What is the worst James Bond movie you have seen?

guttridgeguttridge Posts: 1,884
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Mine has to be DIE another day? What is yours?

Comments

• BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Die Another Day because of the eye gougingly awful script and effects with Quantum of Solace a close second on account of not at all feeling like a bond film until the end credits. At least Quantum had decent acting though. By DAD Pierce was phoning it in.
  • The AmbassadorThe Ambassador Posts: 5,631
    Forum Member
    i have to agree with Die Another Day.

An invisible car, some of the worst CGI seen in a big budget film and Madonna not just contributing the worst theme song in the series but also appearing on screen.
  • necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably a tie between Thunderball and Diamonds are Forever. I can handle Die Another Die because I at least can enjoy how everything is so OTT. What I can't handle is a mediocre and boring movie. That underwater scene in Thunderball for example seemed to go on forever.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,268
    Forum Member
    Die Another Day because of the eye gougingly awful script and effects with Quantum of Solace a close second on account of not at all feeling like a bond film until the end credits. At least Quantum had decent acting though. By DAD Pierce was phoning it in.
    Probably a tie between Thunderball and Diamonds are Forever. I can handle Die Another Die because I at least can enjoy how everything is so OTT. What I can't handle is a mediocre and boring movie. That underwater scene in Thunderball for example seemed to go on forever.

Hmm... I'm torn because i agree with both these comments.

I'll throw another hat into the ring and say that i really don't like Octopussy. At least A View To A Kill had Christopher Walken & Grace Jones.
  • D. MorganD. Morgan Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hated Quantum of Solace - so boring.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Die Another Day*
    Quantum of Solace
    A View to a Kill

are the worst Bond movies

* It has to be said though, that DAD does have a very intriguing and strong pre-credits sequence, culminating in Bond's abandonment, capture and torture etc in North Korea. Went downhill very quickly from there though.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Octopussy & Quantum of Solace.
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've only seen Die Another Day once, at the cinema. Can't remember much about it now.

I can't stand On Her Majesty's Secret Service, mainly because of George Lazenby. I think he is abysmal.

The Man With the Golden Gun is a pretty dull affair.

Don't like A View To A Kill much.

Actually do like Quantum of Solace now. I've warmed to it after repeat viewings.

Notice a mention of Diamonds Are Forever. I think that's a pretty good film. It's fun! Love the camp Blofeld.

I'll vote for OHMSS. Could have been alright with Connery, but not as it is.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know about worst, but I didn't like these:

Moonraker
    The Man with the Golden Gun
    Licence to Kill
    A View to Kill
    For Your Eyes Only

Edited: also Octopussy.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Die Another Day - the worst Bond film *and* the worst Bond song.
  • necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    Hmm... I'm torn because i agree with both these comments.

I'll throw another hat into the ring and say that i really don't like Octopussy. At least A View To A Kill had Christopher Walken & Grace Jones.

The only Bond films I have left to see are the 2 Timothy Dalton ones, For Your Eyes Only and Octopussy. I never imagined Octopussy to be a good movie, wow what a clunker of a title :D
  • Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quantum of Solace, the Bourne Identity style close up action scenes didn't do it for me, didn't like them much in the Bourne films either.

And the little french villain wasn't very intimidating, as Bond villains go he was one of the worst.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quantum of Solace and probably a controversial choice, From Russia With Love.Never been able to watch either all the way through without falling asleep at some point.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,268
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    Die Another Day - the worst Bond film *and* the worst Bond song.

Nope. Don't agree. It's a good Madonna song of that era and things like:

All Time High, For Your Eyes Only, The Man With The Golden Gun are far worse.
  • roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Die Another Day is a reasonable shout for worst Bond flick. Not because of the invisible car or poor CGI - Bond films have had plenty of stupid gadgets and poor effects over the years - but simply because it's a crap film. Really crap.

Diamonds are Forever is also pretty shoddy. Quantum of Solace was okay I thought, personally. It's a middling Bond film.

So yeah, I'd say DAD and DAF are the two worst films. DAD, they just lost the plot completely - an utter mess of a film. DAF felt very lazy and uninspired.
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    My favourite Bond regularly changes but worst is always from

Thunderball - so slow and boring

Live and Let Die - good song but the film has dated badly and the blaxploitation stuff is quite frankly embarrassing.

Octopussy - incomprehensible plot. Eggs? Clowns? Tennis? Stupid name and even more stupid film.

Tomorrow Never Dies - poor villain. And a Bond film shouldn't be made to look like a Hong Kong actioner.

Licence to Kill - its not a bad thriller in its own right but its just not a Bond film.

Die Another Day - just because of far too many reasons.
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,102
    Forum Member

I'll vote for OHMSS. Could have been alright with Connery, but not as it is.[/QUOT

Then you are not a proper fan of Bond films. ask anyone who is a casual viewer and they will say "the George Lazenby one is the worst one". But it is not. Any Bond fan will tell you it is actually one of the best Bond films and has stood the test of time and is actually in a league of its own. Yes George Lazenby isn't the best actor but the film is totally unique when compared to any other early Bond films.

As for the worst film in the series. I really don't know. I like them all. I have never been disappointed with a newly released Bond film.
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JEFF62 wrote: »

I'll vote for OHMSS. Could have been alright with Connery, but not as it is.[/QUOT

Then you are not a proper fan of Bond films. ask anyone who is a casual viewer and they will say "the George Lazenby one is the worst one". But it is not. Any Bond fan will tell you it is actually one of the best Bond films and has stood the test of time and is actually in a league of its own. Yes George Lazenby isn't the best actor but the film is totally unique when compared to any other early Bond films.

As for the worst film in the series. I really don't know. I like them all. I have never been disappointed with a newly released Bond film.

You haven't grasped the fact this is all subjective. Also..........'proper fan'? Really?:D

I can accept any of the other Bond actors in the role, but not Lazenby. He's beyond wooden. God knows what they were thinking of when they signed him up.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    The only Bond films I have left to see are the 2 Timothy Dalton ones, For Your Eyes Only and Octopussy. I never imagined Octopussy to be a good movie, wow what a clunker of a title :D

For Your Eyes Only is one of my favourites. Moore is getting on a bit in it, and it makes for some cringeworthy scenes with Lynn-Holly Johnson's character. It's a fun, back to basics affair though (following the outer space of Moonraker) and has arguably the best ski chase sequence this side of On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

The other thing to note in it is that Liam Gallagher obviously styled himself on Locque, the silent hitman :D
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't say any of them are bad , but the ones I watch least are For Your Eyes Only , I know it was trying to re-establish a more realistic Bond but it's kinda dull much of the time , and (and I know I'm not supposed to say this because amongst hardcore fans its one of the faves ) - From Russia with Love , it doesn't do a lot for me , Dr. No seemed far better , and when I was a kid I always thought From Russia was the first movie 'cos it looks so much more old fashioned than Dr. No , it looks like it was made in he 50's .

• Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Never liked Bond movies. Mostly utter rubbish with crappy special effects. The only one I can watch is Live and Let Die.
  • timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me,ANY of the films that had cardboard cut out,wooden
    Roger Moore in. Even the Welsh lad was better and he is a
    well serious Shakespearean actor, y'know!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    The first half of Die Another Day is very good, but then it goes horribly, horribly wrong. Quantum Of Solace is ruined by shaky-cam editing and a poor villain. OHMSS could have been an excellent film were it not for George Lazenby's dreadful stint as Bond. I realise many Bond fans think it's one of the best films, but I can't look past Lazenby's Bond. After all, the whole film centres around him! Also the film ends on a downer, as the ending was originally to be the intro for Diamonds Are Forever, but that was not possible once it became clear Lazenby wasn't returning.

So, my worst Bond films:

1) OHMSS
    2) Quantum Of Solace
    3) Die Another Day
    4) View To A Kill (Old man Bond wearing a cardigan and cooking quiche :o)
    5) Thunderball (Just really really boring)
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anything with Moore or Brosnan.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A Quantum of Solace ( just not like a Bond movie)
    Die Another Day
    The Man with the Golden Gun

And in that order.