Wireless USB

TheMaskTheMask Posts: 10,219
Forum Member
✭✭
Buying one of these for the tv off E-Bay. Seller has just contacted me saying they have no cd-roms in stock

Im slightly confused...I thought these wireless USB sticks didnt need a cd-rom

Comments

• cockneycockney Posts: 1,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the official LG one for my 55LM620T & it was just basically a plug & play, all i had to do was plug it in & set up the wireless connection which took 2 minutes :)
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheMask wrote: »
    Buying one of these for the tv off E-Bay. Seller has just contacted me saying they have no cd-roms in stock

Im slightly confused...I thought these wireless USB sticks didnt need a cd-rom
    If it is a generic USB WiFi dongle then be aware that it might not work with your TV. The TV will have built in drivers for any such device that cannot be changed easily. Certainly not by any CD full of drivers!

And if the built in drivers of the TV do not match the brand of dongle you have bought then you are stuffed. And of course does the TV have USB WiFi capabilities in the first place? If it doesn't then you are even more stuffed.
  • TheMaskTheMask Posts: 10,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    If it is a generic USB WiFi dongle then be aware that it might not work with your TV. The TV will have built in drivers for any such device that cannot be changed easily. Certainly not by any CD full of drivers!

And if the built in drivers of the TV do not match the brand of dongle you have bought then you are stuffed. And of course does the TV have USB WiFi capabilities in the first place? If it doesn't then you are even more stuffed.

I have ordered the exact one for my tv..correct make and part number but the seller is confusing me talking about a cd-rom
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheMask wrote: »
    I have ordered the exact one for my tv..correct make and part number but the seller is confusing me talking about a cd-rom
    If it truly is a genuine dongle for your TV then there would be no need of a CD. As I posted the TV will have the necessary drivers for it built in. And no mechanism for them to be upgraded by this CD either I would think.

So you do have to wonder what it is exactly you are getting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it truly is a genuine dongle for your TV then there would be no need of a CD. As I posted the TV will have the necessary drivers for it built in. And no mechanism for them to be upgraded by this CD either I would think.

So you do have to wonder what it is exactly you are getting.

Buying this

Philips - Wireless USB Adapter for Philips TVs* PTA01/00 - Wi-Fi802.11b/g n with driver disk..is the disc if you want to use the USB stick in a pc

tecnical specifications:
    Convenience
    Ease of Installation: Autoinstall, Plug and Play
    Connectivity
    PC network link: DLNA 1.5 certified
    Wireless LAN: Wi-Fi802.11b/g n-specification, WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup)
    WLAN security support: WPA, WPA2
    Wi-Fi MediaConnect: Philips PC application, (Software install required), supports any media of host PC*, output stream:, resolution up to 1280 x 720, frame rate up to 30 fps, Stereo sound
    Dimensions
    Weight incl. Packaging: 0.02 kgProduct weight: 0.11 kg
    Box width: 135 mm
    Box height: 20 mm
    Box depth: 210 mm
    Product depth: 82 mm
    Product height: 14 mmProduct width: 29 mm
    Accessories
    Included accessories: Quick start guide, Warranty Leaflet, Wi-Fi MediaConnect CD, USB extension cable
    Related Products
    Compatible with: 32PFL7605, 32PFL7655, 32PFL7665, 32PFL7675, 32PFL7685, 32PFL7695, 32PFL8605, 37PFL7605, 37PFL7675, 37PFL8605, 40PFL7605, 40PFL8605, 42PFL7655, 42PFL7665, 42PFL7675, 42PFL7685, 42PFL7695, 42PFL8605, 46PFL7605, 46PFL7655, 46PFL7665, 46PFL7695, 46PFL8605, 46PFL8685, 52PFL8605
    Wi-Fi MediaConn PC requirement
    Recommended requirements: 1 GB RAM, 200 MB free hard disk space, Intel® Core™ 2 Duo 2.1 GHz, Broadband internet connection, Wi-Fi 802.11n LAN, Windows Vista/Windows 7, Windows XP, Wi-Fi 802.11n router and PC, WPA wireless security, WPS one touch wireless setup
    Minimum requirements: 200 MB free hard disk space, 512 MB RAM, Intel® Core™ 2 Duo 1.8 GHz, Broadband internet connection, Wi-Fi 802.11g LAN, Windows 7 (1 GB RAM), Windows Vista (1 GB RAM), Windows XP, Wi-Fi 802.11g router and PC
    Operating system not supported: Linux, Mac, Mac OS X
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like the CD is for the PC media streaming application. Not really drivers for use in the TV.

But it does sort of beg the question. If this is a product Phillips produce for their TVs then surely it comes in a pack with the dongle and CD included? So why should the seller not have any CDs. Does seem just a trifle odd to me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like the CD is for the PC media streaming application. Not really drivers for use in the TV.

But it does sort of beg the question. If this is a product Phillips produce for their TVs then surely it comes in a pack with the dongle and CD included? So why should the seller not have any CDs. Does seem just a trifle odd to me.

Yeah it ia strange one..might naff them off and go somewhere else to be honest
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the Philips site
    http://www.philips.co.uk/c/televisions/pta01_00/prd/;jsessionid=73513161EDC39BDC8C5CF10313B0EC3A.app101-drp1?t=specifications
    User manual available here
    http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/cpindex.pl?ctn=SNU5600/00&hlt=Link_UserManuals&mid=Link_UserManuals&scy=GB&slg=ENG

As the manual is dated 2007 I suppose it's possible that the seller has 'end of line' stock of the dongles and so may not necessarily have the CD with the drivers/software for the PC although these appear to be downloadable