WiFi on a mobile

PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does that mean that i can use a wifi enabled phone to connect to my router at home & use it to surf the internet on my aol connection without using wap?

never had a smart phone before so i dont know much about them

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    Does that mean that i can use a wifi enabled phone to connect to my router at home & use it to surf the internet on my aol connection without using wap?

never had a smart phone before so i dont know much about them

Yup that's about it mate, saves you using data out of the inclusive allowance your mobile network provider gives you.

You can also connect to various free wi-fi hotspots at stations/cafes etc.
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ok thank you

do most routers have wireless n as i want to get the pearl blackberry & i see it uses that. my router is fairly old now. a speedtouch 585
  • legends wear 7legends wear 7 Posts: 2,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phone will be backwards compatible through B and G
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just got the blackberry pearl.

thanks for your answers
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    I have wifi on my phone, however have noticed that i'm still being charged by my mobile network for the internet despite being connected to my home network. Its set up as my preferred access point. The phone is the Nokia X3-02.

Any ideas on making it just run the internet through the wifi rather than what appears to be both?
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reborn wrote: »
    I have wifi on my phone, however have noticed that i'm still being charged by my mobile network for the internet despite being connected to my home network. Its set up as my preferred access point. The phone is the Nokia X3-02.

Any ideas on making it just run the internet through the wifi rather than what appears to be both?

Turn off 3G on your phone when connecting via the Wireless network.
    Forum Member
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Turn off 3G on your phone when connecting via the Wireless network.
    I had dual mode, so just switched it to 3G, now getting a packet data connection is not found. I've tried looking and changing one or two of the settings in them, but not working.
  • prkingprking Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    That means you have the phone set up to connect via the network, not your wi-fi. Alternatively, your wi-fi isn't working.
    Forum Member
    prking wrote: »
    That means you have the phone set up to connect via the network, not your wi-fi. Alternatively, your wi-fi isn't working.
    Just to let people know, I was able to run a software update through the wi-fi on the phone before I noticed this. That also appeared to have a different symbol representing the wi-fi than the internet browser.

In my web configuration settings, I have the configuration set to default (other options being my network & O2) and for account, Tesco WAP.
    Forum Member
    Never mind, after finding a topic which didn't show up on my first few searches - I tried something and I can use the wi-fi through Opera, it seems Nokia's browser fails that way. I can also leave it in Dual Mode and it appears to not charge too, so at least I don't have to change settings each time I want to access.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reborn wrote: »
    Never mind, after finding a topic which didn't show up on my first few searches - I tried something and I can use the wi-fi through Opera, it seems Nokia's browser fails that way. I can also leave it in Dual Mode and it appears to not charge too, so at least I don't have to change settings each time I want to access.

I see you hijacked this thread from the OP! LOL! Although you may not be being charged, it still may eat into your monthly allowance for Data, so I would look for a way of turning this off when you are using wi fi.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its always best to turn off the mobile network/data connection in the settings when using wifi.

Its far safer to only turn it on when needed.
    Forum Member
    I see you hijacked this thread from the OP! LOL! Although you may not be being charged, it still may eat into your monthly allowance for Data, so I would look for a way of turning this off when you are using wi fi.
    I'm on pay as you go since I very rarely use the internet on my phone. Also I was referring to another forum by the topics comment. Also since the previous poster seemed to get an answer they are pleased with - I see no problem with posting a related question in the same topic rather than make a new one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WiFi on my blackberry is pretty bloody fast lol

pity i can't get 3g or gprs to work :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WiFi on my blackberry is pretty bloody fast lol

pity i can't get 3g or gprs to work :(

You need to dig out your instruction book. Failing that, call your phone company.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bolton wasn't activated yet, it's working now

still a bit puzzled why it keeps switching between gprs & 3g when i'm not in the house.

no biggie i'll suss it

very easy phone to use
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    You need to dig out your instruction book. Failing that, call your phone company.

Or download the user's manual which can usually be done by Googling for it. I have always managed to find manuals for all phones that I have considered buying so that I can read up about them first!