Options

Anxiety - do you "get" it?

frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
Forum Member
Anxiety (and depression) comes up quite a bit on DS and I wondered how many on here "get" it.

My anxiety stops me doing certain things mainly travel related. For example, I could not face a 4hr journey on the M1 over the Xmas period so Mr Python took the mini pythons to see his family on his own whilst I stayed at home for 5 days on my own. I cried my eyes out when they left as have never been apart from the mini pythons before, but the alternative was a risk of my having a nervous breakdown during the journey and I didn't want my kids to see me like that. On a previous journey I felt like opening the car door to jump out the anxiety was that bad, obviously not a good idea at 70mph.

Some would suggest that I should face my fears and do it anyway. Believe me I have tried and it does not work for me at present. My family and friends don't understand and feel I should "pull myself together". I am on meds for it (Citalopram) have had 2 lots of counselling, 2 lots of CBT, hypnotherapy and it's only now I'm receiving long term psychotherapy that I finally feel I'm making progress. [The last lot of CBT the therapist said was pointless as I wasn't ready for it, hence the move to psychotherapy.]

So, do you have anxiety? What are your experiences - do you feel facing the fear helps? Do you feel people understand and are supportive, or dismissive? Does pressure from others help in any way to make you face the fear or does it make you worse?

Comments

• Options
    leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anxiety (and depression) comes up quite a bit on DS and I wondered how many on here "get" it.

My anxiety stops me doing certain things mainly travel related. For example, I could not face a 4hr journey on the M1 over the Xmas period so Mr Python took the mini pythons to see his family on his own whilst I stayed at home for 5 days on my own. I cried my eyes out when they left as have never been apart from the mini pythons before, but the alternative was a risk of my having a nervous breakdown during the journey and I didn't want my kids to see me like that. On a previous journey I felt like opening the car door to jump out the anxiety was that bad, obviously not a good idea at 70mph.

Some would suggest that I should face my fears and do it anyway. Believe me I have tried and it does not work for me at present. My family and friends don't understand and feel I should "pull myself together". I am on meds for it (Citalopram) have had 2 lots of counselling, 2 lots of CBT, hypnotherapy and it's only now I'm receiving long term psychotherapy that I finally feel I'm making progress. [The last lot of CBT the therapist said was pointless as I wasn't ready for it, hence the move to psychotherapy.]

So, do you have anxiety? What are your experiences - do you feel facing the fear helps? Do you feel people understand and are supportive, or dismissive? Does pressure from others help in any way to make you face the fear or does it make you worse?
    I have always had a low opinion of myself and i am extremely shy. I feel very uncomfortable about being in public situations. If i have appointments i find myself working out the route where there is minimal contact with the public going down backstreet alleys to get there. It got to me so much that i attempted self harm a few times late 2002/early 2003. Coincidentaly is running the same this year with the last attempt being on friday 21 february 2003. I have been a medication since but i have become that used to them they dont seem to be working. There seems to be those who take great pleasure in feeding of those who are anxious by deriding those who the see as being weak.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had such a problem in the past. I was taking antidepressants a couple of years ago. I had quite a lot of trouble (anxiety, really) with certain things before that. Even making a certain phonecall, such as calling to apply for a job or make an enquiry, made me unbelievably nervous for a long time before doing it.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I definitely get it - but I'm ok at the moment. My anxiety shows itself differently to yours.

I'm sad that you spent 5 days alone over Christmas without the little 'uns. Couldn't his family have come to you instead?
  • Options
    FaithyHFaithyH Posts: 2,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do get panic attacks. About once a month or so and I have to do stuff and talk myself through them. I feel like I want to rip my own skin off. I rush outside to breathe. I get people to keep talking to me talk talk talk. Anything to shift focus from how I am feeling. I feel for anyone who gets them. Mine started after a close friend committed suicide and I didn't get there in time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Hi

I have problems in certain social situations. I'm ok if I can stay quiet, but if for any reason I have to be / am made to be the centre of attention in a group situation I clam up totally, struggle to get any words out, go bright red, and will literally drip with sweat.
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    I often feel anxious but prefer to keep it to myself - I'm pretty good at that. It (anxiety) affects me in that I struggle to eat - each mouthful must be forced down and also I struggle to breathe - I have to gasp to be able to take air down. People at work think I'm coughing.

But the cause of the anxiety is beyond my control so I work to control the attacks and I do succeed most times.
  • Options
    emily67emily67 Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    yep!. some days i can't move with anxiety.

i've had days when i've refused to eat because of it

usually, when it happens, it's really extreme and over something stupid.

it happened to me last week on a forum i was on and 1 of the moderators their was really understanding (the same person who actually triggered it for me)

not much understanding in the real world though, as it were

when i get anxious, i tend to focus on what i'm anxious about until i get the result i'm looking for (i know it's bad, but coping methods fail me usually)
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think that facing the fear helps necessarily. I don't think other people can understand it if they've never experienced it, unfortunately. They think they're helping by telling you to pull yourself together, but it doesn't help in the slightest - in fact, it's counter-productive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    I don't think that facing the fear helps necessarily. I don't think other people can understand it if they've never experienced it, unfortunately. They think they're helping by telling you to pull yourself together, but it doesn't help in the slightest - in fact, it's counter-productive.

So very true. The pressure just builds up then. It's like telling someone with depression to "get over it" (I've had people tell me this before, but then I'd tell them to get f****d in retaliation).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tip: when you can't breathe or feel you can't breathe . GARGLE. As you gargle the water moistens your mouth and when you swallow (particularly if it is a cold drink) you can feel it go down your gullet and into your stomach. This reminds you that you are getting fluid/so obviously you can breathe. It helps me a lot.
    I get it, only had it a couple of times to the point where it feels like im about to pass out though.

The light headed feeling like I am actually going to pass out is horrible, frightening.
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get it, only had it a couple of times to the point where it feels like im about to pass out though.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had it for a few years (after quitting cannabis) so I 'get' it. It stopped me doing what I wanted to do (or pretty much anything) in that period

I also know that sitting around moaning about it or taking drugs to mask it won't solve anything. Get out, exercise, do whatever you need to give to give yourself confidence and you'll beat it. I haven't felt any anxiety for about 10 years
  • Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FaithyH wrote: »
    Tip: when you can't breathe or feel you can't breathe . GARGLE. As you gargle the water moistens your mouth and when you swallow (particularly if it is a cold drink) you can feel it go down your gullet and into your stomach. This reminds you that you are getting fluid/so obviously you can breathe. It helps me a lot.

The light headed feeling like I am actually going to pass out is horrible, frightening.

Thanks Faithy, will try to remember that :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joni M wrote: »
    Thanks Faithy, will try to remember that :)

You're welcome it really works for me. Also gargling makes me burp which removes that "full up can't breathe uncomfy" feeling at the top of your stomach, throat.
    maurice45 wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip :)

You're welcome Maurice :) I don't know if it works for everyone. But I do know everyone I have given the the info too it worked for. Plus sometimes I use Zero coke or a fizzy drink. Makes you burp and feels like you are clearing your airway even quicker. Gets rid of the "blocked" feeling from bad indigestion and attacks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FaithyH wrote: »

Thanks for the tip :)
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    I'm about to have my last CBT appointment for general anxiety disorder

To be honest I thought everyone worried etc as much as me I didn't realise I was over anxious

The CBT wasn't pleasant and I didn't enjoy a lot if the things I was asked to do

But it's helped
  • Options
    Stormwave UKStormwave UK Posts: 5,088
    Forum Member
    CBT does work, but it requires a massive amount of effort on your part.
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    CBT does work, but it requires a massive amount of effort on your part.

It really did!
    But the effort was worth it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shmisk wrote: »
    I'm about to have my last CBT appointment for general anxiety disorder

To be honest I thought everyone worried etc as much as me I didn't realise I was over anxious

The CBT wasn't pleasant and I didn't enjoy a lot if the things I was asked to do

But it's helped

Oh bugger, I've been resistant to considering it, am scared again now..... you have reassured me it was worth it though. :)

I suppose it's 'feel the fear and do it'.
  • Options
    yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HarryB wrote: »
    Hi

I have problems in certain social situations. I'm ok if I can stay quiet, but if for any reason I have to be / am made to be the centre of attention in a group situation I clam up totally, struggle to get any words out, go bright red, and will literally drip with sweat.

This.

You said it better than I could.

Especially at work training events and group activities, I just want to listen and stay quiet.

I feel better that I am not the only one though.
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HarryB wrote: »
    Hi

I'm the same. I'm a bit weird but the worst things for me, when I get very nervous and tend to worry particularly, more than just in general social situations, like in group settings because I don't much like group settings, anyway otherwise the things I really tend to feel uncomfortable with are catered meetings, having to mill about around food with other members of staff around, everyone caught up in small talk and me often not really having anyone to talk to and then just the practicality of having to hold the plate and drink and what-not...even worse if its a sit down event, where do you sit etc.

Other than that, the other main situation that I feel particularly uncomfortable with, which is plain daft I know but all the same, its when I have to go to another office. The majority of the time I work in the one room/place and I swear I feel really rather nervous and uncomfortable when I have to nip through to another department or another office, which I have to do about a couple of times a week at least. Last time I was stood there, waiting for something to be done and I wasn't sure where to look or whatever. I felt like I was getting in the way and just wanted to be out of there. Feels like you've been sent to the headmasters office or something lol its so ridiculous. I don't know if thats specifically anxiety or what... I know what its like to be nervous and feel uncomfortable with things though, definitely.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really did!
    Didn't work for me, could be beating the therapist over the head with a chairleg didn't help though :(.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Harry, Izzy and Yellowpark... this is the problem I have, I could walk into a room with a thousand people and deliver a lecture and 'wing it' at a moments notice, but it's social situations that terrify me.

It makes me worried that any medical professionals wouldn't believe I had anxiety and thus would assume I was blagging.
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this to do with the New York thread in DS Advice?
  • Options
    Stormwave UKStormwave UK Posts: 5,088
    Forum Member
    It really did!

Indeed. Whilst doing my CBT for OCD, I became an alcoholic, self harmed and attempted suicide.

But I came out of the other end much better, and would recommend it to anyone.