Katy Perry - what is going on with her???

Steve_HarrimanSteve_Harriman Posts: 1,115
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am shocked to see that another one of her singles is flopping. " This is how we do" has been around for three weeks now in the uk charts and it still hasn't made the top 40. It is shooting up each week granted but it needs to do a hell of lot better then it is doing. If this single needs to be at least top 20 for it not to be classed as a flop. It is a great single choice and by rights it should be top ten. Once again there seems to be no promotion for the single other then the vid. She is in real danger off having 3 flops from the " Prism" album. I know she is now on her 5th single from the album but her singles seem to be flopping where her singles from " Teenage Dream" all performed well,

what is going on???

Comments

• xKatieLxxKatieLx Posts: 4,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The album has been out for a while and has been successful. The song isn't her best but that said it does get catchy after a few listens and the twerking ice cream is awesome. She's by no means flopping.
  • Steve_HarrimanSteve_Harriman Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xKatieLx wrote: »
    The album has been out for a while and has been successful. The song isn't her best but that said it does get catchy after a few listens and the twerking ice cream is awesome. She's by no means flopping.

Yeah I know the album has been around for almost a year and 5th singles don't normally do well but it is in real danger of not even making the Top 40 which is a shock. The song is the perfect choice as a single and it is one which I highlighted as a single when the album was released . I know it is all about the album sales these days and of course Prism has done brilliant but the singles from it have not apart from Roar and Dark Horse. She needs to release LL or/and Walking on Air as these two are different sounds and will be big hits and breath even more life in to the album.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because it's easily one of the worst songs on the album.

#JusticeForWalkingOnAir
  • Steve_HarrimanSteve_Harriman Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »

#JusticeForWalkingOnAir

no it is not
  • Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,275
    Forum Member
    AdzPower wrote: »

#JusticeForWalkingOnAir

+1

Back when it was announced I was like, eh what song on the album is this?... and then it dawned on me it was one of the ones I'd deleted from my ipod. :kitty:
  • Rob1985Rob1985 Posts: 5,193
    Forum Member
    It's a dreadful mess.
  • HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    Terrible choice of single, as was Unconditionally. Just because it's Katy Perry doesn't mean she's guaranteed a top 20 hit just because of who she is.

The song is crap and it's getting the chart success it deserves.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its not a great choice but the album has sold well & had 2 of the biggest songs of the last 12 months. Ultimately who cares if the 5th single flops??
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Her or her label have not chosen the best singles for this era. It's no wonder she has only had two huge hits because they are the only two best songs she has released.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    Its not a great choice but the album has sold well & had 2 of the biggest songs of the last 12 months. Ultimately who cares if the 5th single flops??

People will care when the fifth single from her last album was a hit. The fact she had hit after hit from her last album will forever be something fans and critics will expect from her again and again.
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a poor single choice, hopefully Walking On Air will be next and she'll actually come over and promote, she could probably get an X Factor slot if she wanted.
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think walking on air should be a single. it's a track to which i'd like a lot of good remixes. it has a great 80s or early 90s house music vibe. i like this is how we do, but it's not as catchy as her previous stuff. i think the album overall is great for a pop album. i think sometimes artists have a period where they are very popular, but then people move onto the next new thing, but i'm not sure who that may be
  • NicoleRichNicoleRich Posts: 2,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The general public are finally waking up and aren't buying her generic singles.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think anything is "going on" with her, I just don't think it's a very good song.
  • asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    People will care when the fifth single from her last album was a hit. The fact she had hit after hit from her last album will forever be something fans and critics will expect from her again and again.

No they don't care , the album has been out nearly a year and was a massive seller and this is the 5th single . Not many artists continue to release single after single when the album did so well .
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You need to remember that what happened with her last album was very rare. It was extremely successful and every single went to number one. She was never going to repeat that success with this current album...it just wasn't going to happen. I'm not a fan of her, but she's done very well this era. Definitely not a flop in any way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    The song isn't singleworthy.
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its no big deal, this is no big deal.
  • d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    The chorus is catchy, but I find all the talking bits a bit weird. I agree with others that she should have gone with Walking On Air.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simple rubbish song easily the weakest on the album and plain should not have been released. She has no one to blame but herself in this one. At least prism has sold well and unlike other female performers is still charting and selling.
  • Carly_ThompsonCarly_Thompson Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's had plenty of success this time around still. Her third album was more artistic and experimental, which I think Katy really wanted to do. I suspect her next album will head back in the direction of pure pop though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    asyousay wrote: »
    No they don't care , the album has been out nearly a year and was a massive seller and this is the 5th single . Not many artists continue to release single after single when the album did so well .

People do care because people are quick to compare what one era's success is to another. It's not how i feel, it's how some others feel and are quick to point out and criticise her for not being able to do it. Like someone said above, what she achieved with Teenage dream was rare with one hit after another and that is something i think clouded her prior to the release and throughout this era.

and let's be honest. Prism wasn't a massive seller . It has sold about 3 million copies which is very good and has outsold a lot of other female artists albums (gaga, miley, britney) but a massive seller it wasn't.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,989
    Forum Member
    People do care because people are quick to compare what one era's success is to another. It's not how i feel, it's how some others feel and are quick to point out and criticise her for not being able to do it. Like someone said above, what she achieved with Teenage dream was rare with one hit after another and that is something i think clouded her prior to the release and throughout this era.

and let's be honest. Prism wasn't a massive seller . It has sold about 3 million copies which is very good and has outsold a lot of other female artists albums (gaga, miley, britney) but a massive seller it wasn't.

I do think that she would have been very lucky to repeat the success of "Teenage Dream". It was also helped along by the re-release.

I do like Prism but "This Is How We Do" wasn't an instant favourite of mine on the album. It took a while to grow on me. The fans have been calling for ""Walking On Air" to be released. Maybe she's holding that back as the final single.
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    I do think that she would have been very lucky to repeat the success of "Teenage Dream". It was also helped along by the re-release.

I do like Prism but "This Is How We Do" wasn't an instant favourite of mine on the album. It took a while to grow on me. The fans have been calling for ""Walking On Air" to be released. Maybe she's holding that back as the final single.

this is how we do and walking on air were two of the tracks that jumped out at me when I heard the album. she could be holding back walking on air so the last single to be released from the album isn't the worst, but one of the best, but as that track just screams out for piles of remixes it should have been one of the first singles
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,989
    Forum Member
    unique wrote: »
    this is how we do and walking on air were two of the tracks that jumped out at me when I heard the album. she could be holding back walking on air so the last single to be released from the album isn't the worst, but one of the best, but as that track just screams out for piles of remixes it should have been one of the first singles

I'm no fan of remixes as I don't see the point in them but it does sound like a song that would have a lot of remixes.