, I think the show would have continued, with very short Doctor tenures, until the end of the 13 incarnation and then he would have been killed off.

You may well have had some really odd Doctor choices from the rather lacklustre pool of TV actors that were around at that time. I don't think the likes of McGann, Eccleston, Tennant et al would have ever considered the role, which, imo would have been seen as simply a bit of a joke kids programme.
    Forum Member
    In respect of JNT and the casting choices - I know that the show's demise was under him, but I also subscribe to an unual theory. In so much as did the demise of Who start in the latter years of Tom Baker? I.e. Doctor Who is always a show that changes, and by doing 7 years did Baker outstay his welcome by a season or two, by which point the rot was allowed to set in for later seasons.

Off topic I know, but there you go.
  • Simon_FostonSimon_Foston Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    Rozes wrote: »
    Most dramas have a shelf life and Doctor Who met it's own in 1989. Will it happen again. Almost certainly yes!

Not necessarily, if the BBC continues to invest talent, money and publicity in the series the way they've been doing since the revival. If some executives who'd rather make high-brow literary adaptations, talent shows or tedious garbage with Alan Yentob decide that they would rather sabotage it, history will indeed repeat itself.
    Forum Member
    Not necessarily, if the BBC continues to invest talent, money and publicity in the series the way they've been doing since the revival. If some executives who'd rather make high-brow literary adaptations, talent shows or tedious garbage with Alan Yentob decide that they would rather sabotage it, history will indeed repeat itself.

Quite agree, if the shelf life comment was true, Eastenders, Casualty etc would have been over years ago!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 389
    Forum Member
    If it continued the show would have been axed. It was a sinking ship, they needed that break to revitalise Doctor Who.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Everything needs a rest once in a while. Doctor Who has earned enough cultural cachet that there will always be somebody interested in picking it up later. He's earned his place in the British pantheon along with King Arthur, Robin Hood and Sherlock Holmes.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In respect of JNT and the casting choices - I know that the show's demise was under him, but I also subscribe to an unual theory. In so much as did the demise of Who start in the latter years of Tom Baker? I.e. Doctor Who is always a show that changes, and by doing 7 years did Baker outstay his welcome by a season or two, by which point the rot was allowed to set in for later seasons.

Off topic I know, but there you go.

Can't really agree with that. I think when Peter Davison took over, the show was refreshed and in Season 19 there was a nice mix of original story lines and old adversaries, pretty much like we have at the moment.

Unfortunately the success of Earthshock and the 20th anniversary meant JNT probably pandered to the fan's a bit too much and though Season 20 wasn't an awful Season by any means, in terms of originality it probably wasn't as good. Season 21 was better in that regard but it still pandered a lot to the show's history. IMO, In terms of trying to find the seeds for the show's demise, it was probably from this point onwards.

The heavy reliance on the show's history, a Doctor at the end of the Season that should never have happened and all the 6th Doctor related problems hence forth which we've discussed endlessly on here. All these plus the hiatus in 85 probably led to what happened in '89.
    I reckon McCoy would have done four or five years at most, leaving about 22 years. Following the four year average, that would be another five doctors after McCoy.

I'm open to correction but I thought McCoy has gone on record to say he would have left in Season 27 had it gone ahead.

As for the main question, I don't regard it as a hiatus, I associate that word more with what happened in 1985. Whatever you call it, I think unless the whole production team had been replaced and the BBC's attitude towards it changed, the programme would have been axed sooner or later. I can't see it would have gotten any better.

Maybe with a new production team, it could have been rescued but I think I can concur with other posters that a rest certainly did it a favour and it's came back stronger as a result.

:)
  • ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Richard Griffiths (who had also been a contender for the Fifth Doctor) was being looked at to take over from McCoy towards the end of Season 27 had the show continued so we'd have probably got...

Season 27 (1990) - McCoy as the 7th Doctor, a new companion along the lines of Lady Christina from POTD, Ace leaving (possibly staying on Gallifrey) and Richard Griffiths taking over at the latest half way through the season's last story

Seasons 28&29 (1991-2) - Griffiths as the 8th Doctor with the aforementioned new companion.

Season 30 --- that's a toughie .... how would we have celebrated the 30th anniversary year? Certainly not with Dimensions In Time that's for sure, though let's not forget that Tom came back for that one and Jon Pertwee was still alive, so maybe we'd have got...

"The Six Doctors" starring Richard Griffiths, Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy?

Following that, I picture a series of feature length christmas specials starring Robert Lindsay and later Bill Nighy before being cancelled in 1999.

"... a TVMovie for the 40th anniversary in 2003 starring Hugh Grant was unsuccesful and has never been repeated due to popular demand" :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    If you read The Life and Scandalous Times of John Nathan-Turner, and then think as to what has recently been revealed with other scandalous goings-on at the beeb, it dosen't take Hercule Poirot to figure out that a certain person could very well have known where all the skeletons were.

While it's fun to speculate 'what if', I don't think JN-T would ever have left the producership of Doctor Who.

Doesn't anyone else think that he publicly said that he wanted to leave, yet nobody wanted the role at the time? Nobody believed that you could make Doctor Who into something, with the history it had? Also strange that the minute that he passed away, suddenly it was full throttle on the re-boot?

Strange? Maybe not ;D
  • Xmas_TrenzaloreXmas_Trenzalore Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm open to correction but I thought McCoy has gone on record to say he would have left in Season 27 had it gone ahead. )
    OK, 23 years, but it still averages out to about the same.

Just an estimate though, since, as improbable as it may be, its possible one Doctor just stayed for the entire 23 year gap.

Damn that charismatic hypothetical son of a gun!
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK, 23 years, but it still averages out to about the same.

Just an estimate though, since, as improbable as it may be, its possible one Doctor just stayed for the entire 23 year gap.

Damn that charismatic hypothetical son of a gun!

I remember even before the TV Movie, there were rumours going about who should play The Doctor in the TV Movie. There were all sorts of names banded about, David Hasselhoff being one of them.

I remember being annoyed at the time because McCoy wasn't among the names mentioned and it as far as I could see at the time he was still The Doctor, even some two or three years on. That's why I'm glad in one way that he came back and did the TV Movie, because that acknowledged he still had been The Doctor all that time between 89-96.

:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 389
    Forum Member
    I just don't agree with JNT's reign as producer, after Davison the series went into paralytic shock. It didn't progress forward into an even better show. It just gradually lost its way. I think he should have listened to his team a bit more. He tried to run the show on his own practically and failed. He's even gone on record to say he doesn't care about the scripts. Nowadays, the show runners write the scripts along with other guest writers. I think he was completely incompatible.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    Christopher Lillicrap would have been the 8th Doctor, and the show would have been moved to Tuesday lunchtime, just after Pebble Mill.
  • chattswhochattswho Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    IMO if the show had have continued i could see either rowan atkinson or richard e grant (probably based on their children in need roles all those years ago- i thought they were both quite good TBH & had that doctorish way about them especially atkinson IMO), hopefully followed then by paul mcgann, CE, DT & MS.
    Forum Member
    1milescarf wrote: »
    If you read The Life and Scandalous Times of John Nathan-Turner, and then think as to what has recently been revealed with other scandalous goings-on at the beeb, it dosen't take Hercule Poirot to figure out that a certain person could very well have known where all the skeletons were.

While it's fun to speculate 'what if', I don't think JN-T would ever have left the producership of Doctor Who.

Doesn't anyone else think that he publicly said that he wanted to leave, yet nobody wanted the role at the time? Nobody believed that you could make Doctor Who into something, with the history it had? Also strange that the minute that he passed away, suddenly it was full throttle on the re-boot?

Strange? Maybe not ;D

Surely we're not suggesting that Jimmy Savile was in line for Doctor Who??? :o That would've have been a horrific casting decision, let alone the scandals a quarter century later!

In terms of JNT, he confuses me, not least because I don't know an awful lot about him. However, maybe a reboot was thought possible more after his death, as perhaps before hand he would have been rater obstructive?! I get this impression that he treated DW as his property, rather than the BBC's and the public's, and therefore thought he could do whatever he liked.
  • comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In retrospect it was good it was axed. Came back stronger.

Interesting to hear some of 'The Lost Stories' on audio.

I would like to have seen Raine as a companion to 7. Also I like Platt's Lungbarrow so would like to have seen that Cartmel thing pan out. The Doc's past etc
  • Simon_FostonSimon_Foston Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    comedyfish wrote: »
    In retrospect it was good it was axed. Came back stronger.

Interesting to hear some of 'The Lost Stories' on audio.

I would like to have seen Raine as a companion to 7. Also I like Platt's Lungbarrow so would like to have seen that Cartmel thing pan out. The Doc's past etc

I have rather different feelings about the Cartmel Masterplan and Lungbarrow so I'm quite glad that John Nathan-Turner vetoed televising it. I think it was the last good decision that he made.