The Culture, Media and Sport select committee’s report is published at 11.30am

Comments

• Phil OwensPhil Owens Posts: 6,989
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    Rupert Murdoch has been running companies for years so that's a stupid statement. He did take his eye off the ball and should have known what was happening. Someone should have bought this to his attention year and years ago.

Running companies for years :confused: ... should have the experience to see what was going on

Took his eye off the ball ? :eek: understatement ....

Someone should have bought this to his attention year and years ago...... Pass the buck :rolleyes: sounds just like what Murdoch would/will do..
  • JamesC81JamesC81 Posts: 14,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    although not too fond of murdoch its tom watson i really cant stand
  • BorefestBorefest Posts: 9,557
    Forum Member
    JamesC81 wrote: »
    although not too fond of murdoch its tom watson i really cant stand

I can't stand Tom Watson either he always looks so smug and will no doubt live off this story for the rest of his life, he makes my skin crawl.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,152
    Forum Member
    I love Tom Watson. That aside, if Myler, Crone and Hilton are standing by their word none of them will apologize
  • SideshowStuSideshowStu Posts: 11,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phil Owens wrote: »
    Running companies for years :confused: ... should have the experience to see what was going on

Took his eye off the ball ? :eek: understatement ....

Someone should have bought this to his attention year and years ago...... Pass the buck :rolleyes: sounds just like what Murdoch would/will do..

Actually someone did give a hint that not all was as it should be back in 2003 :) Her name is Rebekah Brooks and she stated on TV that the NOTW made payments to police officers and appeared to be blissfully unaware that to do so was (and still is) illegal...

Did Rupert put her straight about that? I don't know, but I do know that some years later the very same Ms Brooks had not only been promoted but was bizarrely put in charge of an investigation into misdeeds at the paper that happened under her own leadership :eek:

It's little things like this that make me doubtful that Rupert is just a good businessman who was merely the victim of unscrupulous minions tbh :)
  • Drunken ScouserDrunken Scouser Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny how certain people on here would rather aim their vitriol at the person who uncovered wrongdoing, rather than the person who presided over it.

Very funny indeed.
  • mRebelmRebel Posts: 24,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny how certain people on here would rather aim their vitriol at the person who uncovered wrongdoing, rather than the person who presided over it.

News International did the same. In February 2010 the Commons Committee on Culture and Media published a report highly critical of the company and phone hacking. Here's how they responded through the pages of the News of the World,

A comment piece, published in the News of the World the following Sunday was, if
    anything, more vitriolic. In a full page editorial, headlined ‘YOUR right to know is mired in
    MPs’ bias. But a free press is far too precious to lose’, the newspaper stated:
    Sadly, the victims here are YOU, the public. If these MPs get their way, our media
    landscape will be changed forever.
    Serious reform of the laws that stop us telling the truth—reform on which this
    committee should have spent the vast bulk of its time—has at the very least been
    delayed.

And, with no hint of parody or irony, it concluded:

So each time you read a revelation in the News of the World or any paper, bear in
    mind the forces that are at work trying to silence us and keep you in ignorance.
    They are many and they are powerful. And right now they’re doing their damndest
    to wreck the most precious of basic press freedoms—your right to know. As they
    watched the Select Committee descent into bias, spite and bile, they’d have been
    cheering.
    We’ll take no lessons in standards from MPs—nor from the self-serving pygmies
    who run the circulation-challenged Guardian.
    But we promise this: As long as we have the power to fight,
    you can rely on us to
    keep doing what we do best—revealing the misdeeds that influential people are
    desperate to hide.

And we’ll let YOU be our judge and jury.

paragraph 24 of the Committe report published today. You can read the whole report here,

http://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/culture-media-and-sport-committee/news/news-international-and-phone-hacking-report-publication/

it's shocking reading.
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Very funny indeed.

Not really. For all Murdoch's faults, it's never an edifying spectacle watching someone sharpening their knife and heading after their pound of flesh.
  • WoodentopWoodentop Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still waiting to hear whether Ton Watson will revoke his parliamentary privilege and make the accusations in the same manner and in public.

Solenoid, the Labour party being the biggest in Westminster??
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woodentop wrote: »
    Still waiting to hear whether Ton Watson will revoke his parliamentary privilege and make the accusations in the same manner and in public.

I was trying to get my head round that too. Maybe if you take the other place into account? :rolleyes:
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Woodentop wrote: »

In the parallel universe I seem to be currently inhabiting where minor parties get the most votes in commitees.
  • SideshowStuSideshowStu Posts: 11,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    Not really. For all Murdoch's faults, it's never an edifying spectacle watching someone sharpening their knife and heading after their pound of flesh.

I blame the influence of the tabloids myself :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Tom Watson. That aside, if Myler, Crone and Hilton are standing by their word none of them will apologize

I thought Tom Watson was doing a good job until he said to J Murdoch at the select committee "You must be the first Mafia boss in history who didn't know he was running a criminal enterprise."

Silly and childish, but perhaps he was having a bad day.

I still think Watson is doing a decent job, but it's also the case that his ego is part of the equation.
  • WoodentopWoodentop Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Tom Watson was doing a good job until he said to J Murdoch at the select committee "You must be the first Mafia boss in history who didn't know he was running a criminal enterprise."

Silly and childish, but perhaps he was having a bad day.

I still think Watson is doing a decent job, but it's also the case that his ego is part of the equation.

He'll continue digging no doubt and has indicated this already. However, it seems his chances of getting his ultimate scalps are receding, unless some well hidden trace or evidence is uncovered or disclosed at the possible criminal trials.
  • Barney06Barney06 Posts: 123,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Never heard of the Lib Dem MP on the panel , Adrian Sanders who represents Torbay which he won in 1997 by 12 votes , in 2010 he had a majority of over 23,000 .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "U.K. lawmakers called on News Corp. to allow its former criminal defense firm to reveal details on a 2006 internal probe into phone-hacking at the company’s now- defunct News of the World tabloid. "

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-05-01/news-corp-dot-should-waive-law-firm-privilege-lawmakers-say
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After the Milly Dowler revelations, I thought news Corporation shouldn't be allowed to own any media in this country. That is still my opinion.

However, the report released today is politicised and lacks credibility. Tom Watson has been immature throughout. I remember the way he questioned James Murdoch. It seemed that he was just trying to draw attention to himself. He shouldn't be allowed to sit on parliamentary select committees again.

News Corporation is an immoral organisation, and Tom Watson is an immoral politician. I have no time for either of them.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    Rupert Murdoch has been running companies for years so that's a stupid statement. He did take his eye off the ball and should have known what was happening. Someone should have bought this to his attention year and years ago.

Protecting the reputation of your company is probably one of the most important things people in his position are supposed to do. They are supposed to do this by setting an example and making it clear what behaviours and ethical standards everyone is supposed to abide to.

I recently moved companies and had to go through a series of courses (with multiple choice exams) on business ethics and 'protecting the brand'. These are mandatory for all employees and have to re-taken every three years. The whistle blowing system was also explained in a video presented by the CEO himself.

Now that is how a company should treat this sort of thing.
  • menadarvamenadarva Posts: 1,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was Tom Watson a fit and proper person to be a member of a Select Committee looking into the influence and possible wrongdoing of News International?

He was conducting a campaign against NI, had personal animosity towards Murdoch, was writing a book about Murdoch, and published the book before the Committee announced its findings.

I find it astonishing that such a person is considered impartial and therefore qualified to sit on that particular Parliamentary Committee.
    Forum Member
    Barney06 wrote: »
    Never heard of the Lib Dem MP on the panel , Adrian Sanders who represents Torbay which he won in 1997 by 12 votes , in 2010 he had a majority of over 23,000 .

Sanders is one of the few Lib Dems who I think will keep his seat in the next election, on most issues he's stuck by what Lib Dem supporters wanted and voted against the government, exception was nhs bill
    Forum Member
    menadarva wrote: »
    Was Tom Watson a fit and proper person to be a member of a Select Committee looking into the influence and possible wrongdoing of News International?

He was conducting a campaign against NI, had personal animosity towards Murdoch, was writing a book about Murdoch, and published the book before the Committee announced its findings.

I find it astonishing that such a person is considered impartial and therefore qualified to sit on that Parliamentary Committee.

All of this after he became a committee member, but you could argue that about a lot of the people on the committee, Whittnigdale has close links to the Murdochs
  • Transient1Transient1 Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I blame the influence of the tabloids myself :)

That made me smile.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    www.lbc.co.uk

Debate on it now with Therese Coffey (one of the Cons on the Select Committee), Vincent Graff, media commentator, Scarlett McGuire (former media advisor to Lab)
  • menadarvamenadarva Posts: 1,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All of this after he became a committee member, but you could argue that about a lot of the people on the committee, Whittnigdale has close links to the Murdochs

Are you sure the animosity didn't exist before he became a member of the Committee?

Even if not, Watson was patently biased, and how do you explain his writing and publishing a book about Murdoch whilst still on the Committee?

If you are part of a Committee in public life you are supposed to declare an interest or decline to take part when there is an obvious conflict of interest resulting in an inability to make an impartial judgement . Watson did neither yet everyone knew of his animosity towards the Murdochs.