11 Weeks now!!!! - ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!

dragon_mutant1dragon_mutant1 Posts: 212
Forum Member
This is getting ridiculous now!!! >:( >:(

'One Dance' is now number 1 for an ELEVENTH bloody week now!!! Only reached 11 weeks due to what? Streaming!! The official charts company seriously need to do something about this, and quickly!!!

http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/drake-sees-off-kungs-to-claim-longest-running-number-1-of-the-digital-age__15448/

The addition of streaming has already killed the UK charts and as a result, this dull, generic song has spent a record E-F**KING-LEVEN WEEKS at number one is just a sign that the inclusion of streaming is just not right. It's not even supposed to be number 1 based on the midweek charts AND the physical/download sales. This plague needs to be removed from the charts and stop forcing other artists to lose that number 1 spot!!!

The Official Charts Company should regret the introduction of unfair streaming as it has caused a generic song to spend ELEVEN WEEKS at number 1 and messed up the UK Charts forever!! >:( >:( >:( >:(

RANT OVER.

Comments

• EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The addition of streaming has already killed the UK charts and as a result, this dull, generic song has spent a record E-F**KING-LEVEN WEEKS at number one

How is it a record? Bryan Adams spent 16 weeks at No1.
  • dragon_mutant1dragon_mutant1 Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    EStaffs90 wrote: »
    How is it a record? Bryan Adams spent 16 weeks at No1.

I mean in the 21st century!!
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think I've ever even heard it!
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've never heard it either........:o
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    Maybe our Brave New World will decide streaming is foreign and ban it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just played it on YouTube

Difficult to see why that's so popular..........there doesn't seem to be much there.

Bloke talk-singing, some drums, some echo girl in the background, not much of a tune

Who's buying it ?.....:o
  • casualtyno1fancasualtyno1fan Posts: 2,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. I'm fully aware that streaming is now the future of music, but to me, it's making a joke of the charts when you're #1 for so long based literally only on streams like Drake (this week is 46k streams vs. 14k pure sales - source is Buzzjack).

It doesn't necessarily help in Drake's case that I find him vastly overrated and nowhere near as good as I'm told he is.
  • HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,627
    Forum Member
    We're going to have to get used to more and more long running #1 singles in the future.

Last week there was just over 1k in sales separating Drake and Kungs. This week the sales gaps drifted to 3k between Drake and Kungs.

So really Kungs best shot at being #1 in the UK charts happened last Friday, rather than today.

You can monitor the progress of One Dance using:

http://kworb.net/popuk/

https://spotifycharts.com/regional/gb/daily/latest

On Kworb, if the figures for One Dance start increasing throughout the week, then Drake will be #1 next Friday. Right now, Drake is on 0.4559 so if by Monday that figure has gone up to 0.5000 that means Kungs' sales are dropping (not Drake's sales increasing).

On Spotify, if the figures for One Dance remain more than double the number of streams to those of This Girl, then Drake will be #1 next Friday. Right now, Drake is on 472,388 which is actually less than double those of This Girl (282,437) but if by Monday the streaming figures for One Dance are more than double that of This Girl then Drake will be #1 for a 12th week.

With sales so low right now, I'm surprised that there isn't a single new release that can take full advantage and get enough download sales and stream sales to enter at #1.

Bastille couldn't do it. Dizzee Rascal looks unlikely to do it either.

What does a new release have to do to shoot up to #1 on iTunes and Spotify within hours of release?
  • dragon_mutant1dragon_mutant1 Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Just played it on YouTube

Difficult to see why that's so popular..........there doesn't seem to be much there.

Bloke talk-singing, some drums, some echo girl in the background, not much of a tune

Who's buying it ?.....:o
    They're not buying it, they're STREAMING it and it is making a complete and utter mockery of the music charts!!

It is exactly why streaming should be abolished from the charts, they may aswell add YouTube views to the charts as well as stupid streaming!!! Charts should only focus on SALES and DOWNLOADS!!!

If anyone in the Official Charts Company had any sense or morals, they would disqualify this song from the charts and give other deserving artists a chance to reach number 1!!!

#StopStreamingOneDance
  • Soapfan678Soapfan678 Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't heard the song yet, but now going to go and listen to it on Spotify.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They're not buying it, they're STREAMING it and it is making a complete and utter mockery of the music charts!!

It is exactly why streaming should be abolished from the charts, they may aswell add YouTube views to the charts as well as stupid streaming!!! Charts should only focus on SALES and DOWNLOADS!!!

If anyone in the Official Charts Company had any sense or morals, they would disqualify this song from the charts and give other deserving artists a chance to reach number 1!!!

#StopStreamingOneDance

Oh right, I think I get it now........I was a bit slow on the uptake there !

I suppose the equivalent in the olden days would have been if everyone who bought the record had to send in a weekly return to say how many times they had played it.......and those figures were counted in the chart

:o
  • AudioRebelAudioRebel Posts: 32,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The singles charts as we used to know it are now dead & irrelevant. Even the kids streaming the likes of Drake don't know what a chart is. Nobody genuinely cares about the 'hit-parade' anymore.
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a great song though. I can see why it's so popular. It gets a lot of stick on here but I love it.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Better than having the absurd situation of 11 consecutive different 1 week No1's in a row.

As Mr Tater's said, the singles chart is irrelevant and as exciting or meaningful as some dreary government stat from the Office Of National Statistics nowadays.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever even heard it!
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I've never heard it either........:o
    I've never heard of it either.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member
    It's alright. Drake has far better stuff. Don't get the hype tbh.
  • ThorneyThorney Posts: 3,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hitstastic wrote: »
    What does a new release have to do to shoot up to #1 on iTunes and Spotify within hours of release?

Because of on air on sale, a track needs to built up plays there wont be 50000 people all waiting to play the new Bastille song, it will take a few weeks. You see the pattern now is for a song to get a highish first week, then slump and then come back up again as it gets added to playlists and more people get to hear it.

Songs used to get 8 weeks of airplay before release so people knew them when they came out of course this had the double effect of piracy as people wouldnt wait to buy them, the songs always got leaked. Now how many people heard the new Dizzee song before yesterday, I hadnt.

But some acts now like Drake and Beiber as soon as a new song is announced their hordes of fans all jump on it and there fan base is huger than Bastille.

Do you remember at school when you were young there was certain people who only liked 1 artist, these are the people screwing up the charts now. Imagine if we had streaming in 1988 Bros would have been number one for a year!! The more different music you like the less effect you have on the chart :(.
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The streaming is what causes songs to peak so early from major artists. Artists like Drake, Rihanna and Bieber will release a single and immediately it will jump into the top 5 on Spotify before climbing to #1 within a couple of days. There is just so much interest if they release a brand new song. For lesser artists they will often debut in the lower end of the top 50 and build up over a number of weeks when airplay increases etc.

We now also have the situation where album tracks are now charting very highly which probably isn't ideal for the artist as they can't run a proper album campaign. Again Drake ft Rihanna - Too Good is a streaming monster and in the top 5 of the charts despite it being an album track. Drake probably would've preferred to realease that with a music video after One Dance had died down but it's probably peaked already.
  • JohnStannardJohnStannard Posts: 7,649
    Forum Member
    cant say if ive heard of it or not
    Forum Member
    Thorney wrote: »
    Because of on air on sale, a track needs to built up plays there wont be 50000 people all waiting to play the new Bastille song, it will take a few weeks. You see the pattern now is for a song to get a highish first week, then slump and then come back up again as it gets added to playlists and more people get to hear it.

Songs used to get 8 weeks of airplay before release so people knew them when they came out of course this had the double effect of piracy as people wouldnt wait to buy them, the songs always got leaked. Now how many people heard the new Dizzee song before yesterday, I hadnt.

But some acts now like Drake and Beiber as soon as a new song is announced their hordes of fans all jump on it and there fan base is huger than Bastille.

Do you remember at school when you were young there was certain people who only liked 1 artist, these are the people screwing up the charts now. Imagine if we had streaming in 1988 Bros would have been number one for a year!! The more different music you like the less effect you have on the chart :(.

Don't get me wrong, I'm fully aware of how the charts were handled right up until New Music Friday came into force almost a year ago.

Maybe artists need to release a music video before releasing the song to iTunes and Spotify. It's like when people pre-ordered singles weeks in advance of release, I never understood the concept because an mp3 will always be there - unless removed from iTunes which rarely happens (except for singles getting deleted so people just download the single off the album instead).

I'm just surprised that since they introduced New Music Friday we've seen the number of entries inside the top 40 decrease. That's what puzzles me the most about the charts now.

If more new singles went top 10 on iTunes upon release, then that might have a knock on effect. We'd probably see these songs enter the top 40 (albeit lower down) but then climb up as its streaming increases with more exposure from radio/video airplay. Most new releases that go top 40 on iTunes don't even make the top 75 by the end of the week.

At the moment we're lucky if we even get 1 new entry in the top 40 which makes for such an exciting chart. When you see a load of non movers between 21-40 you know it's time to call it a day. :cry:
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are all kind of missing the point. You can rail against streaming being included in charts but streaming is how people now consume popular music. Why shouldn't charts reflect how audiences now consume music? Have the charts ever represented some ideal model of consumption where every artist has a fair chance of success?
    Forum Member
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    You are all kind of missing the point. You can rail against streaming being included in charts but streaming is how people now consume popular music. Why shouldn't charts reflect how audiences now consume music? Have the charts ever represented some ideal model of consumption where every artist has a fair chance of success?

No.

...but it was far more interesting to see where your favourite singles were charting each week.

Now it's a case of:

#40 - down 2 places
    #39 - non mover
    #38 - down 1
    #37 - down 1
    #36 - down 1
    #35 - down 1

**ad nauseam**

How on earth is THAT exciting?
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'll probably be at No.1 (whatever that is) for even longer now, as people on here try to find out what it is. Not because of me though; as soon as I saw the dreaded 'feat' in the title it was enough to eliminate any curiosity.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    I've never heard of it either.

Nor me, but then again I havent followed the charts since 1994.
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    It sounds like something Craig David would have done in 2000. This is now in the same league as songs like Bohemian Rhapsody, Mull Of Kintyre and I Will Always Love You. In fact its already beaten one of those by two weeks.

If this does go on to break the all time record of 16 weeks it will be a joke. Whether you like Bryan Adams song or not at least it did sell loads of records each week to keep it at number one.

Drake can't even do a Wet Wet Wet and get it deleted. Unless he gets it removed from all streaming sites after 15 weeks!