Options

Southern Electric key meter

2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
Forum Member
Does anyone know anything about these? our neighbour has gone away and asked us to top up her electricif it goes low, we looked last night and it said £1.99 on the display,and this morning it says £1.36 so we thought we better top it up. We inserted the stick and it said' token accepted' but the display still says the same amount, £1.36.

There is a blue button top right of the meter and when pressed, scrolls through al sorts of different amounts, but it still goes back to the £1.36 amount. We have no idea how to use these machines and wondered if anyone could help us out as regards to what happened ot the £5.00 she said was on the stick? she is back tomorrow but we would hate for it to run out and her fridge defrost or something.

I thought about putting another couple of pounds on the stick, but we dont really want to do that unless we have to, her fiver just seems to have disappeared, we tried inserting the stick again, but nothing happens.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 339
    Forum Member
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Does anyone know anything about these? our neighbour has gone away and asked us to top up her electricif it goes low, we looked last night and it said £1.99 on the display,and this morning it says £1.36 so we thought we better top it up. We inserted the stick and it said' token accepted' but the display still says the same amount, £1.36.

There is a blue button top right of the meter and when pressed, scrolls through al sorts of different amounts, but it still goes back to the £1.36 amount. We have no idea how to use these machines and wondered if anyone could help us out as regards to what happened ot the £5.00 she said was on the stick? she is back tomorrow but we would hate for it to run out and her fridge defrost or something.

I thought about putting another couple of pounds on the stick, but we dont really want to do that unless we have to, her fiver just seems to have disappeared, we tried inserting the stick again, but nothing happens.

Was she maybe running on emergency credit? That maybe the fiver you put on it may have gone back on to that? Thats how my meter works....might be the same
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Was she maybe running on emergency credit? That maybe the fiver you put on it may have gone back on to that? Thats how my meter works....might be the same

Oh, she may have been , she didnt say though, so it will take the fiver and be back to square one? so I presume the emergency will cut back in if the £1.36 goes before she gets back?. I will look at it again later and see if it has run out. thanks for the reply.
  • Options
    KaylanKaylan Posts: 1,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The emergency credit will not activate until you are below a pound.

You will still need to insert the key once it has dipped below a pound of credit.

This is of course is assuming that the emergency credit has not already been activated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OK thanks, I will stick it in again a little later , see what happens.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On my meter the emergency cannot be activated until the balance drops below 50p.