Is Big Brother Fake?

I just read this:

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/bigbrother/view/43929/Fakin-Hell

I remember when I used to work and with producers as well, I've always been in pub conversations about how they manipulate events and costruct scenarios to give what they assume, the audience want.

Other events I've read about are how when the cameras are in one location, elsewhere producers will enter the confines of a reality TV scenario and talk to house mates on consecutive events.

I do believe there are people completely desperate enough to do anything for some money and as much as people want to fall into the world of Big Brother being real - I always find that so much of the show and the relationships and interactions were not real.

Comments

• quasimoronquasimoron Posts: 20,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember Hm,s from BB 6 saying they were offered money to do certain things. I don't doubt for one minute and with ratings, jobs and big money involved, that things are not left to unfold naturally.It also causes paranoia, they all know that things are said in the Dr.I reckon Sylvia was told to clock on to him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beer wrote: »
    I just read this:

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/bigbrother/view/43929/Fakin-Hell

I remember when I used to work and with producers as well, I've always been in pub conversations about how they manipulate events and costruct scenarios to give what they assume, the audience want.

I would say there are some half truths in what Sylvia reportedly said. I would imagine she was told not to talk about knowing Stu, but this could be no more than what we know already, that the HMs are not allowed to talk about the audition process or test runs, etc.

From what I remember of that night, I think her claim that she was called into the DR as soon as he entered was a lie. I don't think she was called in until a long time after Stu arrived, after she had bathed with him, etc.

As for Stu being told that his best chance of winning was to have a relationship, well again, I would imagine this is common knowledge and part of their talk of doom - i.e. If you think you are going to make money off the back of the show, you are probably mistaken as the only ones to make a lot of cash is those who have some sort of relationship, fake or otherwise.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure there is some stuff that goes on that we do not know about in the DR, but I don't think it is as overt as that report tries to make it out to be. If it were, we would have heard far more positive proof by now.
    Other events I've read about are how when the cameras are in one location, elsewhere producers will enter the confines of a reality TV scenario and talk to house mates on consecutive events.

Whilst this happens on other reality shows, I don't think it does on our BB. If it did, the HMs wouldn't be able to keep quiet about it whilst in the house. There have been several times when there have been power cuts, and other things happen to cause the LF to go down, etc. yet when they come back on, you eventually hear the HMs talk about what happened, and what BB told them.

You don't always get the exact details, like this year when there was a security scare, but you do hear that 'somthing' happened.

On other shows, like BB US, you often hear the actual details. I'm not sure now as I haven't watched the LF since series 4, but in the earlier series you even heard BB instruct the HMs on what they wanted them to do, what would be happening, etc.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    quasimoron wrote: »
    I remember Hm,s from BB 6 saying they were offered money to do certain things. I don't doubt for one minute and with ratings, jobs and big money involved, that things are not left to unfold naturally.It also causes paranoia, they all know that things are said in the Dr.I reckon Sylvia was told to clock on to him.

I have at times felt a large part of it is completely orchestrated. This is because, I've seen a lot of production and events where people are left to their own devices, they just let things fly by and let time take it's course.

In Big Brother you have ridiculous events and real personality, true character never really comes out e.g. it appears as though they are following a script rather than being themselves.
  • moggiesroolmoggiesrool Posts: 776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont doubt there is an element of this.

It does beg the question why Sylvia - who has been out of the house for a very long time now - suddenly comes out with this now the wrap party is over etc?

She is clearly unhappy at not getting enough media attention. she came over as a highly jealous female (can't say lady, as any self respecting lady would not have behaved in the manner she did).

I suspect this sudden urge to reveal all is more to do with her realising other housemates are enjoying more success than her after the show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does beg the question why Sylvia - who has been out of the house for a very long time now - suddenly comes out with this now the wrap party is over etc?

She didn't. Date of article: 13th July 2008
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She is clearly unhappy at not getting enough media attention. she came over as a highly jealous female (can't say lady, as any self respecting lady would not have behaved in the manner she did).

I suspect this sudden urge to reveal all is more to do with her realising other housemates are enjoying more success than her after the show.

This article was released just after she left the house.
  • thrupencethrupence Posts: 242
    Forum Member

The article is from the 13th of July so not just after the wrap party ect
  • moggiesroolmoggiesrool Posts: 776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does beg the question why Sylvia - who has been out of the house for a very long time now - suddenly comes out with this now the wrap party is over etc?[/QUOTE}

She didn't. Date of article: 13th July 2008
    Goonkad wrote: »
    This article was released just after she left the house.
    thrupence wrote: »
    The article is from the 13th of July so not just after the wrap party ect

**hangs head in shame**.... oops. didnt pay attention to the obvious! sorry! :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have at times felt a large part of it is completely orchestrated. This is because, I've seen a lot of production and events where people are left to their own devices, they just let things fly by and let time take it's course.

In Big Brother you have ridiculous events and real personality, true character never really comes out e.g. it appears as though they are following a script rather than being themselves.

Remember the night, Rex and Darnell were discussing how they were being portrayed and what character they were. It was exactly how they were shown.Darnell poor me and rex rude and obnoxious.They seemed to know exactly how they were perceived, interesting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The thing is, you get this naturally as they aren't being themselves. They never shower/bath get dressed/undressed without covering themselves up. They are discouraged from singing in the house. They know not to talk about certain aspects of their lives, either for reasons of privacy, or in order to sell their 'story' at a later date. They won't respond to certain events the way they would normally because it might get them nominated, or the public might not like it and vote them out/boo them. Or they act in a way they normally wouldn't as they know it will get 'airtime'. Etc., etc..

This is why you end up with a house full of people who rarely actually say anything about themselves, and only talk about things that have happened within the confines of the house itself. It's gotten worse and worse as the show has gone on. And that's with no overt interferance by BB.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember the night, Rex and Darnell were discussing how they were being portrayed and what character they were. It was exactly how they were shown.Darnell poor me and rex rude and obnoxious.They seemed to know exactly how they were perceived, interesting.

Yeah, sometimes when they said things it was like exactly like a personality/character they were expressing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing is, you get this naturally as they aren't being themselves. They never shower/bath get dressed/undressed without covering themselves up. They are discouraged from singing in the house. They know not to talk about certain aspects of their lives, either for reasons of privacy, or in order to sell their 'story' at a later date. They won't respond to certain events the way they would normally because it might get them nominated, or the public might not like it and vote them out/boo them. Or they act in a way they normally wouldn't as they know it will get 'airtime'. Etc., etc..

This is why you end up with a house full of people who rarely actually say anything about themselves, and only talk about things that have happened within the confines of the house itself. It's gotten worse and worse as the show has gone on. And that's with no overt interferance by BB.

True it is a unnatural environment, full of pressure and manipulation.We forget that all the time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

LOL, it wouldn't exactly take a genious to work that out though would it? Not only did they say it about themselves, but other HMs had been saying it about them too. ;)
  • pixiebootspixieboots Posts: 3,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are discouraged from singing in the house. They know not to talk about certain aspects of their lives, either for reasons of privacy, or in order to sell their 'story' at a later date. They won't respond to certain events the way they would normally because it might get them nominated, or the public might not like it and vote them out/boo them. Or they act in a way they normally wouldn't as they know it will get 'airtime'. Etc., etc..

Absolutely, but I do think BB select certain Hms for storylines and then those HMs are "encouraged" by BB to behave in ways that develop those storylines, character traits that may be a minor side to a HM in RL become amplified with subtle hints from BB so I suppose that BB is indeed fake to some degree nowadays. I too was suspicious that the HMs seemed to "guess" extremely accurately at times as to how they were being portrayed.
  • HayfeverHayfever Posts: 1,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this article is actually spot on. Sylvia was called into diary room very soon after Stu arrived & she told the other housemates she couldn't talk about it. All on l/f. Apparently Sylvia had been discussing Stu with Jen in the two weeks prior which was why there was such a reaction from them both when he arrived. The producers had been listening no doubt & decided to get him on show. Stu was never going to go with Sylvia though as he knew she wasn't popular. I'm convinced (& said so at the time) Stu has told about Jen so that he could 'play' her in terms of being her soulmate. I do agree with Sylvia Stu was the most fake of any of the housemates this year. He had a personality change when Jen left as he worried he wasn't popular - so many fell for it. As for wanting to go to see his daughter - never in a million years. His reaction when he was evited was a BB classic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    Yeah stu's daughter ramblings were shit, he didn't see her for like another week due to bblb etc :P
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not surprised at these "revelations", tbh. When Stu came in, Sylvia was all over him and all the HM's noticed. Most of the LF was being cut because of so much talk from HM's about dry-runs and auditions processes. Stu and Sylvia didn't even "get it on" at that stage according to LaineyK so her reaction was weird, OTT and may have taken the producers by surprise.

If they were going to make them "act" it, there would never be a dull show and BB4/8 would never have happened.

The triangle didn't need much direction. The storyline made itself because he was like a bigger version of Dale but also had a young daughter in common with Jen.
  • TironTiron Posts: 8,080
    Forum Member
    Interesting.

Anyway, all I know now is, big brother ain't getting a penny from me next year re voting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All Television is fake, even Reality Television!
  • tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm the Sylvia not meant to be knowing Stuart is predictable they would say something, but wasn't the fact they put him in the first place because there was something between him and Sylvia? Did BB expect them to pretend a spontaneous attraction?

The rest if it's true is disappointing. It does seem in a way that Rex and Darnell were clued up over public response to their behaviour. It sort of removes part of the appeal of BB if stuff like this is done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put it this way...I don't think the DR is there just for the benefit of the HMs.
  • LARulzLARulz Posts: 34,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It probably is true
  • linnyloulinnylou Posts: 18,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    I'm not surprised at these "revelations", tbh. When Stu came in, Sylvia was all over him and all the HM's noticed. Most of the LF was being cut because of so much talk from HM's about dry-runs and auditions processes. Stu and Sylvia didn't even "get it on" at that stage according to LaineyK so her reaction was weird, OTT and may have taken the producers by surprise.

If they were going to make them "act" it, there would never be a dull show and BB4/8 would never have happened.

The triangle didn't need much direction. The storyline made itself because he was like a bigger version of Dale but also had a young daughter in common with Jen.[/QUOTE]

Yup, that, and that he was her 'ideal' man, cos of his long eyelashes....and, er, that's all I can remember on her list of ideals in a man! :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Totally fake.

HMs are chosen to play set roles in the house and scenarios and storylines developed. They are given secret 'tasks' and told in some cases exactly what to do.

You didn't think they'd leave anything to chance?
  • beast1982beast1982 Posts: 5,350
    Forum Member
    Most of the (bb) Star stories this week have been completely untrue. I read one in the shop yesterday and shouted thats such a lie! I can categorically say that housemates were not told what to do in that house - this series more than any other, they were given free reign.
    What Sylvia has said in this story (and again, it may be the star not her) is not true. In the trial run they did not share a bed and were not especially close at all.

It doesnt take Einstein to work out those in "relationships" tend to earn the most money post BB