o2 LTE speeds

13»

Comments

• Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did a quick speed test today. I happened to glance down at my phone and see the 4G symbol whilst I was out, up until then I didn't even know if it had been activated or not. On the text I got 18 down and 3 up. Will have to do more tests whilst I am out and about in London over the next week or so to see how fast and stable the connection is.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    natbike wrote: »
    I guess sales people will say anything to place themselves above the competition, factual or not.

Yup. And that's why (sorry this is going to be ranty) i have a dislike of Mobile retail store staff in general. They'll lie through their teeth in order to get a sale or to prove they're the best. It's funny how much they don't actually know despite it being their job. And seriously, i'm talking about the absolute basics here.

I've been told all sorts of things by store staff which i know are just absolute lies. Same applies to a lot of industries tbh. That's the reason i do all my own research now rather than trusting someone paid by the company to sell to me.

Anyway, i have a friend in Windsor who got 4G from O2 and he's seen around 40-50mbps peak on his S4. Says it's really fast for youtube with no to minimal buffering. Ping is around 40ms. (this is in slough btw)
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Yup. And that's why (sorry this is going to be ranty) i have a dislike of Mobile retail store staff in general. They'll lie through their teeth in order to get a sale or to prove they're the best. It's funny how much they don't actually know despite it being their job. And seriously, i'm talking about the absolute basics here.

I've been told all sorts of things by store staff which i know are just absolute lies. Same applies to a lot of industries tbh. That's the reason i do all my own research now rather than trusting someone paid by the company to sell to me.

Anyway, i have a friend in Windsor who got 4G from O2 and he's seen around 40-50mbps peak on his S4. Says it's really fast for youtube with no to minimal buffering. Ping is around 40ms.

Very nice speeds lets be honest people only really need 20-30mbs consistent speeds.
  • sethpetsethpet Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    Saw on twitter that Newbury was switched on for Voda, so took a drive up and sure enough there was a Vodafone 4G signal in places.

i did one speed test while sat at traffic lights on robin hood roundabout.

dl:27 ul:14 ping:73
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sethpet wrote: »
    Saw on twitter that Newbury was switched on for Voda, so took a drive up and sure enough there was a Vodafone 4G signal in places.

i did one speed test while sat at traffic lights on robin hood roundabout.

dl:27 ul:14 ping:73

Not bad if that is consistent as there is about max you can get on 3G but isn't consistent. Ping is a bit high though. If that is the sort of speeds we likely going get across entire country I'm going have to seriously consider vodafone.
  • sethpetsethpet Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    enapace wrote: »
    Not bad if that is consistent as there is about max you can get on 3G but isn't consistent. Ping is a bit high though. If that is the sort of speeds we likely going get across entire country I'm going have to seriously consider vodafone.

coverage was very patchy which might account for the high ping
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sethpet wrote: »
    coverage was very patchy which might account for the high ping

Ah that makes sense I do want Vodafone and O2 to succeed as it would be nice have a network where you would always have a solid connection indoors. I know EE and Three aren't going be as consistent indoors but will likely have the speed advantage. But then you have to consider is speed advantage really that important when you talking about anything higher than 20-30mbs unless you doing tethering and then only Three are going be useful for that.
  • beecartbeecart Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone got any speed test results yet for O2 LTE (or even Voda) ?
  • japauljapaul Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some early speed comparisons from Rootmetrics covering 4G in London from O2/Voda/EE.

http://recombu.com/digital/news/ee-o2-vodafone-4g-mobile-beats-fixed-line-average-speed_M12164.html

EE top for speed no doubt due to it's double speed although Rootmetrics at least seem to be impressed with Voda/O2 coverage particularly indoor.

4G Only Average download speed:
    EE: 29.6
    O2: 23.3
    Vod: 20.8

3G/4G Blended Average:
    EE: 22.7
    O2: 16.3
    Vod: 16.2