Options

Does anybody know any good sociable holiday places where you can make friends?

RandomPeter94RandomPeter94 Posts: 4,935
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm thinking about possible places to go on holiday next year with my family, and I'm wondering which sort of places (hotels) or countries/islands (somewhere hot) are good for making friends (I'm 21 next year) if there is any.

Comments

• Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    No help at all but are you social? I find outgoing social people tend to make friends with people anywhere.

How old are your siblings? If its a family holiday you will probably end up somewhere family orientated with other people of a similar age in the same situation so will probabaly bump into a few people who would rather make friends than hang out with their family.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tt88 wrote: »
    No help at all but are you social? I find outgoing social people tend to make friends with people anywhere.

How old are your siblings? If its a family holiday you will probably end up somewhere family orientated with other people of a similar age in the same situation so will probabaly bump into a few people who would rather make friends than hang out with their family.

Urm I can be shy but I try to. I have Aspergers but I do my best. At any place, I'd get scared if they were a group of made friends at the site (which wouldn't be a problem) or a group of friends from home (which I think would be awks). I have no siblings, so you could say just me and my parents.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hear Magaluf is very friendly :-)
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^ Yes. I "made friends" with people in Magaluf, Ibiza and Tenerife in my late teens and early twenties.
  • Options
    ratty0ratty0 Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps it might be more to do with what the hotel/locale offers in terms of organised activities rather than the place itself. For example, more complex-based hotels will tend to offer group sports/classes throughout the day which might make it easier to make friends or at least be around people of a similar age. Alternatively places which allow you to go out on organised trips might be a good option to.

Ultimately I think it's mainly down to luck (of there being the right kind of people around at the time you visit) plus your own personality/efforts. I'd be tempted to try some organised activities if I were you but this might not suit you.

In terms of general travelling, in my experience having travelled alone quite a bit: it's easier to make friends in hostels where there are usually lots of young people travelling alone/looking for social opportunities rather than in hotels. But this isn't really relevant for a family trip :-)
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    It might be an idea to go "all inclusive", the hotels generally have activities on all day long and encourage you to join in, usually it's not for me, but by the 2nd week it does break the day up, should you decide on a "pool day"

Another bonus is that because it's AI your more likely to see the same people every night, so if you meet some nice people chances are you'll see them again. Just don't become a pain always expecting people to let you sit down and join them every night.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go to Thailand. All of the local women are very friendly and will promise to "love you long time."

Seriously though Thailand a great place for meeting people as it attracts young independent travellers rather than families on package holidays
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Women? Nah women are not really my thing lol! My mum also doesn't want it to be overcrowded, e.g. she doesn't want beaches where you're all like sardines, or overcrowded towns. I don't it to be very quiet though, so it's dead.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Had you considered resort areas such as Gran Canaria, Ibiza, Mykonos and Sitges or cities such as Barcelona where there's likely to be quite a few activities to do and many other young people present? To some extent, the best place to go to will also depend on your own particular interests and likes.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    What about a holiday that offers some sort of activities for you, so that you can go out and meet people and make friends, while your parents relax and have some peace. A holiday where you could learn to scuba dive or windsurf, for example.