M1 Southbound & North Circular to Ealing: How bad is it in rush hour?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I need to be in Ealing at 9am on a weekday morning. I will be taking the M1, then the North Circ A406 westbound to Ealing Broadway. Google maps says without traffic it will take 30 minutes.

If there's anyone here who uses that route, or part of it, in rush hour: how bad is it? How much time should I allow?

Comments

• smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    What's wrong with public transport?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Public transport is twice the cost of the petrol and will take at least 90 minutes.
  • fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd add an hour onto the Google estimate to be honest - you might get there a wee bit early, but better that than being late?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Sometimes it'll say how long it takes in traffic, i think it tells you on the AA Route planner, I'd give 20 minutes for traffic in any circumstance though
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd add an hour onto the Google estimate to be honest - you might get there a wee bit early, but better that than being late?
    Sometimes it'll say how long it takes in traffic, i think it tells you on the AA Route planner, I'd give 20 minutes for traffic in any circumstance though

Thank you both. Are your estimates based on knowing the route or general rules of thumb for traffic?

Edit: Just tried the AA one, I couldn't see anything about time in traffic :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd add 30 minutes just for the Hanger Lane Gyratory.
  • MigsterMigster Posts: 4,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I drive round the North Circ from near the A1 to as far as Hanger Lane. I normally get to Hanger Lane by 8am and the traffic isn't too bad - it's just a bit stop/start, but you tend to keep moving. There is normally a queue at the flyover near Brent Cross and this is where you will join the road. It's not too bad for me as I'm already on the North Circ - no idea what it's like if you are trying to join (I think it's just a slip road, but it's not easy to join due to all the traffic on the N Circ).

It probably takes me 20 - 30 mins to get to Hanger Lane, so the 30 mins from Google is way too optimistic to get to Ealing. You probably want to allow yourself an hour to be on the safe side. I don't drive the last part of the North Circ you'll need, but it is supposed to be quite bad as it goes down to two lanes, but I think you can dart off to the right and take the back roads (I've been told the best way is to actually go west on the A40 and then take a left into Lynwood Rd and work your way down from there - look on Google maps).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, really helpful info :)