The Decline of Britney Spears

Comments

• Michael_KeatesMichael_Keates Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Always have and always will love Britney but she's not as good as she used to be, loving no the new single though. It's the best thing she's realised in a while.
  • rebellionrebellion Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fact she does very little promo doesn't help her chart positions etc. But you know Britney isn't bothered by that. She has said before that she doesn't feel the need to match past accomplishments and only does this now because she enjoys it and the fans want it.
  • Castle SaburacCastle Saburac Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    Everything Britney Spears has released in the last nine years sounds the same, every album and single merges into the next one. She's never evolved. She's been singing the same generic, autotuned, immature pop music since she was 16 years old. She can't even be bothered to sing live on tour or in her Vegas show.
    ritchie2yk wrote: »
    Does its chart placing really matter .......

Really ?

It does when you're Britney Spears. It's a music BUSINESS. It's all about making money for the record label. Her comeback (how many times can someone make a comeback?!) has been hyped up by her fans and her management. The new single should be doing better than it is.
    I don't agree with this. I don't understand why everyone classes 1999-2004 as her high point. 'Oops I Did It Again' is an embarrassment of a song, as was most of the Oops era, Lucky etc. Slave 4 U was great but we got the cringeworthy 'Not a girl, Not yet a Woman' and Boys. Blackout was when she started becoming more credible, and more accessible to the general public rather than specifically appealing to gays and teenage girls. I think Blackout - Femme Fatale was her peak. I liked Britney Jean but most people consider that a low point.

Britney Spears has never been credible. Never has, never will.
    Britney's peak was definitely 1999-2004 but she has had good music since. Blackout is still her best album and has been critically acclaimed, but her personal life unfortunately overshadowed it. Circus and Femme Fatale are also decent albums, though FF gets boring after a while. Britney Jean wasn't great but it had a few decent songs on it (Work Bitch, Alien, Passenger, Don't Cry, Brightest Morning Star and Hold On Tight are my favourites from it) and Pretty Girls was awful. However her cover of Tom's Diner was really good and was popular with the fanbase. Make Me is good apart from the rap and I loved the snippet of Private Show from her new perfume commercial.

Blackout isn't critically acclaimed, the reviews are good, that's all. The way you fans drone on anyone would think it's a deep, profound album, it's as generic as everything else she has released in her career.

Feels like the crowd is saying
    Gimme, Gimme more
    Gimme, More
    Gimme, Gimme, More
    Gimme, Gimme more
    Gimme, More
    Gimme, Gimme, More
    Gimme, Gimme more
    Gimme, More
    Gimme, Gimme, More
    Gimme, Gimme more
    Gimme, More
    Gimme, Gimme, More

Lyrical genius.
    I have high hopes for the new album now.

That isn't saying much.
  • Special AppearanceSpecial Appearance Posts: 8,013
    Forum Member
    Britney Spears has never been credible. Never has, never will.

Just because you dislike her doesn't mean she isn't credible. Someone doesn't get 9 albums into their career if they have nothing going for them.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Blackout isn't critically acclaimed, the reviews are good, that's all. The way you fans drone on anyone would think it's a deep, profound album, it's as generic as everything else she has released in her career.

What does that matter though? It's pop music, it's meant to be fun and entertaining and not deep and profound. I would sooner listen to Britney and other entertaining pop acts than whiny boys with guitars bands and singers with 'deep' or political lyrics which in my opinion can come across as downright miserable. I personally don't care about the lyrics except if I'm singing along in public or around college as I don't want other people or lecturers to hear me singing, particularly if the lyrics are, shall we say, a bit raunchy :D
    Forum Member
    What does that matter though? It's pop music, it's meant to be fun and entertaining and not deep and profound. I would sooner listen to Britney and other entertaining pop acts than whiny boys with guitars bands and singers with 'deep' or political lyrics which in my opinion can come across as downright miserable.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Britney has self-awareness and knows what she is. These whiny guitar boys think they're so much better than they are.

And still, some of the lyrics on Blackout are good. Piece of Me for one, Break the Ice for another.
  • edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't really see any decline tbh.
  • mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    she does less dancing,but the same amount of miming - so I guess that's a decline,of sorts
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,265
    Forum Member

Feels like the crowd is saying
    Gimme, Gimme more
    Gimme, More
    Gimme, Gimme, More
    Gimme, Gimme more
    Gimme, More
    Gimme, Gimme, More
    Gimme, Gimme more
    Gimme, More
    Gimme, Gimme, More
    Gimme, Gimme more
    Gimme, More
    Gimme, Gimme, More

Lyrical genius.

That isn't saying much.

Neither are you going with this as some kind of proof. There are heaps of songs, things far better than anything Britney has ever released that have highly repetitive choruses.

We all live in a yellow submarine
    Yellow submarine
    Yellow submarine
    We all live in a yellow submarine
    Yellow submarine
    Yellow submarine
  • LindaDanversLindaDanvers Posts: 141
    Forum Member
    rebellion wrote: »
    The fact she does very little promo doesn't help her chart positions etc. But you know Britney isn't bothered by that. She has said before that she doesn't feel the need to match past accomplishments and only does this now because she enjoys it and the fans want it.

I find her attitude here very, very refreshing.

People on Digital Spy seem ridiculously obsessed with chart positions and record sales. I get wanting your favourites to do well and being disappointed but some take the obsession to really immature and silly levels.
  • drakhendrakhen Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a soft spot for Britney, but to describe Blackout as critically acclaimed is reaching. It basically got better reviews than her other albums, but that isn't saying much since nearly all of her albums are basically the singles with a lot of filler.
  • LindaDanversLindaDanvers Posts: 141
    Forum Member
    Personally I think Blackout is by far one of her strongest albums. Didn't that album help to make dubstep a chart trend for the next few years?
    Forum Member
    Personally I think Blackout is by far one of her strongest albums. Didn't that album help to make dubstep a chart trend for the next few years?

Yep, and Britney continued this with Femme Fatale in Hold it Against Me and Seal It With a Kiss. :) A lot of people credit Rihanna wit this but it's not true.
  • Nikelodeon81Nikelodeon81 Posts: 3,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her peak was the karaoke video for Toxic. Wow.
    Forum Member
    Couldn't have said it better myself. Britney has self-awareness and knows what she is. These whiny guitar boys think they're so much better than they are.

And still, some of the lyrics on Blackout are good. Piece of Me for one, Break the Ice for another.

Exactly. Those sorts of bands come across as pretentious. It really gets on my nerves. And are their lyrics any better? Take Scouting For Girls' She's So Lovely as an example. This is the whole chorus:

She's so lovely
    She's so lovely
    She's so lovely
    She's so lovely
    She's so lovely
    She's so lovely
    She's so lovely
    She's so lovely
    She's so lovely

If that isn't repetitive then I don't know what is :p Britney's lyrics are better than that IMO. I know there are plenty of those bands out there but I just took that as an example of repetitive lyrics. Piece of Me and Why Should I Be Sad and Britney's most personal songs on Blackout as they're about her personal life. POM the song is sometimes regarded as one of the biggest diss songs of 2007.
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surprised no one's mentioned:

Work work work work work work,
    He say me haffi work work work work work work,
    He see me do me dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt,
    So me put in work work work work work work,
    Ner ner ner ner ner ner,
    When you ah guh learn learn learn learn learn learn
    Before the tables turn turn turn turn turn turn

I don't see how picking out one song's lyrics can prove any sort of argument. I don't like Britney but that argument is ridiculous.
  • Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the gap from 2004 to 2007 damaged her.

Before that everything she touched turned to gold.
  • starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    This is funny, the link in the OP still works

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=23415
    Forum Member
    This is funny, the link in the OP still works

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=23415

Haha, thanks for that :D
  • dellzinchtdellzincht Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'd say Femme Fatale did that really, dubstep wasn't mainstream in 2007.

'Radar' is one of my favourite Britney songs.
    Forum Member
    dellzincht wrote: »
    I'd say Femme Fatale did that really, dubstep wasn't mainstream in 2007.

Blackout is probably the earliest example of Dubstep making it into a mainstream artist's work though. Freakshow especially.
  • Ally_BowieAlly_Bowie Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to admit, I really like the new single, it's not groundbreaking by any means, but for me it's up there with Break The Ice, which is personally my favorite Britney record.
    Forum Member
    Luner13 wrote: »
    I think the gap from 2004 to 2007 damaged her.

Before that everything she touched turned to gold.

I think so. The events of that time also turned the public against her and they regarded her as 'crazy'. What also didn't help was the rise of Beyonce and Rihanna, amongst others, and pop music losing popularity during that time of the 00s because of boys with guitars bands becoming 'trendy'.
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly. Those sorts of bands come across as pretentious. It really gets on my nerves. And are their lyrics any better? Take Scouting For Girls' She's So Lovely as an example. This is the whole chorus:

She's so lovely
    She's so lovely
    She's so lovely
    She's so lovely
    She's so lovely
    She's so lovely
    She's so lovely
    She's so lovely
    She's so lovely

If that isn't repetitive then I don't know what is :p Britney's lyrics are better than that IMO. I know there are plenty of those bands out there but I just took that as an example of repetitive lyrics. Piece of Me and Why Should I Be Sad and Britney's most personal songs on Blackout as they're about her personal life. POM the song is sometimes regarded as one of the biggest diss songs of 2007.

For an embarrasingly long time I thought the chorus was "she's slovenly"
    Forum Member
    For an embarrasingly long time I thought the chorus was "she's slovenly"

At least it proves, as I always suspected, that these pretentious guitar boys are nowhere near better than the often slated, but talented, pop artists, who ignorant fellow love slagging off.