Options

disconnected number to fool WhatsApp servers

jaanfxjaanfx Posts: 264
Forum Member
I recently changed my iPhone phone number but forgot to change the number within WhatsApp. Which meant that people receiving texts from WhatsApp were getting it from old number.

Then somebody sent a WhatsApp text to a family member of mine - calling another family member Jimmy Savile and warning to keep his kids away from him.

Now everyone thinks I sent that message but I have no knowledge of it.

It seems that someone used the disconnected number to fool WhatsApp servers.

I called the police who have no idea what I am talking about and asked me to speak with WhatsApp. I emailed WhatsApp but don't expect to get a reply.

Family is mad with me. Is there anyway I can find out who sent it and how they sent it?

Comments

• Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jaanfx wrote: »
    It seems that someone used the disconnected number to fool WhatsApp servers.
    Extremely unlikely, bordering on impossible. It's far more likely that either you sent the message, or someone else sent it from your phone.
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    I think someone has your old number,and is possibly playing a joke (however bad taste that joke may be)
    Explain this to your family - I'm sure they know you well enough to accept you didnt send the text...
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roush wrote: »
    Extremely unlikely, bordering on impossible. It's far more likely that either you sent the message, or someone else sent it from your phone.

Well this, really. I'm fairly sure Whatsapp wouldn't even work because the app is attached to the number on the SIM so would need re-registering.
  • Options
    JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well this, really. I'm fairly sure Whatsapp wouldn't even work because the app is attached to the number on the SIM so would need re-registering.

I thought that but it seems not. I went to Spain earlier this year and put a Spanish SIM card in my phone, and my whatsapp continued to work as usual.
  • Options
    Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You phoned the police? lol

Your account links to your phone number.

http://www.whatsapp.com/faq/en/iphone/24881042