Options

Mismanaged Bands/acts/groups/singers?

Steve_HarrimanSteve_Harriman Posts: 1,115
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As the Title says who do you think has been mismanaged over the years???

I can think of a few. The Wanted were Mismanaged I think. They were starting to release some good singles up to " Walk like Rihanna" The song was terrible and desperate effort to get some lime light. Half of group didn't want the song released. Then the big delay for the album was a huge mistake as well as the gap was to big and no one buys albums after 5 singles have been released before the album.

Take That were poorly Mismanaged on the progress album. After the Flood was released it was ages before the next single which turned out to be "Kidz" which was a great single choice but it had no promotion for it and the single bombed in and around 28 I think which was shocking as it should of been top 5 at least. The following singles from Progress all flopped due to a lack of promotion I think.

I also think that to a certain extant so has Katy Perry. Birthday was a bad a choice for a single [good song but not single material ] The Video was shocking and there was no Promotion at all. It had no official uk release date so it seemed and it flopped but should done at least higher end of the top 20.

Going back down the years Emma Bunton was very poorly mismanaged on her first album. It is a brilliant album one which still sounds good today but the single choices after " What took you so long" were shocking.

" We re not gonna sleep tonight" was released in the uk at Christmas and flopped . It was never a single never mind a Christmas one. Some very good songs on that album were begging to be singles and the album promotion was scrapped after " We're not going to sleep tonight flopped .

So I think you get the idea of this thread who would you say has been or is or was mismanaged?

Comments

• Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,990
    Forum Member
    I agree The Wanted in the Scooter Braun times were treated terribly. The TV show was a disaster for them because of the glossy style it was done in. A fly on the wall documentary that was real would have done much better. I understand the wait for the album due to Nathan's voice issues but it was too long and they neglected the UK massively.

The Saturdays - 7 years, 7 albums and 7 terrible lead single choices. Their US campaign was a joke too.

Sugababes/MKS - The handling of Keisha leaving the band was just bad. They firstly should have tried to keep them together for the album release and then split up. After that, they waited far too long for Freedom. If Freedom was released in 2010, it would have had a fighting chance.

MKS should be used as an example on how to NOT launch a group. The three girls are constantly contradicting statements they've made in the past about each other and other members and in over two years, the only thing fans have is one monumental flop of a single and promises that an album is coming soon.
  • Options
    Steve_HarrimanSteve_Harriman Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree The Wanted in the Scooter Braun times were treated terribly. The TV show was a disaster for them because of the glossy style it was done in. A fly on the wall documentary that was real would have done much better. I understand the wait for the album due to Nathan's voice issues but it was too long and they neglected the UK massively.

The Saturdays - 7 years, 7 albums and 7 terrible lead single choices. Their US campaign was a joke too.

Sugababes/MKS - The handling of Keisha leaving the band was just bad. They firstly should have tried to keep them together for the album release and then split up. After that, they waited far too long for Freedom. If Freedom was released in 2010, it would have had a fighting chance.

MKS should be used as an example on how to NOT launch a group. The three girls are constantly contradicting statements they've made in the past about each other and other members and in over two years, the only thing fans have is one monumental flop of a single and promises that an album is coming soon.

Sugababes/Mks goes without saying really although I think Mks tried to be clever by making fans wait and wait for new material but it backfired and In the end no one cared . I know Nathan had surgery on his throat but I thought that was after the album was finished wasn't it??

Wasn't the album delayed because the band wasn't happy with it so recorded a whole new album? could be wrong though
  • Options
    GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only one name ever springs to mind for me when you talk about singers that were terribly mismanaged: Shayne Ward. I know he's hardly an amazing vocalist, but after his shoddy winner's single, his second single No Promises was GREAT and the video was FLAWLESS. He's a good looking guy and can (to an extent) move. I'd have had him down as the UK's answer to Justin Timberlake if they could have got him working with top producers and publicised him properly.

Instead they gave him the godawful If that's okay with you/U hang up. I actually like the former as a guilty pleasure, but it's horrendous! Then he just freefell until he was dropped.

Dreadfully handled; I feel genuinely sorry for him because he could have been huge if he'd been managed right (imo obviously).

I'd agree re: Saturdays though. They should be bigger than they are.

ETA: I think both Shayne Ward and the Saturdays suffered from the fact that the way of publicising singles changed so much when they were being launched. Ward certainly began his career as the traditional methods of getting on TV for pop acts like them kind of died. Things like CD:UK and Top of the Pops used to have people like them on every week, and there's nothing like that now. I don't think their management caught on quickly enough that things had to be done differently.
  • Options
    RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Colonel Tom Parker was taking 50% of Elvis's earnings towards the end of his career.

Also The Wrens.
  • Options
    TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frankie Goes To Hollywood were poorly handled in regard to their debut album. Fans were made to wait months for its release and it finally came out filled with remixes of their hits and pretty mediocre covers.,
  • Options
    vkmaxvkmax Posts: 3,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sugababes.

Out and out. They were stupid to sign a 10 album contract with Crown and should've just broken it. No decent manager would allow a situation within the group to esculate to the point of a FOURTH line up in 8 years.

Not to mention that after TIMW every release decision was poor.

The image on "Change" was awful. Matching bright yellow satin dresses for a group known to be sultry and moody? The single choices were poor and not doing a fourth single was poor to rush out another album.

"Catfights and spotlights" was a brilliant album but dreadful single choices, zero promotion, rubbish album cover

"Sweet 7" just shouldn't have happened regardless of who recorded it and even if they did have a new line-up they should've handled it a lot better or basically sat those girls down and been like "suck it up for another six months and get this album promoted then call it a day"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sugababes/Mks goes without saying really although I think Mks tried to be clever by making fans wait and wait for new material but it backfired and In the end no one cared . I know Nathan had surgery on his throat but I thought that was after the album was finished wasn't it??

Wasn't the album delayed because the band wasn't happy with it so recorded a whole new album? could be wrong though

It was completed before his surgery but Nathan had more prominence on the album and the other members can't match his vocals so for promotion, it was best to have him there, plus it gave them a big story to talk about (how Nathan had recovered and could still pull off his vocals).

And yeah, the first version of the album was just scrapped because it wasn't good enough. The latter push backs were due to Nathan's surgery.
  • Options
    vkmaxvkmax Posts: 3,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Saturdays are another for me actually.

The first album was handled well except for pushing ''Work' back in favour of 'Can't get enough'.

The second album was a mess and everything was a mess from there especially the most recent album

May 2012
    March 2013
    June 2013
    October 2013
    April 2014

For one album? Seriously. 30 Days should've been tagged on to a re-release of the third album rather than just giving up on it straight away. They should've just shot a follow up to 'Disco Love' without Frankie the album was finished at the beginning of 2013, waiting six months for another single was stupid.

And not releasing 'On your radar' after 'All fired up' was equally stupid. Labels always mess up by pushing for a Christmas release date. See Stooshe. Not releasing the album after 'Black Heart' has all but ended their career.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    vkmax wrote: »
    The Saturdays are another for me actually.

The first album was handled well except for pushing ''Work' back in favour of 'Can't get enough'.

The second album was a mess and everything was a mess from there especially the most recent album

May 2012
    March 2013
    June 2013
    October 2013
    April 2014

For one album? Seriously. 30 Days should've been tagged on to a re-release of the third album rather than just giving up on it straight away. They should've just shot a follow up to 'Disco Love' without Frankie the album was finished at the beginning of 2013, waiting six months for another single was stupid.

And not releasing 'On your radar' after 'All fired up' was equally stupid. Labels always mess up by pushing for a Christmas release date. See Stooshe. Not releasing the album after 'Black Heart' has all but ended their career.

I would agree. The whole Wordshaker era was a complete disaster and then they gave up on it and released the Headlines EP. It wasn't their best album but there were some good songs on it. One Shot should have been a single! It should have been the lead single, then Ego, then Lose Control to tie in with St Trinian's 2. Forever Is Over was the wrong single to lead the campaign with. They really should have just re-released Wordshaker with the new songs. Then releasing three singles before On Your Radar was released was just asking for the album to flop. It should have been released on the back of All Fired Up. They always seem to pick the wrong lead singles though.
  • Options
    MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    The Saturdays however I think part of that problem was they just believed they were better than they actually came across.
  • Options
    LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't say The Wanted were mismanaged, I think they had little to offer the industry. Same goes for The Saturdays. Granted the latter are mismanaged in the context of their manager obviously doesn't know what the **** their audience is and throws them on the wrong shows for performances and interviews. I mean really, no teenage girl pays attention to This Morning, especially when the group sit down to be interviewed after a segment on "ex boyfriend threw acid in my babies face" (hypothetically speaking). But I still think they have little to offer the industry, like The Wanted. There are more interesting girl groups around.
  • Options
    Ally_BowieAlly_Bowie Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a huge hardcore supporter of the Saturdays since Up, I really cannot defend them anymore, it really has been a shambles looking back and although I've shrugged off criticisms in the past, it's plain to see with the current campaign that it's curtains now for them, sad as I may be about that, its time to face the facts sadly.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Ally_Bowie wrote: »
    As a huge hardcore supporter of the Saturdays since Up, I really cannot defend them anymore, it really has been a shambles looking back and although I've shrugged off criticisms in the past, it's plain to see with the current campaign that it's curtains now for them, sad as I may be about that, its time to face the facts sadly.

I've been a fan ever since I heard If This Is Love on a music channel in summer 2008 and even went to their first tour but I sadly have to agree. I'd say they might release another album after the Greatest Hits and then split up or go on hiatus. If the album gets released and it flops then it'll be curtains for them :(
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Look at most bands, and they have been taken for a ride at times.

Blondie were pretty much skint when they split up in 1982.

The Beatles even had financial difficulties due to poor deals.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I disagree about The wanted. They were managed incredibly well. The material became poor and their egos increased after one hit in america. That is why it went all tits up for them.

They were given so many opportunities in the US. A reality show, appearances on top rated shows, tours and being seen with the right people either on stage or off stage. But people were not interested.
  • Options
    Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leona Lewis has been badly mismanaged. Wrong single after wrong single is being picked and its infuriating.

Spirit started well, but Take A Bow should have been released as the third worldwide single, which would have probably gave her a third US hit. She needed more hits to establish herself.

Run should have been made a worldwide single, as it was huge in the markets it was released but was never pushed. Why the US label choose I Will Be instead of Run confuses the life out of me. Plus if Forgive Me was being pushed, they might aswell have made it a US single.

Echo started wrong from the beginning, Happy should never have led the campaign, but even so they should have just brushed it off and continued releasing singles. The campaign was scrapped in the US after that, and in the UK after the second single I Got You. Can't Breathe, Naked and Lost Then Found ft OneRepublic, who were still big at that point, would have probably gave her at least some decent sized hits.

And Glassheart was just a mess, lead single Collide was surrounded in legal drama and was quickly abandoned. They then launched with Trouble, which wasn't strong enough for radio. Leona then announced Fireflies as the second single, it was sent to radio only for a few weeks down the line to be changed to Lovebirds, which flopped.

But how any of those were chosen as single when she had the huge hit that was Glassheart and then also really strong follow ups with Come Alive and Sugar I don't know. Even after those, tracks like Favourite Scar and Shake You Up could have worked as 4th and 5th singles. That was a massively mismanaged campaign.

Hopefully things will get better now she has changed management teams and signed to Universal's Island Records, she's now at a proper label.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I disagree about The wanted. They were managed incredibly well. The material became poor and their egos increased after one hit in america. That is why it went all tits up for them.

They were given so many opportunities in the US. A reality show, appearances on top rated shows, tours and being seen with the right people either on stage or off stage. But people were not interested.

Maybe in the US they got those opportunities but once they started getting them, promotion pretty much stopped in the UK and Europe.

If they kept on with the UK, they could still have a career here.
  • Options
    MybelleMybelle Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    I agree with how Take That were managed after The Flood. I think Kidz would have done better if they'd been allowed to sing the song on X Factor as originally agreed until Simon Cowell said no. They should have stood up to him and insisted rather than making the band sing The Flood for the second time.

I can't believe the way one of my favourite groups Hurts are managed over here. They are huge in Eastern Europe etc, but it's like their record company over here simply don't know how to market them. They fill huge venues in Europe and struggle to fill tiny venues here. Their single Blind is a prime example of a song that had the capacity to be huge if they'd been marketed properly here. Instead, they didn't bother and it didn't even make the charts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIgaWx48U8A
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie always spring to mind they were absolutely rinsed whilst those behind the scenes were bathing in Champagne.

Lady Gaga her single releases are a shambles her team well running their mouth damaging her reputation and overall a messy entourage filled with yes people and hangers on.

Alison Moyet completely misunderstood by her label forced to sing covers and material she was not comfortable with. Forced to re-record her Essex album and had to go on an 8 year hiatus to be freed and able to make the music SHE wanted.

Kylie Munogue not since Fever has she had a truly good campaign.