The John and Edward Appreciation Thread (Part 19)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's another question for the Eurovision pro's...

Usually, in these types of competitions acts that perform right before or right after intermission score fairly high in addition to the final act. Sometimes, the opening act (if strong) does well.

Do these patterns hold for Eurovision, or are there different patterns?

I can't remember if there even was an intermission last year... so this might not apply to this contest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tons of good publicity from the marathon and the movie premiere, and a great draw in the semi-final!

Not a bad few days for Jedward! :)

(Now, how about Part 20 of the AT - 1D got a new part after just 3005 posts!)

I had already contacted the moderators... but it wouldn't hurt if others requested a part 20.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pithywitch wrote: »
    Here's another question for the Eurovision pro's...

Usually, in these types of competitions acts that perform right before or right after intermission score fairly high in addition to the final act. Sometimes, the opening act (if strong) does well.

Do these patterns hold for Eurovision, or are there different patterns?

I can't remember if there even was an intermission last year... so this might not apply to this contest.

You're talking about the ad breaks pithywitch? There's evidence that performing just before the ad break in Eurovision is an advantage, and just after it is a disadvantage. The theory goes that the song just before the break sticks in the viewer's memory but there is also a chance that they will use the break to make a snack or a drink or whatever, or go to the bathroom and they may not be back in time for the start of the next song.

There will be two commercial breaks in the semi btw : one about a third of the way through, and a second about two thirds into the show.
  • flowerduckflowerduck Posts: 1,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rosemary wrote: »
    Yeah thats me..Thanks...I keep getting annoyed...which isn't too good :D its my husband id ..he signed up for something else ages ago..it signs in automatically on this comp..but he gets an email, which annoys him. It won't let me log out and rejoin though :o

I hate getting those update emails, it tends to get me wound up seeing nasty comments in answer to mine...I'm trying to rise above it :(
  • ScheheraSchehera Posts: 1,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://t.co/wWCHLwsx twitvid http://t.co/VPT10qED youtube JEDWARD INTERVIEW PONC XL TG4 20.03.12
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Schehera wrote: »
    http://t.co/wWCHLwsx twitvid http://t.co/VPT10qED youtube JEDWARD INTERVIEW PONC XL TG4 20.03.12

Thanks Schehera. I love seeing them on TG4.

It's a nice interview - they've a good rapport with Colmán. And ain't Máire Treasa Ní Dhubhghaill a lucky lady!? ;):D
  • Who Am I?Who Am I? Posts: 20,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats true...the other one was so annoying though, it said in the article they wore swimming trunks...I posted about ten times they wore swimming trunks..and people were still saying if they didn't know they were going to do it, why did they bring running clothes ...arghhh!! :eek: I had to stop looking at it, because it was drinving me crazy :D

That was driving me nuts yesterday. Good job I was at work todayso didn'thave to look at it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    silverhand wrote: »
    Thanks Schehera. I love seeing them on TG4.

It's a nice interview - they've a good rapport with Colmán. And ain't Máire Treasa Ní Dhubhghaill a lucky lady!? ;):D

Not many women can say that John and Edward have fought over them ;)
  • Who Am I?Who Am I? Posts: 20,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved all the photos from last nights premier. Looks as though John and Edward stole the show. Its been a good weekend for 'upping' the Jedward profile - well done boys.

Thought Tara looked stunning in that white dress. I did wonder if they go flat haired as the marathon had been run in quiffs and they were there to support Tara as John and Edward, but I'm a big fan of the quiffs so wasn't surprised to see them. Think it was the right decision and I do like those jackets. Think we might be seeing more of them especially as they were made from a Jedward design.
  • ScheheraSchehera Posts: 1,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who Am I? wrote: »
    Loved all the photos from last nights premier. Looks as though John and Edward stole the show. Its been a good weekend for 'upping' the Jedward profile - well done boys.

Thought Tara looked stunning in that white dress. I did wonder if they go flat haired as the marathon had been run in quiffs and they were there to support Tara as John and Edward, but I'm a big fan of the quiffs so wasn't surprised to see them. Think it was the right decision and I do like those jackets. Think we might be seeing more of them especially as they were made from a Jedward design.

http://t.co/rTdbt11U "....Tara really should’ve left them at home. I mean, this is probably the last chance for a lot of the (below) actors to ever walk a red carpet, and these guys are totally Jedwarding out and stealing the limelight. Not really fair...."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hahaha everybody says they stole the limelight :cool: mission accomplished then.

The TG4 interview was nice, it's the first time I hear Edward saying "I made, I recorded and edited the Lipstick video all by myself" and I love how naturally he said it, not bragging or anything. Gotta love him.
  • rosemaryrosemary Posts: 11,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Schehera wrote: »
    http://t.co/rTdbt11U "....Tara really should’ve left them at home. I mean, this is probably the last chance for a lot of the (below) actors to ever walk a red carpet, and these guys are totally Jedwarding out and stealing the limelight. Not really fair...."

"Jedwarding out" I love it :) Tara's not daft, I think she knew they would steal the limelight, it was very sweet and generous of her to invite them..I think she is genuinely trying her best to open doors for them over there :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Jedwarding out" I love it :) Tara's not daft, I think she knew they would steal the limelight, it was very sweet and generous of her to invite them..I think she is genuinely trying her best to open doors for them over there :)

I doubt Tara would even be bothered if they upstaged her. It's not as if she is an up and coming actress who needs all the publicity she can get :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hahaha everybody says they stole the limelight :cool: mission accomplished then.

The TG4 interview was nice, it's the first time I hear Edward saying "I made, I recorded and edited the Lipstick video all by myself" and I love how naturally he said it, not bragging or anything. Gotta love him.

I liked how he said it too. And "myself", not "ourselves", which is normally how these things tend to get expressed. Also enjoyed John explaining how they watch the cameramen in the interviews they do to see how shots are set up and how things are lit. That was interesting. They are definitely like "sponges", lol. :D

Definitely a fun interview. Shows what a difference it makes when an interviewer 'gets' them. :)
  • rosemaryrosemary Posts: 11,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    silverhand wrote: »
    I liked how he said it too. And "myself", not "ourselves", which is normally how these things tend to get expressed. Also enjoyed John explaining how they watch the cameramen in the interviews they do to see how shots are set up and how things are lit. That was interesting. They are definitely like "sponges", lol. :D

Definitely a fun interview. Shows what a difference it makes when an interviewer 'gets' them. :)

I'd love to send that interview around the UK and say "Look!! this is how you do it, this is who they are!" but I doubt they would take any notice :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The twins greeting fans at the premiere last night :)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcaEX_QUEeg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Italian entry has been released in a mixture of English and Italian :

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K8PB8eIy50

This one is very dangerous IMO, and can go really high up the scoreboard.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    You're talking about the ad breaks pithywitch? There's evidence that performing just before the ad break in Eurovision is an advantage, and just after it is a disadvantage. The theory goes that the song just before the break sticks in the viewer's memory but there is also a chance that they will use the break to make a snack or a drink or whatever, or go to the bathroom and they may not be back in time for the start of the next song.

There will be two commercial breaks in the semi btw : one about a third of the way through, and a second about two thirds into the show.

thanks for the info... so, no intermission,...hmmmm....are there any theories about the rise towards the mid-point act (say, 10th, assuming there appx. 20) and the fall away from it? In other words, the audience fatigue which usually sets in about 1/4 of the way thru, then perks up toward the middle, then slowly declines until perking up again before the last 3 acts?

Apologies for the strangeness of the question, I'm just wondering if anyone has really looked at the rise and fall of the cadence of the evening and seen any pattern.

People talk about 'pimp slots' all the time in competitions, but I haven't really seen any sort of discussion about this in terms of Eurovision with the exception of last performance on the night.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have no idea why this reminds me of Fosse's Hey Big Spender... it's probably just the sax at the beginning.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no idea why this reminds me of Fosse's Hey Big Spender... it's probably just the sax at the beginning.

I'm getting a bit of an Amy Winehouse vibe as well, both from her and the song. The reason I say it is dangerous is because it's the type of song that can score very well with televoters and the juries.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks for the info... so, no intermission,...hmmmm....are there any theories about the rise towards the mid-point act (say, 10th, assuming there appx. 20) and the fall away from it? In other words, the audience fatigue which usually sets in about 1/4 of the way thru, then perks up toward the middle, then slowly declines until perking up again before the last 3 acts?

Apologies for the strangeness of the question, I'm just wondering if anyone has really looked at the rise and fall of the cadence of the evening and seen any pattern.

People talk about 'pimp slots' all the time in competitions, but I haven't really seen any sort of discussion about this in terms of Eurovision with the exception of last performance on the night.

By an intermission, do you mean some sort of extended break for 10 or 15 minutes? There has never been such a break in Eurovision, possibly because it would put songs in the earlier part of the show at a disdvantage (indeed commercial breaks were only introduced ten years ago....it used to be a live three hour continuous broadcast).

We do know from the televoting stats that songs drawn later tend to do better as a rule. Possibly because by the end of the contest, people have forgotten many of the earlier ones, and the later ones are fresher in their memory (the later ones being the last six songs or so).

Interestingly the opening song of the night often does reasonably well though, simply because it's the first one heard and sticks in the memory for that reason.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Maybe it's that I love Italian because I can understand a good part of it, but for me they've destroyed the song with the translation. It sounds just weird. (as the same way I hate the Romanian song because I can understand both parts in English and Spanish and they make no sense) The phrasings were perfect in Italian and now they're all over the place. Not cool Italy :(
    I loved for example Iceland's song in Icelandic, and I think the song is weaker in English now, but still sounds good. I can't say the same about this one.

But as the 90% of Europe have neither heard the Italian version nor understand Italian, I guess she'll be fine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe it's that I love Italian because I can understand a good part of it, but for me they've destroyed the song with the translation. It sounds just weird. (as the same way I hate the Romanian song because I can understand both parts in English and Spanish and they make no sense) The phrasings were perfect in Italian and now they're all over the place. Not cool Italy :(
    I loved for example Iceland's song in Icelandic, and I think the song is weaker in English now, but still sounds good. I can't say the same about this one.

But as the 90% of Europe have neither heard the Italian version nor understand Italian, I guess she'll be fine.

It would probably be preferable if they went with 100% Italian or 100% English flyingcamel, but this is clearly a strong song and a contender : retro, but modern sounding at the same time.
  • SecretPassageSecretPassage Posts: 1,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The ESC Bet blog has some info on how well acts do based on the running order. The big message - acts that perform near the end do well. Check out the semi-finals for 2011 - most of the finals-qualifying acts in the semis performed near the end of the first half or second half of their semi.

In the final, it looks like acts that perform in the last third of the show do the best. This is why Spain, who got the wildcard pick, chose 19 as their slot in the final. Poor UK got stuck with position 1!

There has also been academic research done on voting patterns for "Idol" shows around the world - similar to Eurovision. As well as confirming that acts that perform later do better, they also discovered that acts that follow another good act do better than acts that follow a poor act. So I'm glad the Jeds aren't following San Marino or Latvia! :D
This discussion has been closed.