How long does it take for a new driving license to arrive after an address change?

RandomPeter94RandomPeter94 Posts: 4,935
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I did it manually by writing the new address on the paper license (in the section where it says to write the new address) and sent it off yesterday with the photo card license in the post.

How long will it take for the new driving license to arrive?

Comments

• GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVLA are normally really quick when I have had dealing with them, with the return being more or less immediately. Assuming you sent it first class they probably got it today, assuming everything is correct and there is no back log you will probably get it back towards the middle to end of next week.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to this

https://www.gov.uk/change-address-driving-licence#other-ways-to-apply

up to 3 weeks if you do it by post.

Mind you I had to do a change of address and not only that but go from an old style paper licence to a new photocard one which you'd think would take a lot longer but I'm sure I had the new licence back in less than 3 weeks after posting off all the application forms and what have you they require.
  • RandomPeter94RandomPeter94 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting. When my provisional license was taken to be turned into a driving license, I got it in 10 days.
  • CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a replacement driving licence after a change of address within four working days last year.
  • RandomPeter94RandomPeter94 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a replacement driving licence after a change of address within four working days last year.

Is that by doing it online or sending the paper and license card manually with the new address filled in?
  • Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I had mine within the same week, did it online on a Monday, new licence with updated address by Friday! I was really suprised, never expected it that fast!
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Took 5 months for my son's to get back.
  • PuckyPucky Posts: 4,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine came quite quickly - can't remember how long as it was 5 years ago now but it was probably about a week. It also came back without my points on it - which if I'd sent it back to get removed would have cost me!
  • CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is that by doing it online or sending the paper and license card manually with the new address filled in?

I did it online.
  • JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I applied for a photo licence to replace my paper one last Friday ( after reading this thread! ) and the new licence arrived on Wednesday.