So much for Farage being worried about Thanet...

radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has spent all day in sunny Clacton! Crowds everywhere he walked. Must feel confident about Thanet to devote so much time here.

Comments

• worzilworzil Posts: 4,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has spent all day in sunny Clacton! Crowds everywhere he walked. Must feel confident about Thanet to devote so much time here.

He is a party leader and just like all the other party leaders he has to move about.
    Maybe you feel he should pitch his tent in Thanet but I don't think UKIP would get the word out from there.
    He doesn't only have to be seen people also wish to meet him and ask him questions.
    At least he is out and about not like some only talking to organised meetings.
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He seems to spend a lot of time in Clacton.
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    He seems to spend a lot of time in Clacton.

He has a sitting member of parliament to support in Clacton important well yes.
  • jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    Carswell seems to be safer in his seat than Farage's prospects in Thanet. Still, it's their choice where to target their resources.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He has a sitting member of parliament to support in Clacton important well yes.

Carswell would do just as well without him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carswell would do just as well without him.

Maybe maybe not i am in no position to judge as i am not local to Clacton although i live in Essex.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel if he truly wants to lead a national party he needs to move out of the SE a bit more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel if he truly wants to lead a national party he needs to move out of the SE a bit more.

Well he will have people on the ground all over i suspect.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well he will have people on the ground all over i suspect.

Probably, all parties do. Their leader needs to get out more though or it will look like they are only interested in the SE. Perception is quite important.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably, all parties do. Their leader needs to get out more though or it will look like they are only interested in the SE. Perception is quite important.

No i make you right though i suspect in a weeks time he will have to focus on Thanet full stop.

Just hope he spreads himself around before then.
  • jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member

I'm not sure Farage is bothered any more to be honest. He's taken the party as far as it's likely to go, and having failed to convince the Conservatives (via Jacob Rees Mogg and the like) to either defect, or form a pact, or indeed to facilitate his own side to make any genuine in-roads in terms of seat count, I think there's probably a part of him that now wants to take on the lucrative Stateside job he's undoubtedly been promised.

For all the bluster after the debates, he looked frustrated and past caring to me.
  • Nick1966Nick1966 Posts: 15,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjne wrote: »
    For all the bluster after the debates, he looked frustrated and past caring to me.

A point shared by this interesting article in "conservative home"
    http://www.conservativehome.com/highlights/2015/04/the-hangover-after-the-party-how-might-the-general-election-affect-ukips-internal-politics.html

Looks like UKIP might be reaching the end of the road after 7 May.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick1966 wrote: »
    A point shared by this interesting article in "conservative home"
    http://www.conservativehome.com/highlights/2015/04/the-hangover-after-the-party-how-might-the-general-election-affect-ukips-internal-politics.html

Looks like the UKIP might reach the end of the road after 7 May.

What a surprise article from Conservative Home obviously no interest in them discrediting UKIP..

Surprised you are using Conservative Home as a source.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surprised you are using Conservative Home as a source.

So am I.

It raises some interesting points.

If Nigel Farage wins Thanet, goes to Westminster and quits as an MEP, what's going to happen UKIP in the EU parliament ? Who will lead them there and what will they be like as a parliamentary grouping with Mr Farage ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No i make you right though i suspect in a weeks time he will have to focus on Thanet full stop..

Yes.

Nigel Farage has staked a lot on winning Thanet. He has to win there.
    http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2015/03/nigel-farage-is-right-he-has-to-win-in-south-thanet/

If doesn't, he risks looking like a busted flush.

So the Conservatives will stop at nothing to deny Mr Farage victory in Thanet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So am I.

If Nigel Farage wins Thanet, goes to Westminster and quits as an MEP, what's going to happen UKIP in the EU parliament ? Who will lead them there and what will they be like as a parliamentary grouping with Mr Farage ?

EU representation as a MEP becomes less important in my view as Nigel Farage will have a voice in the UK parliament.

He will be able to show up other people as being subserviant to Brussels in a way its not possible at the moment.

And i am guessing that is what the Tories are most afraid of after all they voted for the Single European Act (Margaret Thatcher) and maastricht (John Major) without even a hint of a referendum.

Especially the Single European act which transferred a lot of powers in the end including open borders.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He will be able to show up other people .../QUOTE]

To this credit, this is Mr Farage's great skill: being able to set the agenda without accepting any of the responsibility.

Mr Farage is happy to shout from the edges. He'll never risk his reputation by going into government. After all, look what happened to Nick Clegg.
  • TequilaTequila Posts: 5,111
    Forum Member
    So am I.

Roger Helmer is already the head of the UKIP delegation in the European Parliament. I suspect they'll just nominate a new leader for the EFDD if Donna Edmunds becomes an MEP.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He will be able to show up other people .../QUOTE]

To this credit, this is Mr Farage's great skill: being able to set the agenda without accepting any of the responsibility.

Mr Farage is happy to shout from the edges. He'll never risk his reputation by going into government. After all, look what happened to Nick Clegg.

I would not want to risk him going into government but i would like a voice that can speak for the way i feel IE in a situation i have been offered no voice in IE The single European Act.

If there had of been enough dissenters then at least we may have ben offered a referendum.

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/2003/jun/11/european-treaty-referendum

At least Frank Field (Labour) to his credit thought there ought to have been one.

Mr. Frank Field (Birkenhead) Let us quickly get back to the mountain heights, rather than the lower hills, of this debate. Does the right hon. Gentleman accept that as most Labour voters are in favour of a referendum, and as there is a slight division between some of our leadership and the rank and file, the best course of action today would be for us to have a good debate and to call for many more debates, but for the right hon. Gentleman not to push the motion to a Division? If we divided on the issue, hon. Members would have to take a position in the early stages of this debate, but I am sure that once their constituents had got hold of them they would change their minds.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would not want to risk him [Nigel Farage] going into government

And that, we are both agreed.
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the strategy was to be out of sight in Thanet South by now. If so the strategy has backfired.

I also get the impression that a lot of the support he does have down here is a lot softer than the UKIP hierarchy would wish.
  • northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like Farage went off to Clacton to get some reflected glory off Carswell's popularity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And that, we are both agreed.

And i notice on you failing to answer Labours Frank Field on the single european act referendum he thought should have taken place as a left of centre person i thought you may have an opinion.

Mr. Frank Field (Birkenhead) Let us quickly get back to the mountain heights, rather than the lower hills, of this debate. Does the right hon. Gentleman accept that as most Labour voters are in favour of a referendum, and as there is a slight division between some of our leadership and the rank and file, the best course of action today would be for us to have a good debate and to call for many more debates, but for the right hon. Gentleman not to push the motion to a Division? If we divided on the issue, hon. Members would have to take a position in the early stages of this debate, but I am sure that once their constituents had got hold of them they would change their minds.
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nigel has been in Thanet lots of times; yesterday being the last time he was there.

All you need to do is check his Twitter and Facebook pages to see where he's at each day:

https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage

https://www.facebook.com/nigelfarageofficial

Nigel is drawing lots of crowds wherever he is.:)
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nethwen wrote: »
    Nigel has been in Thanet lots of times; yesterday being the last time he was there.

All you need to do is check his Twitter and Facebook pages to see where he's at each day:

https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage

https://www.facebook.com/nigelfarageofficial

Nigel is drawing lots of crowds wherever he is.:)

He certainly looked confident and in good form. ITV's Emma Nicholson seems a good sort too.