Options

School governor?

frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
Forum Member
Two questions really:

1) Anyone here a school governor and if so, is it something you enjoy doing?

2)If you're a parent of school aged children, do you know who your school Governors are and what they do?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was a Parent Governor at my children's school and yes I did enjoy it but to do that it is all about being involved and going to school to help when needed.
    All School Governors are asked to attend meetings when parents can question what is going on and what the Governors are doing (or not).
    Get involved and you will see the school and the teachers from a new angle. I was amazed how some teachers seem to age in one term let alone one year. They do a fine job in most cases.
    I would spend hours listening to the children read as there was just not enough time for the teachers to do this.
    The things young children say will give you the Screaming Twinges as they have no problem repeating what their parents say so be warned.
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a governor - I do enjoy it, the only downside for me is the official training which is always over-wordy. I enjoy the school meetings, and it's a good way of finding out what's going on in the school!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm already part of the PTA and volunteer to help out one afternoon a week in a classroom, so already do a little bit.

My concern is the over wordy bit as you say Deb Arkle! I've seen a copy of governors meeting mins and it seems a lot of gobbledegook and code words!
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been a school governor for the last 5 years at a primary school. It is significantly different from PTA.

Most PTA I have seen seems to deal with volunteering, fund raising and generally helping out. The role of the governors is to ensure the school is run appropriately.

All the other governors from other schools I have spoken to are set out in a similar manner to ours. There will be one part that deals with how the government guidelines, curriculum, teaching standards, school policies, etc are implemented

The other parts deals with the building, budget, legal, HR, etc. Everything required to keep the school running. This will vary for academy schools where the school has a lot more responsibility for its own budget and facilities maintenance.

Thanks to Ofsted, yes there is a lot of paperwork (especially School Development Plan and policies) but that is fine and helps improve quality. Lots of auditing and documenting evidence. And you soon get used to the gobbledegook, if you are not sure then ask, we all started knowing very little.

Time wise, I spend a couple of hours a month and/or the odd day or half day. I try and get in a for a full day of observation every term if possible. Not judging the teachers performance (that is not the role of governors) but how the kids are getting on in general, how the lessons go, generally what the atmosphere is like, getting a feel for processes, etc One thing I would say and is try and avoid observing your own kids lessons.

There is lots of training available starting with an introduction course which I advise waiting 3 to 6 months to do. The lots of course in different aspects depending on what responsibilities you take on.

I find it enjoyable and get on well with the other governors. I know that a lot of schools have problems recruiting enough governors so if you are interested I would say go for it, worst case you don't like and can resign.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks C4RV that's quite helpful. How do new governors deal with the responsibility that comes with the job until they find their feet? It's almost like I want to be part of the governing body as a "helper" and see how it goes before I assume the responsibility IYSWIM!
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks C4RV that's quite helpful. How do new governors deal with the responsibility that comes with the job until they find their feet? It's almost like I want to be part of the governing body as a "helper" and see how it goes before I assume the responsibility IYSWIM!

I was invited to sit in a meeting before making my mind up given a 10 page document written by other governors explaining what to expect and FAQ including a list of acronyms. Once I had started I was assigned a 'mentor' governors who helped me through the first couple of meetings and visits. I now have a new governor that I am now mentoring (god help them, lol).
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was a school governor for a few years at one of my daughters schools, the main problem I found was finding the time.

Not to attend the meetings, that's just an evening or maybe two a month, but with every Governor having a responsibility for a certain aspect you need to generate reports, have meetings with staff and visit the school once or twice a month.

With my work and my children already taking up quite a lot of my time it was very hard to cram everything in. I know people do manage it, but the vast majority of the Governors were retired*, part timers or ladies-who-lunch who didn't have to work anyway.

It was however very interesting, particularly as a Parent Governor, because I found out so many things that are withheld from the general public and especially parents.

Sadly I felt that there was already a long standing power block formed before I joined, and I could do little to change the course of things.

*retired being the largest share