Digital camera, wrong date, can you change the photo dates?

FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
Forum Member
✭✭
The thread title sums it up.

I imported some photos taken this week from our digital camera and the creation dates were reading as 1/1/2012. Checked the cameras date and low and behold, the date had reset.

Is there any way to reset the creation dates in the metadata so their creation dates are more or less right? The reason I want to do so is because they appear in the photo library (on a Mac) back in 2012 so are in the middle of old photos. So alternatively, getting them to show in the right place in the library (date order).

Much thanks if anyone knows :)

Eta: just noticed I posted this in GD, could have sworn I went into the right forum. Sorry. 😁

Comments

• Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    In windows you just right-click the picture, click "properties", click the "details" tab and then you should be able to edit all the metadata, including the date.
    No idea about those Fruity computers though.

If all else fails, could you not just create copies of the pictures then delete the originals?
    That way, the creation date of the copies should be today.
  • ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Use ExifTool if you are handy with the command line.

If you would prefer a GUI based thing, just search for some sort of exif editor and there are likely to be plenty of them.
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    In windows you just right-click the picture, click "properties", click the "details" tab and then you should be able to edit all the metadata, including the date.
    No idea about those Fruity computers though.

If all else fails, could you not just create copies of the pictures then delete the originals?
    That way, the creation date of the copies should be today.

ba_baracus wrote: »
    Use ExifTool if you are handy with the command line.

If you would prefer a GUI based thing, just search for some sort of exif editor and there are likely to be plenty of them.

Thanks for the replies :)

Well I changed the date on one of the photos but it still appears as 2012 in the library (the photos group by date even though selecting photo info had the now correct date), which is weird.

So I deleted them, plugged the camera into the PC, changed the dates directly on the device storage, reimported on the mac and it worked.

So thanks, you gave me the nudge in the right direction :)