Nexus 10 Pogo Charger

Hi,

I got a Nexus 10 for christmas and am wondering if anyone knew anything about whether there have been any announcements about the Pogo charger that plugs in the bottom of the Nexus 10?

Thanks,

Comments

• RoushRoush Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing official. An unofficial one appeared on eBay from a Korean seller a couple of weeks ago, but disappeared again soon after.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    The 'ecosystem' for both the Nexus tablets has been pretty crap, so far.

Google should have pulled their finger out a long time ago.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    Eston Bleu wrote: »
    The 'ecosystem' for both the Nexus tablets has been pretty crap, so far.

Google should have pulled their finger out a long time ago.

Ive had pogo pins on my Galaxy Nexus for over a year now and never found a decent use for them .....

Im guessing they are all part of a master plan that hasnt yet surfaced ..... I do think there were some car docks that used them.

Im not quite sure what ecosystem you want for a tablet though ?
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    Ive had pogo pins on my Galaxy Nexus for over a year now and never found a decent use for them .....

Im guessing they are all part of a master plan that hasnt yet surfaced ..... I do think there were some car docks that used them.

Im not quite sure what ecosystem you want for a tablet though ?

I’m assuming he means he wants more dedicated Tablet specific apps rather than phone apps made larger or games with graphics that are just stretched to fit the screen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    I’m assuming he means he wants more dedicated Tablet specific apps rather than phone apps made larger or games with graphics that are just stretched to fit the screen.

Surely thats an Apple view, Android tablet specific applications would be unncessary when used with the fragment api which allows each device to manage its screen real estate without worrying about whether its a tablet/phone? Given the rise in large screen sizes it looks like a good design decision to me.
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rosetech wrote: »
    Surely thats an Apple view, Android tablet specific applications would be unncessary when used with the fragment api which allows each device to manage its screen real estate without worrying about whether its a tablet/phone? Given the rise in large screen sizes it looks like a good design decision to me.

Strange view to take, especially as Google now actually encourage Android developers to think about tablets differently when designing user interfaces.

"Stretchy-UI" is fine for adjusting user interfaces to screens roughly the same sort of size as they were designed on, and it's a good idea when used in that context, but it's a double-edged sword and some developers don't see the need to optimise their apps for tablets as a result, but properly optimising UI design for larger screens on tablets can provide a much more engaging user experience.

I don't think that's the point Eston Bleu was making though. I think his comments were aimed more at the lack of official accessories for the Nexus range.
  • flynnflynn Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Fragment API isn't just about stretching the UI. Android has for some time allowed an app to detect screen resolution and pixel density and change the UI accordingly - the same app can have a completely different UI depending on if it's on a 4" phone, 7" tablet, or ultra high res 10" tablet, without having to have a separate "tablet" app. The gmail app is a good example - the same app, but has different UI's on my Nexus 4 and 10.

That said - you're right, the OP was about hardware accessories, not software. And I have to agree, I'm impatiently awaiting the dock for the 10, and the wireless charger for the 4.

Stuart_H - I know there's an official Samsung car dock for the Galaxy Nexus, that uses the pins. That's about it as far as I'm aware though...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    alan1302 wrote: »

Not talking about apps at all - it's the accessory ecosystem that's woeful for the new Nexus devices.

That said, there is a Nexus 7 dock - using the pogo pins - coming out in a week or so: Nexus 7 dock.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eston Bleu wrote: »
    Not talking about apps at all - it's the accessory ecosystem that's woeful for the new Nexus devices.

That said, there is a Nexus 7 dock - using the pogo pins - coming out in a week or so: Nexus 7 dock.

After being out of stock for ages, the Nexus 7 dock is available again: https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_7_Dock?id=nexus_7_dock&hl=en

£25 + postage does seem to be a lot of money for what is basically a lump of plastic connected to the mains.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Certainly is a rip off price