Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    quinnicus wrote: »
    Data mining of YOUR information

"Data mining can reveal hidden threats and opportunities
    Heterogeneous segments demand differential treatment"

Page 4 - Conclusions
    http://www.hgca.com/publications/documents/events/1010_Andrew_Fearne.pdf

Bearing in mind, this is YOUR information, going to another external company for data analysis. Then sold off to other companies.

* Dietry Requirements
    * Family Composition

See Page 1 - Clubcard Data (for what they collect, and that is everything)

Thanks for that, I just tweeted them to see what they say. I'm sure I read that they only use Tesco affiliated companies (what ever that means) but we shall see what they say.
  • Options
    quinnicusquinnicus Posts: 856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No probs - please post back what they say, im interested myself. Although this will be "a Tesco Affiliated Company" :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's the problem with Asda knowing your postcode ?

What are they going to do :confused:
    Paranoid nonsense .

If they want to know my postcode then fine . Its not like they can take out any finance or do anything to my property
  • Options
    fainéantfainéant Posts: 2,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Surely if Tesco wanted to do some really sinister monitoring stuff, they could put nano-machines in the pasta sauce that would track your movements?
    I can understand why they might want to know where I live and where I shop but what happens to their pasta sauce as it passes through my digestive system is just taking things too far!
  • Options
    Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 26,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BTW I refuse club-cards/nectar cards and all the likes. They give you sweet FA back, in regards to the amount of data and information that they collect.

If you do that they will assign you a "customer number" based on an encrypted form of the credit/debit card you use to pay for the items. So you still get tracked with none of the benefits.
  • Options
    HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,290
    Forum Member
    Coincidentally enough I was asked today in my local ASDA. I refused to give my postcode because experience tells me it usually leads onto other things. Junk mail being an obvious example.

I have, in other stores at various times, been asked for name address etc.. It's usually "for the warranty" :rolleyes:. I refused to give these details in one particular store telling the Sales Assistant that "The Sale of Goods Act will suffice".

He gave me a knowing grin!!

ETA: Why would staff complain about asking for postcodes taking too long? It takes far longer for people to pay by debit/credit card. Oh for the Cash Only till once more!!
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that, I just tweeted them to see what they say. I'm sure I read that they only use Tesco affiliated companies (what ever that means) but we shall see what they say.

They said they're pretty sure they don't but he'll look into it & get back to me, aka consult legal for correctly worded response.
  • Options
    owlie81owlie81 Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    Post codes are one thing, you wait till the shops start asking for email addresses. Although this is unlikely to take part in supermarkets, but while I lived in the USA many clothes shops always asked for an email address or phone number even if you were paying with cash.

The spiel was something like ' ...do you have an email address you can give us so we can send you exclusive offers and blah blah blah' i.e. junk. I would always refuse saying I don't give out my email address.

It's so annoying. You can't seem to just pay for something without 10 million questions: have you got a clubcard/loyalty card, are you collecting school vouchers, how many bags do you have, do you need help packing, did you find everything you were looking for today, do you want to join our credit card/store card? All this hassle makes online shopping easier in some respects.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    klendathu wrote: »
    What's the problem with Asda knowing your postcode ?

What are they going to do :confused:
    Paranoid nonsense .

If they want to know my postcode then fine . Its not like they can take out any finance or do anything to my property

So whats your postcode (real one) ?

Time to put your money where that typing is :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    owlie81 wrote: »
    Post codes are one thing, you wait till the shops start asking for email addresses. Although this is unlikely to take part in supermarkets, but while I lived in the USA many clothes shops always asked for an email address or phone number even if you were paying with cash.

The spiel was something like ' ...do you have an email address you can give us so we can send you exclusive offers and blah blah blah' i.e. junk. I would always refuse saying I don't give out my email address.

It's so annoying. You can't seem to just pay for something without 10 million questions: have you got a clubcard/loyalty card, are you collecting school vouchers, how many bags do you have, do you need help packing, did you find everything you were looking for today, do you want to join our credit card/store card? All this hassle makes online shopping easier in some respects.

Email addresses/phone numbers are way tooo far

The one that I hate is : Do you need help packing?
    In a bad mood one day, i replied with : Do I look like I need help packing.
    My mums a checkout chick at Tesco, so i hear all the stories of customers :) (she also told me off for being rude etc, and its just that they are told to say it)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By the way, from a postcode, you can determine quite a bit.

EG.
    - From your postcode, you can know the area of where one lives
    - Obviously how far away you are from the stores
    - And what stores you are likely to shop at. (then they can to analysis on the trend of those stores on what products they sell mainly)
    - This also then gives you the average house price of the area
    - Which can also determine the likelyhood of renting/owning your own property
    - Which then you can determine the likelyhood of you working or on benefits
    - Which you can then determine the general household earnings
    - From household earnings, you can determine whether you are well educated etc
    - Also what types of foods you are likely to purchase. IE own branded/branded stuff. The likelyhood of the amount of fruit and vegetables to sugery/fatty junk foods.
    - This also gives them your general life expectancy
    - Which leads to your general health.

The list goes on....

- They can also do marketing campains in the area for things like health products, chocolates etc

All from a postcode (and all sweeping generalisations)
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No probs - please post back what they say, im interested myself. Although this will be "a Tesco Affiliated Company" :)
    @Tesco wrote:
    This is a option that you can select upon registration. If you have opted out, then the information is only shared within Tesco.

was their reply.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unbelievable. A little "opt-out" tick box and probably hidden somewhere too.

I wonder how many havent relised this "option" to opt-out when registering.

Thanks for that.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many on this thread wear tin foil hats? At least one I'd bet:rolleyes:

Who gives a sod about what Tesco et al know about you?.....big deal...'your' data is all over the place anyway so I'd not worry about Asda asking for a post code or if Tesco know what coffee you buy.

Another thread providing fodder for the paranoid:yawn:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So your happy for everyone and sundry to know your details, and also dont care where and whom they are shared with?
  • Options
    charger21charger21 Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was asked my postcode the other day aswell so I asked the lassie for hers. Now im going round for some nookie tonight ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    charger21 wrote: »
    I was asked my postcode the other day aswell so I asked the lassie for hers. Now im going round for some nookie tonight ;)

Yeah, ok then. Salt and a Pinch comes to mind :cool:
  • Options
    MadamfluffMadamfluff Posts: 3,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1482200/Magistrate-fined-for-keeping-lost-Rolex.html

I cut up my my Tesco club card when I read that and will never have another one
  • Options
    DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work in ASDA and it's to see how far people travel to the store. For example we have a free bus service so it's a good idea to know where customers are coming from to improve the service and add new routes.

You don't have to give your full postcode, just the first part. Or you don't have to give it at all, I heard the cashiers moaning last night as it was so busy and they had to ask for postcodes and it took too long

We were told they need the whole postcode.

Its data collection but there isnt much they can learn from a customer from a postcode nor can they identify you from your postcode. An entire street usually has the same postcode. Im really baffled over why people are so suspicious about it.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So your happy for everyone and sundry to know your details, and also dont care where and whom they are shared with?

What details? Name and address? already freely available, what shopping I buy? great, the discount vouchers become centred on what I buy.

It all means nothing. The second mommy recorded your birth you went into the system its as simple as that. Dozens and dozens of 'agencies' can access 'you' in the UK including your credit history, tax records et al so I really don't give a hoot about a blooming club card lol.

I don't do the 'tin foil hat' thing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    malpasc wrote: »
    I'd lie and give a postcode from somewhere like Aberdeen or the Shetland Islands even though my local Asda is 50 yards from my house in east London..

I use the postcode of the Lidl in town for everything like this :D I remember it because their site made me enter it every time I changed pages for a bit. It's pretty good as it has the same first part, but I often feel guilty about the volume of junk mail for daffy duck they must receive!
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I never get asked. Probably because they already know all my information from their store/points card.
  • Options
    DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    I was asked to day completely caught of guard and gave it and i was wondering what it was for until coming on here :o

I hope this is not a new thing being ruled out to supermarkets cause its going to be a nightmare for us retail workers who have to deal with the abuse when its not us but the company telling us to ask customers. If I am told to ask customers im going to refuse cause in my eyes its none of the stores business.

I hate it when shops force this sort of stuff on employees cause its not them that have to face the wrath of some customers head on!
  • Options
    Neil5234Neil5234 Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey all

Just done my weekly shopping this morning at ASDA. When paying, I was asked for my postcode. I questioned this on why do they want it, and the response was "I was just told to ask". Subsequently I refused to give it to them.

This seems to me, yet another data collection exercise, intrusion into our privacy and a big brother analysis. As your information to a company if valuable.

Has anyone else had this recently, or If any ASDA staff on these forums know why?

Cheers
    What next hey....asking what position your wife likes it......it's only your bloody postcode for christs sake to try and make customer service better.
  • Options
    ScubyScuby Posts: 1,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been asked when in Asda, I have no problem giving it it is 18700, I live in Spain, that fools them lol