Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is it any good for skin or hair?

Comments

• Options
    morecowbellmorecowbell Posts: 1,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. Very moisturising and nourishing. I haven't used it on my skin much but use it all the time on hair as a deep treatment overnight or as a shining pomade. Just don't use a lot if you use it as a styling pomade as it can make your hair look greasy obviously and if you have light coloured hair like me it can make it look a little darker temporarily.

Melt some up in a Bain Marie and cover your hair in the melted hot oil. Protect with a towel or cling film. Wash out in morning. Magic stuff.
  • Options
    MoJo-GirlMoJo-Girl Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bloomin' love coconut oil!

Without being too gross, I broke my big toe about 3 years ago and the nail went black. It then fell off and has been growing back a very horrible colour (a greeny yellowy black - vile). I went to the doctor and she said it was because I had damaged the nail bed and it would "clear up soon."

It didn't.

Having tried so many over the counter toe remedies, I was ready to give up....and then I discovered coconut oil! Every night I put a dollop of it on my nail and leave it to soak in. I've been doing that for about a week and already I can see a HUGE difference!

It's witchcraft, but in a good way!
  • Options
    JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MoJo-Girl wrote: »
    I bloomin' love coconut oil!

Without being too gross, I broke my big toe about 3 years ago and the nail went black. It then fell off and has been growing back a very horrible colour (a greeny yellowy black - vile). I went to the doctor and she said it was because I had damaged the nail bed and it would "clear up soon."

It didn't.

Having tried so many over the counter toe remedies, I was ready to give up....and then I discovered coconut oil! Every night I put a dollop of it on my nail and leave it to soak in. I've been doing that for about a week and already I can see a HUGE difference!

It's witchcraft, but in a good way!

It is amazing stuff. Meant to be really good for scarring and wound-healing. Its anti-viral and anti-fungal.
  • Options
    damianswifedamianswife Posts: 1,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is absolutely brilliant for the treatment of eczema and safe to use on tiny baby skin too.
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great for shaving legs - leaves them moisturised and smelling lovely!

My husband got sunburnt on his neck yesterday and it helped that too.

I wished I'd discovered it years ago when my son had bad eczema.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    great too for erotic massages:)
  • Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've used it for years. My skin used to be dry to the point of flaking, but that's all stopped now.

You can keep all your expensive potions and creams, I'll stick with what works for a fraction of the price.
  • Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, another thing. Your eyelashes will love a swipe of coconut oil before bed :)
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's good for teeth whitening too.
  • Options
    JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    great too for erotic massages:)

Oooo never thought of it for that. ;-)
  • Options
    Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    It's great for hair. I recommend leaving it on overnight with cling film to cover it and a towel over your pillow. I like it in skin products and love the summery smell. I bought some 40% off coconut body butter from the Body Shop. It smells divine! Boots do a cheaper coconut and almond oil body butter. I also got a Boots Extracts coconut body scrub made with a lot of natural and fair trade ingredients. Boots sell plain coconut oil in a jar which is pretty cheap. It's good for nails as well as your hair. People have used coconut oil on hair for centuries. Also a couple of drops of ylang ylang essential oil in the coconut oil on your hair will smell wonderful. Ylang ylang is said to be good for your hair and adds to shine. Avoid getting essential oils near or in your eyes.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Is it? I've never heard of that.
  • Options
    floozie_21floozie_21 Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pink_Smurf wrote: »
    Is it? I've never heard of that.

Yes, look up 'oil pulling' - I haven't tried it yet but I might give it a go and see if it actually works!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    floozie_21 wrote: »
    Yes, look up 'oil pulling' - I haven't tried it yet but I might give it a go and see if it actually works!

Thanks. I looked it up and was amazed! I might try that myself. I have fairly good teeth with only 2 fillings both at the front and two crowns with one other stained tooth but that's all that's wrong with my teeth at 47 years old. I really had never heard of oil pulling. I'll have a go with coconut oil :)
  • Options
    CassiniCassini Posts: 2,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you all. You have managed to convince me to get some.
  • Options
    Scotty2012Scotty2012 Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coconut oil is incredibly versatile. It just works. My advice Is to make sure you buy high quality coconut oil (raw, organic, cold pressed) this is very important.

Examples include:

TIANA Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
    Lucy Bee Extra Virgin Raw Coconut Oil
    Natures Way Coconut Oil
    Biona Organic Raw Virgin Coconut Oil

If you buy a cheap coconut oil you will in fact be buying oil that has been heavily processed, usually using high heat. This method of extraction destroys the nutrition and healing properties.
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are never too old to learn something new.:)

I opened this thread and was interested so googled 'coconut oil'.
    Since then I've ordered a book and a supply of c/o from Amazon.
    I've learned about oil pulling and can't wait to give it a try.

Thanks OP.
    This old dog can and will learn new tricks.:D

I'll report back next month (if anyone is interested).
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JJ75 wrote: »
    Oooo never thought of it for that. ;-)

Be a bit careful with that! Certain delicate parts can be sensitive to it. I've heard.
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cassini wrote: »
    Is it any good for skin or hair?

It's good for skin, hair, nails, cooking and the dog :D
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I started oil pulling yesterday. Tastes rank (not keen on coconut!) but it seems to have good reviews.

Im only two days in but i swear i can see a small difference already. Only problem im having is not swallowing! Im yet to manage the full 20 minutes because for me swallowing isnt something i can control. After about ten minutes its all i can think of! I have to tip my head forward and do mini swallows trying to make sure i dont swallow any oil!
  • Options
    Lin4237Lin4237 Posts: 304
    Forum Member

Problem is having to swill around in your mouth for 20 mins - I normally end up swallowing!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pink_Smurf wrote: »
    Thanks. I looked it up and was amazed! I might try that myself. I have fairly good teeth with only 2 fillings both at the front and two crowns with one other stained tooth but that's all that's wrong with my teeth at 47 years old. I really had never heard of oil pulling. I'll have a go with coconut oil :)

After swirling swishing it about in your mouth do not spit it down it into your sink. Use your bin or you will have a blockage.
  • Options
    SoomacdooSoomacdoo Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member
    If you use coconut oil as an overnight hair treatment, do you just shampoo and condition the next morning as normal?
  • Options
    CassiniCassini Posts: 2,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Update.....

I purchased a small amount of organic coconut oil from eBay and have to say it seems to have definitely helped my hair which is very fine a usually bit frizzy. I massage a pea sized amount in to my hair and scalp and it definitely gets rid of the frizzy fine effect.

It does not actually smell much of coconut.

I gave also rubbed it into skin and soles of feet and combined with filing away hard skin on my feet it seems to be having a good result.

I have yet to try any of the other suggestions.;-)
  • Options
    morecowbellmorecowbell Posts: 1,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soomacdoo wrote: »
    If you use coconut oil as an overnight hair treatment, do you just shampoo and condition the next morning as normal?

Yup. You'll believe it will never come out. But it does!

See what condition it leaves your hair in. You may find that you don't need to condition it anyway.